Low carb diet, tired, hungry, weight not moving

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi guys
2 weeks into diabetic and have been on a low carb diet , but I have had wholemeal brown grain bread and Weetabix for breakfast .
im starting to get hungry and wanting to eat , but im scared to eat incase I eat the wrong thing ryvits I have been having for snack but I guess that's also high in carbs ,
I am 17st 5 a big woman I would of thought the weight would of dropped off me but its come to a stand still now after loosing 10lbs ,
I have slowly started to walk on some days.
I really feel as tho I am loosing the plot for food .

I am type 2 , and at moment just diet controlled , my blood sugars when tested are ranging from 5.5 6.7 7.7 before and after food

can anyone suggest please

thanks

Carbdodger

Re: low carb diet, tired , hungry , weight not moving

Hello there
Sounds like you recognise that bread, cereal and ryvita are not going to sit very well with a low carb diet. If you want to be serious about low carb then they are going to have to leave your kitchen. Opt for eggs for breakfast instead. I had mine today with bacon and mushroom. Delicious and will keep me full until lunch. Lunch will be a chicken and avocado salad. Not sure about dinner. If I do need a snack its maybe cheese, flaxseed crackers, jelly, rhubarb and cream. But most of the time I don't need to snack as my diet satisfies.
Have a look in the low carb recipe section for some great food ideas. it may take time to replan your meals but it is worth it. Been on a very low carb diet for nearly 4 years and really could not go back to my previous diet as this one keeps me well and with non-DB numbers.
What are you eating the rest of the time?Cd

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I have to be careful I think with fats , as I am 17stone in weight . my blood sugars I don't think are that bad 6.7 today after 2 Weetabix and 2 wholemeal grain toast ,
normally I just have 2 toast , but I felt hungry today and added the Weetabix ,
I used to be a rubbish eater before diagnosed , eat all the junk so this is very hard for me at the moment , I never use to like veg, fruit, eggs, chiken , really im just forcing it down me at the moment , I am getting used to it . but I haven't had eggs as yet :sick:

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty

Totally agree with carbdodger above,cereals,toast and Ryvita have to be consigned to the bin if you want to follow a truelow carb diet and mine is very similar to carbdodgers but it's worth sticking with as the rewards far outweigh the initial feeling of being deprived of the food that you've always eaten,it does get easier and I don't miss my old diet at all :)

Best

Paul

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

hmmmmmmm
I think I will be ok for luch times and evening meal times , but as for the breakfast time , I wouldn't be able to have time to do a cooked breakfast , like that. is there an alternative for breakfast? as breakfast time is a rush time here. maybe that is the only time I struggle and possible eat the wrong thing . but as I said my bg after eating Weetabix and toast this morning is now 6.7 ?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty

sandysan said:
hmmmmmmm
I think I will be ok for luch times and evening meal times , but as for the breakfast time , I wouldn't be able to have time to do a cooked breakfast , like that. is there an alternative for breakfast? as breakfast time is a rush time here. maybe that is the only time I struggle and possible eat the wrong thing . but as I said my bg after eating Weetabix and toast this morning is now 6.7 ?

A few blueberries and /or strawberries mixed into some greek yoghurt is quick and healthy :thumbup:

A few diabetics can get good numbers after cereals in the early days BUT remember that many T2 diabetics on diagnosis may have lost up to 50% of their pancreatic beta cells already and eating cereals and toast and the like is knocking an already struggling pancreas on the head on a daily basis thus leading to further Beta cell destruction,high BG's and more and more meds being added...Low carbing gives your pancreas a big rest!

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

paul

great I can eat yoghurts , but certain fruit I have to be careful with for other reasons , strawberries I cant eat , or any berries ,
so can I have other fruit with yoghurt for breakfast , if so I will start to have that , is there a website for low carb breakfast ?

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

If you are doing low carb then you must have the fats as that is your replacement fuel. It does not have to be saturated fats though, mono and polyunsaturated fats will be fine. Make sure you drink plenty of water as well.

Weetabix and bread other than Bergan bread is a big no for me, eating those always results in craving more carbs after a relatively short time, not eating them means I can go far longer before I feel hungry again. I also avoid rice and potatoes (other than small quantities of fried basmati rice and new potatoes which arent too bad). I do eat a lot of small french beans, usually tossed in olive oil and a little garlic, broccoli and tons of green salads. Fish at least three times a week, including salmon, sardines, mackeral and tuna - these give you very good omega 3 fats and associated essential amino acids which you cannot make inside your body from other foods. I cant say with certainty that this works for everybody, but it works for me and quite a few others.

Regarding weight loss, the first bit of weight usually comes very fast, mainly because its water, then slows down a lot. I aim for a calories deficit of about 500 carbs per day, sometimes more. i track this with myfitnesspal which helps keep me motivated. Provided my weight goes down week on week I'm happy.

Exercise, this is essential but hard when first starting out if you haven't exercised for a long while, the good news is that it does give benefits both in weight loss and blood glucose control, and it gets much easier to do quite quickly. It does not have to be strenuous either, just going for a walk for twenty minutes immediately after your main meals makes a big difference, and helps maintain your calorie defecit. I track exercise with myfitnesspal also and it combines the exercise with food intake and works out how many more calories you can eat per day. Theres a few of us on there and we try to help support each other in our efforts.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Alternative breakfast - raw tomatoes, slices of cheese, ham, yoghurt - think continental breakfasts but without the toast or pastries. i sometimes just have an Atkins bar which keeps me going all morning usually.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty

sandysan said:
paul

great I can eat yoghurts , but certain fruit I have to be careful with for other reasons , strawberries I cant eat , or any berries ,
so can I have other fruit with yoghurt for breakfast , if so I will start to have that , is there a website for low carb breakfast ?

It's a shame about the berries as they seem the kindest on levels,do you have a microwave? scrambled egg is very quick if done in the microwave and if you really miss toast then Waitrose do a very low carb bread called 'Livlife seriously seeded bread' so that could be a good alternative for you.

There are low carb websites but they cover more than just breakfast only although i will look to see if any of them do have a specific breakfast section and I'll post a link if they do.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

thanks for all your advice , im just a bit upset now , its been 2 weeks since being diagnosed as diabetic , and nothing else has been on my mind , I think im still in a bit of denial and think if I eat the right food then I might be cured ,,, wishful thinking huh ,

I think im trying to hard but im scared about diabetes, also I am a picky eater , I hate all fish , im a picky eater with meats , I only like certain fruits and veg , although I have been eating main meals 4 small boiled potatoes new , lots of veg , sprouts , cabbage , cauliflower , peas , and chicken . yoghurts framaige frais I have just got used to eating , and pears , apples ,
its all getting a bit to much for me but I know I have to do this , but im not understanding a lot with the food side , eg , GI food ,labels of food labels , carbs calories , I have got a very long way to go , I have a good basic idea but it is finding something to compensate for the foods I don't like .

diabetic nurse and doctors dont help , they tell me they don't want to know about my readings bs monitor they don't use them now , just stick to a healthy diet brown bread ect ect , and wait till your hba1c comes around, right to show that my bs has gone up even more and then next tablets then injections the docs should incourage people to do there bs levels not take it away I had to buy my own glucose machine do the docs and nurses ever research into this , they are advising what is bad for you ?

having a whine today lol

N

NicolaB70

Hi

I was diagnosed in June as T2. Like yourself I weighed around 17 stone, ate rubbish, picked throughout the day and generally had too bigger meals. It was a bit of a shock being told I was now diabetic but it was a wake up call.

I was advised to cut down on red meats to once a week and eat more chicken, turkey and fish. I also was told to cut down on the carbs.

I wouldn't say it's been easy because it hasn't but my diet has dramatically changed. I make sure I eat breakfast and lunch at the same time each day. I am lucky that I am able to tolerate weetabix so that is what I have each day. With the fish and white meats, which I alternate, I sprinkle different herbs on them to give it flavour and have 3 small boiled new potatoes and plenty of different veg. If I do feel hungry between mealtimes I drink water and that helps.

Some days are better then others but I think how well I'm doing, having gone down a dress size and generally feeling so much better. I am disabled with mobility and balance problems so exercise or going out for a walk is a no goer for me.

Hang on in there, your body does get used to a new diet and with everyone's help and encouragement on this fantastic site you will get there!

Best Wishes

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Carbdodger

Hello again
Yes it is all over wheeling at the beginning and like you I needed a good moan. It was unfair that the DB happened to me! I think I went through every emotion possible. Cried a lot. Within a few wells I decided I was going to fight back and my weapon was a low carb diet. Worked miracles. All the ailments I had (and there were loads) went. I felt reborn and energised. Still do.
I had to ignore the NHS advice. I use the service for tests etc. just smile at them when diet is discussed. Don't argue any more as I've better things to do with my time.
Start understanding the carb value of things. The potatoes you mention are so much higher in carbs than the green veg and cauliflower. I found a valuable tool in my battle was the Collins gem calorie counter book. It's less than a fiver. Ignore the calorie count of stuff and look at the carb counts. It will really help you understand food. I also pay no attention to GI of foods. Keeping it simple makes it easier.
Other breakfast ideas that don't involve cooking eggs in the morning include cold sausages (there are some that only have 1 or 2 carbs each, chicken or any cold meats, try Lidl's full fat Greek yougart with seeds if you don't do berries. You could make a crustless quiche the night before with your favourite veggies in (low carb ones of course) and take a slice with you. That would keep you going for a few days.

Always able to listen to a moan.
Cd

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

hi Sandy, im a little confused by your title, your not really low carbing (on the right track apart from brekkie which is good) and you lost 10lb in two weeks? weight can stall for months, look at the scales and be happy if you stayed the same, lose a lb a week thats 52lb a year, your doing great but cant expect everything to be perfect afer two weeks :( (i wish) this has been a long time coming probly and will take a long time to get right, stay on track with small improvements is all you can expect of yourself

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

hey andy hope your well , im just having one of those days I think , after 2 weeks , I guess its normal , the last 2 weeks nothing else has been on my mind , I think im getting a little confused with food , but at least it is better than what I used to eat ,
you know andy I think im still in a bit of denial thinking if I get my bg level real low , I will be classed as a none diabetic , but that isn't going to be the case is it , so I just have to calm down and just take it easy and do my best , the only thing im scared of andy is ,,
1. doctors now don't want to know your bs level there not interested my gp said
2. they say eat brown bread ect a healthy diet
3. I don't want to go back and have my bs hb1ac to be told its high and then have to go on meds or injections ,
4. I think is it right to check your bs levels for your own sake ,

maybe im getting all paranoid over it lolololol

C

catherinecherub

Hi Sandy,

You cannot get to grips with managing your diabetes overnight. Think of it as a marathon and not a sprint. People who have been diabetic much longer than you are still learning. Worrying about what is happening and not understanding all you need to know will stress you out and raise your blood sugars.

You say you do not understand the G.I. principle. This site will make it clearer for you but remember that although a food may be classed as low G.I., you still need to test to see if it suits you. Nobody else can manage your diabetes for you and even though people can tell you what works for them it may not work for you.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/index.php

Understanding what carbohydrates are is also something you say that you are not sure of.
This article explains carbohydrates.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/161547.php

I would advise you to slow down, ask about anything that you do not understand, keep a food diary so that you can see which foods are raising your blood sugars and experiment with foods that you have not tried before. Food preferences change and something we did not like years ago can taste OK.

To add some interest to your foods why not add herbs and spices as they make food more tasty. An example for me is that I stir fry cabbage and add a chopped chilli and some roasted pine nuts. Experiment in the kitchen, it really is worth it as bland food becomes boring day after day.

Hope this helps in a small way,

Take care.
CC.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

hiya, we al have these days, everything your worrying about is normal, it took me 6 months to not think about it every seconds of every day (now its just every other second :) )

1. doctors are useless (my opinion)
2. doctors are useless (my opinion)
3. if you feel like your heading in the right direction you can refuse meds and tbh injections arent on the cards for you at the moment and if you control things may never be
4. nothing stopping you testing, if they arent interested it dosent matter (refer to answers 1 & 2

its a rollercoaster of emotions im afraid :( just keep fighting, if you dont play the game, you cant win it

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

catherinecherub said:
Hi Sandy,

You cannot get to grips with managing your diabetes overnight. Think of it as a marathon and not a sprint. People who have been diabetic much longer than you are still learning. Worrying about what is happening and not understanding all you need to know will stress you out and raise your blood sugars.

You say you do not understand the G.I. principle. This site will make it clearer for you but remember that although a food may be classed as low G.I., you still need to test to see if it suits you. Nobody else can manage your diabetes for you and even though people can tell you what works for them it may not work for you.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/index.php

Understanding what carbohydrates are is also something you say that you are not sure of.
This article explains carbohydrates.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/161547.php

I would advise you to slow down, ask about anything that you do not understand, keep a food diary so that you can see which foods are raising your blood sugars and experiment with foods that you have not tried before. Food preferences change and something we did not like years ago can taste OK.

To add some interest to your foods why not add herbs and spices as they make food more tasty. An example for me is that I stir fry cabbage and add a chopped chilli and some roasted pine nuts. Experiment in the kitchen, it really is worth it as bland food becomes boring day after day.

Hope this helps in a small way,

Take care.
CC.

great links, im stealing them i hope you dont mind hehe

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates

If you want a quick, easy & sustaining b'fast, try nut porridge:

ground almonds, coconut flour (or desiccated), milled flax seed, add flavour with cinnamon, cardamom, low cal drinking choc, etc ....
4 - 6 d'spoons mixed with boiling water, or m'waved with milk - it does thicken.

Nuts provide a sustaining blend of veg fats, proteins & fibre, & low carb. They don't give a BG spike, & last for twice as long as a cereal b'fast - & if you do need something late morning, cheese (or nuts).

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

:shock:
well that link about the GI food has totally baffled me ,,, chocolat devil cake , lol I might as well go back to eating how I was when I saw all the recipes , to be honest that scared me a bit , because this is what im trying to cut out all the rubbish food
and some of the recipes in there surely are not good for you , all the recipe deserts ?