Low b12

vbrown

I have diabetes and I have been suffering with severe pains in my legs and when I visited a consultant he said it was because of sever low b12 caused by diabetic meds I have been spending the last few week pracally sleeping the day away as im so tired does anyone have this same problem and what did you do to help
I am visiting a doctor today

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need a series of loading shots. B12 is usually given in the muscle.

How can your consultant be sure it was the meds causing the deficiency? Lack of B12 is quite common.

vbrown

The neurosurgeon said that sometime it is cause by the diabetic and the meds etc I was baffled myself but I'm in a continued state of fatigue constantly and find it hard to be awake for more than a few hours at a time

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
B12 shots will help. I had them years ago but somehow my body has completely reversed from needing them to completely off the high scale with having the shots stopped about 5 years ago. Unheard of as normally the shots will always be needed. Pernicious anaemia can be absolutely exhausting so I have complete sympathy with the tiredness you are feeling.

vbrown

Thanks guys I am visiting my gp today after the trip to the hospital consultant and I hope that he can solve it I can't keep sleeping all day I have things to do

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Metformin can cause vit B12 depletion, as can pernicious anaemia. Hope you feel better soon.