Low Carb Cookies

s230787

I made cookies this weekend :D
I did like them, not as crunchy as I would usually like, but seeing as though biscuits out the packet are a no go-er on my low carb diet, they aren't too bad!

I used:
110g of Ground Almonds
100g of Peanut Butter
100g of Philidelphia Cream Cheese
2 Eggs
1 Tablespoon of Butter
3 Tablespoons of Vanilla Essence
(Optional - 2 Tablespoons of Sweetner)

Mix it all up in a bowl, and then shape onto a baking tray covered with baking paper. I put them on about 180-200c for 15 minutes, just keep checking them. Makes around 20 cookies

Got my recipe from this site http://www.travelinglowcarb.com/1712/low-carb-cookie-recipe/

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Can I just ask, all these reciepies that are made with ground almonds, doesn't it make everything taste of almonds?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Sarah69 said:
Can I just ask, all these reciepies that are made with ground almonds, doesn't it make everything taste of almonds?

I'm fairly sure it doesn't. I had some cake baked by a friend with coelic disease a couple of years ago using almond flour/ground almonds, and I would never have guessed what it was made with. I really don't like the taste of anything "almondy" ie marzipan, amaretto so I would have noticed!

s230787

My ground almonds were 6.6g of carbs for 110g of product
Peanut butter were 11gs of carbs for 110g of product
Vanilla Essence approx 3-4gs of carbs for 3 tablespoons (this is info i found out on the web in a forum so not too sure on its accuraccy)

Cream cheese, butter and eggs - N/A

Optional sweetner were 2-3g for 2 tablespoons

So my estimate without the sweetner is 21.6gs of carbs (I made 18 so 1.2gs of carbs per average cookie)
With the sweetner 24.6gs of carbs (I made 18 so 1.36gs of carbs per average cookie)

Please Note this is based on my estimations, as I said vanilla essence, I got the carb info from a forum!! :wink:

ellecook79

Thankyou!

I tried making them last night but they ended up a little doughy. Is there any way to make them more like a biscuit? Am I under cooking them or making them too big maybe?

I was a useless cook before diabetes and this hasn't changed!

Thank you for your time.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I'm not sure why anyone would want to make biscuits that are not particularly nice to eat just because they are low carb, if I want a biscuit with a cuppa I'll have a chocolate digestive 10g carbs not great but it doesn't do much to my bg levels on its own as a snack so why compromise, other biscuits are less carbs than that so I can have a couple which is nice :thumbup:

Just check the per biscuit carbs on the packets in the shop/supermarket...

Helenababe

Lucky you Sid. If I had a choc digestive, I'd be falling asleep afterwards! :(

I can manage Rich Tea if late at night.

Helena

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya!

Well, I would love a chocolate digestive, but 10g of carb in the form of sugary wheat would raise my BG by about 4.5 almost instantly! I'd need to inject insulin to cover it and would risk going high and then dropping low. A whole chocolate digestive would be too much even when I'm having a mild hypo! I can use half a Rich Tea to bring me out of a 3.5ish hypo - it would leave me at about 5.5ish. So, Sid, while I understand that you'd rather have a couple of normal biscuits, many of us don't have that option unfortunately.

Smidge

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Helenababe said:
Lucky you Sid. If I had a choc digestive, I'd be falling asleep afterwards! :(

I can manage Rich Tea if late at night.

Helena

If 10g of carbs makes you fall asleep what on earth do you eat? Even the most restrictive diet is still around 30g of carbs a day that would mean you falling asleep three times a day.
smidge said:
Hiya!

Well, I would love a chocolate digestive, but 10g of carb in the form of sugary wheat would raise my BG by about 4.5 almost instantly!

See above comment, what on earth do you eat, carbs are everywhere?

Helenababe

Sid, because I have a rare problem where I get very drowzy and ill after even a low carb meal. It's debilitating, and docs can't find out why. I get drowsy as soon as my sugar starts to come down even if it's a couple of points. I have to eat though but it's awful living like this.

Henena

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sid!

See above comment, what on earth do you eat, carbs are everywhere?

Yes,it's a bit of a nightmare really. I can't even have a drop of milk in my tea! I'm only 5 foot tall and weigh just under 7 stone, so even tiny amounts of carb raise my BGs significantly. I guess if you're bigger you have more blood and can eat more carbs without the same effect. On the other hand, very small amounts of insulin bring my BG back under control. So, for my meals, it's OK because I keep the carbs low, but use rapid-acting insulin to counter the BG rise, but snacks with carb content are out of the question unless I'm prepared to do extra jabs (and then it's a bit hit and miss where sugary food is concerned). I already jab 5 times a day now (2 basal, 3 bolus), so I really can't face any more jabbing - I'd rather give the biscuits and other carby snacks a miss. I am very jealous of those of you who can eat the occasional choccy biccie tho :lol:

Smidge

A

Anonymous

The other problem is that biscuits don't come in packets of 1 and I fear 1 biscuit of any kind is hard to stop at. Anyway it would have to be a lemon puff - might as well go out in retro style.

s230787

Smidge I am the same, half a biscuit can rise me by 2mmol, and then if I have the packet in front of me 1 turns into 5! disastrous results! I've been low carbing a short while and since have only had 1 blood sugar ready in double figures (an 11mmol) which I am really happy with.

I quite like these biscuits as I love peanut butter, I just need to work on their crunchiness. I wouldn't eat anything I didn't enjoy, whats the point...quite rightly agree Sid.

lesleyc

Thanks Whitbyjet I made your recommend cookies and they are great.I froze most as I live by myself and if anything they are nicer straight from the freezer!

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am intending to give the choc chip cookies a try at the weekend along with low carb muffins. (thanks whitbyjet)

Just wondered though, do you find low carb baking much more expensive and where is the best place to buy ground almonds?

WhitbyJet

Marina - yes low carb baking is more expensive, almond flour and coconut flour costs more than the 'sawdust, toxic' (<<for us diabetics at least) flour.

I usually buy almond and coconut flour on ebay, I think they are cheapest there. You will probably find the low carb muffins/cookies/cakes more filling than the normal 'poisonous' ones.

Remember to make sure that you eat enough protein and fat with your main meals, this will keep you fuller for longer and reduce the need for snacking.

All the best, keep strong, YOU CAN DO IT x x