Low blood pressure after eating

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For some time I've noticed that after my mid day lunch i was coming over dizzy after i check my blood which is fine i check my blood pressure and its very low. 80/45
after sitting down for half an hour and drinking a pint of water this seams to do the trick.
dose anybody get the same problem and what do they do ?
I don't want yo change my blood pressure Meds because the rest of the time my blood pressure good. 120/60 :(

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For some time I've noticed that after my mid day lunch i was coming over dizzy after i check my blood which is fine i check my blood pressure and its very low. 80/45
after sitting down for half an hour and drinking a pint of water this seams to do the trick.
dose anybody get the same problem and what do they do ?
I don't want yo change my blood pressure Meds because the rest of the time my blood pressure good. 120/60 :(
Found this :
"
  • Low blood pressure after eating (postprandial hypotension). This sudden drop in blood pressure after eating affects mostly older adults.

Blood flows to your digestive tract after you eat. Ordinarily, your body increases your heart rate and constricts certain blood vessels to help maintain normal blood pressure. But in some people these mechanisms fail, leading to dizziness, faintness and falls.

Postprandial hypotension is more likely to affect people with high blood pressure or autonomic nervous system disorders such as Parkinson's disease.

Lowering the dose of blood pressure drugs and eating small, low-carbohydrate meals might help reduce symptoms.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/low-blood-pressure/symptoms-causes/dxc-20316599

Perhaps run it past your GP ?
Geoff

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thanks Geoff
i might try having a drink before lunch and a smaller lunch.a last result would be the GP as i dont have a lot of faith in him and would not trust him with my diabetes after he tried to give me metformin and he had no idea of my blood results or that i was on a pump with a Hbc1 6.2.
i been T1 for 45 years and much rather follow medical advice from my consultant.

D

Deleted Account

a last result would be the GP as i dont have a lot of faith in him and would not trust him with my diabetes after he tried to give me metformin and he had no idea of my blood results or that i was on a pump with a Hbc1 6.2.
i been T1 for 45 years and much rather follow medical advice from my consultant.
I understand your frustration with your GP - it's common when discussing diabetes.
However, I think the point @librarising made is not diabetes related.