Low blood sugars

Hartnell6

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My current blood sugar is 4.2 (which is is normal range I know) but I'm feeling shaky sweaty and like I'm going to pass out. I've had a banana and now having small glass of coke.

I'm having another hba1c check Wednesday. Why would I feel like this is it because my blood sugars have been higher?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you don't normally test this low then it can take a while to get used to lower level. Try not to panic and overfeed the symptoms as it will make getting used to healthy levels of blood sugar harder. Easier to say than do.

Maybe have something to eat with much less sugar and wait 20 mins and test again.

A banana and coke would make me spike quite high and feel ill/tired. What are your readings now? Hope you are feeling better.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
11.9 mmol

That's the rebound effect.
The banana and coke is not a good idea!
What is happening when you feel shaky and other symptoms, is you are used to running on higher blood glucose levels, however because you have been reducing your carbs and sugars, your body and brain is telling you that it is not used to these levels even if it is in normal levels range.
It will take a couple of weeks to get used to these normal levels again, so don't be surprised to have the same symptoms.
Next time have something that has not got so many carbs or sugars in it.
Fluctuating blood glucose levels is not good for type two people.
Having good control and eating to your meter is.
Hope you feel better soon.

Hartnell6

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you I saw dietitian this week and I've lost over a stone in weight and my sugars are still high despite sticking to diet plan. Hence why she is doing another hba1c to see if my levels have changed since being diagnosed. I won't be drinking Coke again I'll try something less carby next time I feel like this. It's hard adjusting

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you I saw dietitian this week and I've lost over a stone in weight and my sugars are still high despite sticking to diet plan. Hence why she is doing another hba1c to see if my levels have changed since being diagnosed. I won't be drinking Coke again I'll try something less carby next time I feel like this. It's hard adjusting

Yes, it is difficult and getting your head around this confusing time, can be so frustrating.
If you really want to get your blood glucose levels down, then read our success stories forum. Then the low carb forum and gain the knowledge necessary to get control. And reduce your hba1c levels down to near normal levels, once there the easier it will all become. It is a battle, but well worth the fight.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Hartnell6 ..
The key point to take on board is that managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I suggest that you find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. and the following Diet Doctor websites ...
Low Carb Intro and Information
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds
Hope this helps

Hotpepper20000

You must be doing something right if you had BG of 4.2. That is a great number!!
Ride out the feelings when your that low and soon it will be the norm

Since you don't take any medications even if you dip low your liver will kick in.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try a bit of cheese or meat next time assuming you can eat that kind of things as that can trick the brain if not have a small biscuit x

Reactions: Hartnell6