Low carb biscuit recipes?

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone got any nice low carb biscuit recipes? I'm really missing having something to dunk in my afternoon tea!

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sainsbury's SO organic plain digestive 250g 80p 7.7g carbs per biscuit.
Sainsbury's SO organic ginger nut biscuits 200g 80p 7.9g carbs per biscuit
McVitie's Rich Tea biscuits 300g on offer Sainsbury's 2 for £2 5.9g carbs per biscuit

Reactions: 4 people

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Celeriac, I really wanted to make my own though.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Thanks Celeriac, I really wanted to make my own though.
Hi Dizz, try 8oz melted butter,2 oz of almond flour,2 oz of coconut flour,1oz of cornflour ,2oz of splender granulated ,mix all together,roll out to 1/4 inch thick cut into 1/2 inch fingers ,cook at 300f ( 160c) for 35/40 mins on a greased baking tray,clive

Reactions: 4 people

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Dizz, try 8oz melted butter,2 oz of almond flour,2 oz of coconut flour,1oz of cornflour ,2oz of splender granulated ,mix all together,roll out to 1/4 inch thick cut into 1/2 inch fingers ,cook at 300f ( 160c) for 35/40 mins on a greased baking tray,clive
Thanks Clive, are they tasty? Shall have to wait for my coconut flour to arrive to try it.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
Ingredients(Makes about 12 cookies):
  • 6 ounces (170g) almond flour or almond meal
  • 55g butter, room temperature
  • 32g sugar equivalent sweetener
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup chopped nuts(optional)
Method:
  1. Preheat your oven to 190 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
  3. Gradually beat the egg into the butter and sugar mixture.
  4. Add the almond flour, salt, vanilla and baking soda in with the other ingredients and mix well.
  5. Add in the chocolate chips and nuts if using and fold them into the batter.
  6. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and press them down gently onto a non-stick baking surface.
  7. Bake for 12-15 minutes at 190 until the cookies rise and the edges have browned.
  8. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool before moving. Store at room temperature in a sealed container.

Made these loads of times. Sometimes including walnuts and cinnamon. Most of the time these will last ages unless your OH gets a taste and then they disappear quite quickly.

Reactions: 8 people

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

• 1 egg
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Method:
  4. Add the almond flour, salt, vanilla and baking soda in with the other ingredients and mix well.
  6. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and press them down gently onto a non-stick baking surface.
  7. Bake for 12-15 minutes at 190 until the cookies rise and the edges have browned.
  8. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool before moving. Store at room temperature in a sealed container.

Made these loads of times. Sometimes including walnuts and cinnamon. Most of the time these will last ages unless your OH gets a taste and then they disappear quite quickly.
Thanks Carol, they sound good. You must know my OH, he is indeed a biscuit fiend, maybe I'll make double.......:cat:

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls

• 1 egg
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Method:

They sound gorgeous. I don't s'pose you have any idea of the carbs per cookie do you?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've tried a few different recipes, and they often have a common failing (IMHO), which is that without wheat flour, and the gluten in it, they are too crumbly.

Having choc chips in the biccies helps, because it acts like cement to hold things together, but my best solution was incredibly simple, and incredibly indulgent. When the biscuits came out of the oven, still warm, I just placed a square of 70% cocoa solid choc on top of each one as they cooled..

The heat of the biscuit melted the choc, forming a topping that then cooled and hardened, holding the biscuit together.

Could probably use the same idea to hold 2 together in a sandwich, I suppose. But I haven't tried that.

Yet.

Reactions: 6 people

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've tried a few different recipes, and they often have a common failing (IMHO), which is that without wheat flour, and the gluten in it, they are too crumbly.

Having choc chips in the biccies helps, because it acts like cement to hold things together, but my best solution was incredibly simple, and incredibly indulgent. When the biscuits came out of the oven, still warm, I just placed a square of 70% cocoa solid choc on top of each one as they cooled..

The heat of the biscuit melted the choc, forming a topping that then cooled and hardened, holding the biscuit together.

Could probably use the same idea to hold 2 together in a sandwich, I suppose. But I haven't tried that.

Yet.
I wonder if the addition of a little guar gum or similar would help with this?

Reactions: 2 people

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea of the carb count, the original recipe used ordinary sugar and says that it has 9-12 carbs per cookie. So cutting out 32g of sugar saves 32g of carbs.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I have no idea of the carb count, the original recipe used ordinary sugar and says that it has 9-12 carbs per cookie. So cutting out 32g of sugar saves 32g of carbs.
I'm going to give them a go as I think they'll probably be low carb. My meter will soon tell me :(

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to give them a go as I think they'll probably be low carb. My meter will soon tell me :(

If you use something like myfitnesspal, carefully, it will calculate the carbs for you. Clearly it'll depend on the specifics of the choc chips or nuts you add.

clairegra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Some great recipes, thanks everyone, especially with Coeliac disease. But I would only eat them with lunch or my pm dinner.