LOW CARB DIET - A NEWBIES GUIDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentishman

The debate on low carbs is interesting. I am 86 years of age and a type 2. I have had Diabetes for 40 years.When I was diagnosed those many years ago I was under the care of the Metabolic Unit at Hospital at Paddington. The dietician then gave me a low carb diet which I have tried to keep to ever since. I cannot understand the debate for type2 Diabetics. If I eat a lot of carbs my readings are high. If I eat a low amount of carbs my readings are lower. End of story as far as I can see. One thing that I am sure is vital---exercise. Even at my age I play golf three or four times a week in all weathers. I now take Gliclacide, Metformin and Rosiglitazone which, no doubt helps but the diet is the thing.

mangosue

Dislikes
needles
flying
too much whinging
Thanks Fergus, as a newbie this is more than helpful. Beautifully explained. Since visiting the forum some few months back, I have reduced my intake of carbs and I can testify to great all round health results and diabetic control ( have other health issues as well).

Blessings

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
Hey so if I decided to go low carb, would I have to cut out pasta, bread, potatoes and rice completely?

I cant eat fish, and most meats apart from Chicken and Been and I'm allergic to cream.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
It would be good if you could cut out bread, potatoes, pasta and rice but if you find you can't try very small portions of them. Test before and two hours after to see what effect they have on your blood sugars per small portion.
I don't eat a lot of fat either but manage to have a perfectly good diet without it.

leveya

hello im a newbie my nurse keeps telling me to eat potatoe pasta etc.
have you got a website to use for carb counting any help will be apreciated
thank you. great forum
tony :

crackit

Hi,

Have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 4 months ago.
I am well over weight at 20st approx, and 5ft 11 inches in hight.
At the moment i am in hospital for depression and every time i have mentioned low carb diet i have been told it is bad for me.
I have even had a dietician telling me i need to eat carbs such as potatoes, rice pasta and bread.
I eventually got them to give me a low carb option which happened for a week and was forgotten about. So now all i eat is protein, salad and cheese washed down with water. For breakfast i have cereal such as weet a bix or shredded wheat where i derive carbs. I need someting as i do regular exercise such as 30k on an exercise bike and gym work as well as yoga and relaxation sessions.
This is to help me reduce weight to make me feel better about myself.
My glucose levels which i monitor myself are on average 6.
have you got any tips that may improve my weigth loss?

Thanks Crackit.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry I missed your post, crackit.
Y'know, I despair at the way some of these dieticians seem more determined to maintain foolish prejudices than provide useful information. They seem to deal in superstition more than evidence sometimes.
Is there any evidence that a low carb diet is bad for you? None, but a vast amount that says the exact opposite.
Is there any evidence that you need to eat pasta, potatoes, rice and bread? None, and a great deal that says otherwise.

I think your own instincts are leading you in the right direction. The key to maintaining good blood sugar control and weight loss is to keep your insulin levels down. The only way to do that is to avoid the sugars and starches. Incidentally, you don't need the breakfast cereals for carbohydrate for exercise either, yet another superstition!

All the best,

fergus

osbornet

I've only been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes for 3 weeks now but i find it incredible that you can get so much conflicting info/advice.

I saw a doctor privately to get tested and, when the result came back, asked her about fruit (if i'm going to all but give up on choc, cake & biscuits i want to eat SOMETHING i like).

She told me that hard fruits like apples were ok, seedless grapes were ok too but to keep away from the big soft fruits.

Went to see the DN today for the 1st time, told her what i'd been told and she said it was rubbish! She then went on to tell me that i should keep Pasta, Rice & Potatoes to a minimum as they generate a lot of sugar.

Ok, fair enough i thought. Then as i was leaving she gave me a small booklet about symptoms and treatment of Diabetes which tells me i should eat plenty of those!!

I mean, come on, give a guy a chance, what chance have i got of knowing which of those is right??

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Your DN sounds pretty spot on to me!
It's not often I get the opportunity to say that, didn't want to let the chance slip.

fergus

taxman

Dislikes
tripe lol
Excellent advice
I am now looking at my carb intake in earnest and will be on a low carb diet from tomorrow morning.
Ian

dorne

Dislikes
hate using injections and people who look at you as if you're a junkie when you have to do them in public! Diabetic sweets n choc.....YUK
Why do dieticiens never explain to you the importance of certain foods? All mine said was "eat a healthy balanced diet and cut down the amount i eat cos i need to lose weight!" Ummm what is a portion? After reading the posts on here i am gonna try the low carb diet, I need to loose a lot of weight and have started a gym programme which only costs £1 a session 3 times a week. I have already lost over a stone and am pleased, however i am taking 80 units of lantus a day and 2000 mg of glucophage and also byetta...not sure how a low carb diet will effect my meds and am a little bit scared, does anyone else feel like this? Anyway enough faf for now I'm gonna try it and see what happens! Dorne xx

redhead998

:) hi all I was diagnosed with having diabetes last week and have yet to see the dietian about my diet, this counting carbs and everything else seems alot to learn any help would be gratefully accepted
thanks Redhead998 :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
redhead998 said:
:) hi all I was diagnosed with having diabetes last week and have yet to see the dietian about my diet, this counting carbs and everything else seems alot to learn any help would be gratefully accepted
thanks Redhead998 :)

Welcome to the forum, have a good read round and ask us questions.

This may help you. This is the information we hand out to Newbies. Counting carbs as a Type 2 is quite a simple process with the right tools and information.

It's not just 'sugars' you need to avoid, diabetes is an inability to process glucose properly. Carbohydrate converts, in the body, to glucose. So it makes sense to reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat which includes sugars.

The main carbs to avoid or reduce are the complex or starchy carbohydrates such a bread, potatoes, pasta and rice also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

The way to find out how different foods affect you is to do regular daily testing and keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. If you test just before eating then two hours after eating you will see the effect of certain foods on your blood glucose levels.

Buy yourself a carb counter book (you can get these on-line) and you will be able to work out how much carbs you are eating, when you test, the reading two hours after should be roughly the same as the before eating reading, if it is then that meal was fine, if it isn’t then you need to check what you have eaten and think about reducing the portion size of carbs.

When you are buying products check the total carbohydrate content, this includes the sugar content. Do not just go by the amount of sugar on the packaging as this is misleading to a diabetic.

As for a tester, try asking the nurse/doctor and explain that you want to be proactive in managing your own diabetes and therefore need to test so that you can see just how foods affect your blood sugar levels. Hopefully this will work ! Sometimes they are not keen to give Type 2’s the strips on prescription, (in the UK) but you can but try !!

bufferz

Another noob question, i presume it IS normal to be "pishing like a racehorse", to coin a phrase? :lol: I've never been to the toilet so much since doing this! And also not pooing as much either, so obviously what im eating isnt wasted any more, which must be good too!

Bardon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I'm type 2? tablets rather than insulin.
I really struggle with my diet, hate breakfast, never near home at 'proper' meal times, work on building sites, breakfast was a pasty at 11am, sandwich or chips at 1pm and then tea about 8pm.
I have been ill, flu, coughs and breathing problems since September. Better now (hooray) decided to do something about diet. For the last two weeks I have been on what I think is a low carb diet, muesli 75g for breakfast, enough milk to get it wet enough to eat, lunch is bought ready made salad sometimes with pasta, evening meal is a salad with light dressing and a piece of lean meat.
sometimes a yoghurt for desert, its a good job I like salad. I drink about 8 cups of coffee a day, but very weak coffee.
Is this a low carb diet? why haven't I dropped any weight? why is my blood sugar levels higher in the morning than they are before I go to bed? What is the best snack on a low carb diet?
Sorry about all of the questions need help.
Thanks.

ritacooke

hi fergus my name is rita and i am type 1 since 1991 i am off work with shingles and have had a few keytones due to high sugars i am interested in this low carb diet can you tell me does the 100g of carb include fruit

glendam

Have just found this group thanks to my sister.
I have been type 2 for 6 years and started oral treatment earlier this year after finding it increasingly difficult to keep my sugars down.
Still struggling with weight and sugars so hoping that after getting to grips with this it may help.
Thankyou Fergus for the great explanation.

Glenda

bufferz

Stupid question (maybe?) have been LC-ing for a few weeks, happy with my weight loss, BGs, etc. I was simply wondering what effect, if any do polyols have as carbs? (ie in a lot of the atkins treats, the net carbs is 2g, but something daft like 30g of polyols) same wth sugar free gum, its something like 98% polyol carbs - are these the same as bog standard sugary carbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.