Low carb coffee substiture

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

Almost all coffee substitutes are 80% carbs. Is there any low carb alternative? With rich crema? Thanks!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you looking to escape the coffee or the carbs?
Im rather partial to this
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/califia-cold-brew-black---white-750ml?langId=44&storeId=10151&krypto=/sD6Eh0YouvxQxblSTk1IyC83MugwVvZMBWJL2JVC5FZ1clkNzsIl+qngCIAZO5cvyZK6xwZtSiVWCMBUlCEUrzviZHwvhs0HWPBuF6tUqlmk4NEHGpdbJiJX3OzOlw+&ddkey=https:gb/groceries/califia-cold-brew-black---white-750ml
Not cheap but not bad price wise compared to a starbucks etc, and much much lower in carbs

EDIT Before I got converted back to coffee, I sometimes used to drink Barleycup as an alternative - cant say it wasmuch like coffee but it was acceptable. Dont know the carb count

Last edited:
Reactions: lorraine95

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

Almost all coffee substitutes are 80% carbs. Is there any low carb alternative? With rich crema? Thanks!

Are you looking to avoid caffeine or the creamer? It feels to me (although I haven't checked any packaging), that the carbs are more likely to be in the creamer than the coffee substitute, unless you're looking at things like Camp Coffee, which I think is also very sweet. Personally, I really haven't ever liked those creamer substitutes. They have always tasted extremely sweet to me.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What's wrong with the real thing?? My coffee lacks any carbs; with a tablespoon full or two of full fat cream it has trace amounts. What can be lower carb than that...:wideyed:

Robbity

Reactions: dbr10
D

Deleted member 308541

I posted this pix in another thread on this forum about carbs in coffee, I had four cups of black coffee before and during breakfast in this pix.

xjQohGm.png

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbs in coffee? I thought it had almost no nutritional value, just about zero everything including zero carbs. A little bit of potassium, and a pleasant amount of ... caffeine. Of course we are assuming that no sweetener or cream is added....

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I class fresh coffee beans from a local roaster as my diabetic treat :) (or Lavazza on offer at M'sons right now) brewed in a French press or a stove top pot, served with a little semi skimmed milk warmed up in the microwave and frothed with a hand whisk and a sweetener tablet, and this doesn't show any spikes on my Aviva meter.

Reactions: TIANDB

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some of us can't tolerate coffee, whether caff or decaff.

Personally, I would like to drink coffee all day, every day, but it gives me insomnia, heartburn and high blood pressure, so that is a triple no.

Unfortunately there is no substitute that I have ever found that is low in carbs and matches coffee in flavour and general coffee-ness. So I make do with the occasional hot chocolate (cocoa powder, erythritol and double cream), herb teas, sparkling water, sodastream Zeros, and roasted chicory (Prewitts Organic).

The chicory is closest to coffee in colour and flavour. It is caffeine, grain and gluten free, and since it is made from chicory root, which is a plant rather like a parsnip, but has much less starch and a lot more fibre (inulin) which is soluble and prebiotic. I am unsure whether these benefits make it through the roasting process.

Being a plant, when dried and roasted it has quite a lot of carbohydrate, but one or two cups of chicory coffee every morning over the last 18 months have never (to my knowledge, or my Libre screen) ever raised my blood glucose.

chicory-root-large.jpg

https://draxe.com/chicory-root/

I have also tried Teeccino, but found it absurdly expensive and far more phaff than it was worth.