Low carb diet , not no carb diet?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there any time of day when the somogyi effect is more common or depends on each person?
If it exists as a separate entity to dawn phenomenon (which is doubtful), it is of relevance only to Type 1's.

Quote from Wikipedia:
Although this theory is well known among clinicians and individuals with diabetes, there is little scientific evidence to support it. Clinical studies indicate that a high fasting glucose in the morning is more likely because the insulin given on the previous evening fails to last long enough. Studies from 2007 onwards using continuous glucose monitoring show that a high glucose in the morning is not preceded by a low glucose during the night. Furthermore, many individuals with hypoglycemic episodes during the night don't wake due to a failure of release of epinephrine during nocturnal hypoglycemia. Thus, Somogyi's theory is not assured and may be refuted.

Claudio1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had some problems in keeping my BG fast within the limits ... until last year I have always kept everything just fine with Metformin but since the end of last year everything has turned into a nightmare ... it has been very difficult results below 7.5. Could I be taking too much Metformin and am I generating the somogyi effect?

Reactions: Freema

Claudio1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Endocrinologist prescribed Galvus and I took 3 months together with Metformin without improving fasting BG. Now I'm taking Victoza along with Metformin and it's also not working ... I'm getting discouraged.

Claudio1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your response indy51. I will continue searching to find the solution.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
You inspire a rather 'depressed me' - I've been battling mid to high teens for around a year and really not winning. Recently tried Michael Mosley blood sugar diet but not with much success - and more recently 5:2 diet. Having fasted on Saturday to get BS reading of 16 yesterday I am quite dejected. I will try to do as you have done, but my problem is not really weight - problem stemmed from quitting smoking Sept 2015.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
PS what is 2 dl of milk, excuse my ignorance?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:)

2.2 UK pints in a litre.
so... um... thats... um... approx a third of a pint in 200mls... ish.

US pints are of course different. But I just pretend they don't exist, or my brain would dribble out of my ears.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @Shs
I would agree with others that you should discuss coming off meds with your medics.
Do you still need to lose more weight? When I lost my excess weight and started going too low weight my GP insisted I put on some weight and I did start to eat a few more carbs and have kept my HbA1c similar to yours. I would suggest that if you do try more carbs you do a lot of testing to check what happens.

Shs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You inspire a rather 'depressed me' - I've been battling mid to high teens for around a year and really not winning. Recently tried Michael Mosley blood sugar diet but not with much success - and more recently 5:2 diet. Having fasted on Saturday to get BS reading of 16 yesterday I am quite dejected. I will try to do as you have done, but my problem is not really weight - problem stemmed from quitting smoking Sept 2015.

Oh poor you! It's not fair! I guess that the diet solution alone does not ALWAYS work miracles and some of us battlers need a bit more... you are not having anything else in your life during this time: stress , infection..

Reactions: callyandy

Shs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done @Shs
I would agree with others that you should discuss coming off meds with your medics.
Do you still need to lose more weight? When I lost my excess weight and started going too low weight my GP insisted I put on some weight and I did start to eat a few more carbs and have kept my HbA1c similar to yours. I would suggest that if you do try more carbs you do a lot of testing to check what happens.

Hi
Yours is an encouraging story
Unfortunately ,I still need to lose a lot of weight , so I shall carry on . In fact this morning , after eating freely basmati/wild rice last night, I got 6.5 BG ... serves me right! As I seem to be lucky enough to "go normal" with very low carbs , I shall stop courting with Carbs !

Reactions: callyandy

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
:)

2.2 UK pints in a litre.
so... um... thats... um... approx a third of a pint in 200mls... ish.

US pints are of course different. But I just pretend they don't exist, or my brain would dribble out of my ears.
I had to learn the conversions - I am of that age group which went through all the alterations, currency, weights, the lot - the UK a litre is a pint and three quarters - the pint is 20 fluid ounces and the litre is 35.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Yours is an encouraging story
Unfortunately ,I still need to lose a lot of weight , so I shall carry on . In fact this morning , after eating freely basmati/wild rice last night, I got 6.5 BG ... serves me right! As I seem to be lucky enough to "go normal" with very low carbs , I shall stop courting with Carbs !
since diagnosis I have gone back to low carb eating and am losing half a pound a day. I hope to lose the weight I piled on eating the diet to reduce cholesterol, and I am so happy doing Atkins. No grains, no starchy vegetables or fruits, no lentils, no alcohol - but just about everything else. Best diet ever. Now I need to find some narrower footwear, my feet have shrunk - but my eyesight is better, and it isn't even two weeks yet. I have been doing low carb for decades, but the doctors just don't understand the need.

Claudio1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A few months ago I also told my doctor that I was eating very little carbohydrate and he did not understand why I was doing it. He said it was not necessary. But I have resistance to insulin and so when as carbohydrates the bg goes up, the insulin is dumped and not absorbed, it transforms the excess of bg into fat and everything goes bad for me ... I do not know in which planet these doctors live.

ahmed2245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed type 2 diabetes in July with fasting blood sugar level at 18.5 , Hba1c was 75 mmol.
I was put on Metformin. I read Dr Cavan's book and was inspired to go as low carb as possible to beat this "beast". I have been on very strict diet with no intake of potatoes, bread, fruit,pasta , sugar or rice . I have mainly taken only green veg or above ground growing veg or salads with eggs , meat, queen or fish. My snack has been nuts. I have not been so great with exercise. I have lost 3 stones and my HbA1c was last week 35 mmol. I feel great . One thing that has kept me going has been monitoring daily my sugars and seeing them coming down. If I take more than 2dl milk in a day, my sugars go up. If I have a meal in restaurant with my usual restrictions excepting what ever sauce came with it, my sugars go up .

I have 2 questions:
1) When can I stop taking Metformin and carry on diet control? Too soon now?
2) curiously in last 2 weeks I have let myself have a few exceptions to my diet .I had twice wild rice mixed with basmati and on both occasions the next morning my sugars where actually better than on days before. In fact this morning I was hypoglycaemic! Does this mean I SHOULD eat wild/brown rice in moderation?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not know in which planet these doctors live

They live in the parallel universe where only fats turn into fats, and eating green veg will make them turn green...