Low carb diet, tired, hungry, weight not moving

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Re: low carb diet, tired , hungry , weight not moving

paul-1976 said:
Low carb,low fat,low calorie will not be sustainable once all the weight has been lost unless you want to be a living skeleton and will not provide enough energy for a busy average adult to function on.

Paul

Now that I agree with.
But to lose weight it works, when I've lost it I need to decide whether to increase carbs, fat, or both, and that's going to be decided by my bs.
To lose weight I'm keeping what goes in less then what goes out at the moment.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I agree its important to find what works for you, but you asked for advice and people are giving it.

i eat this way and lost 25 poundsin weight at a rate of 2 lbs a week after 6 weeks in a low cal, low fat diet woth no loss whatsoever. Interestingly my cholestrol also came down another 2 points to 4.4, hdl/ldl ratios are excellent, and triglycerides are down to 1.0

Nobody is suggesting you start glugging cooking oil, eat oily fish, eat steak, use olive oil in salad dressings this is how to get sufficient fats.

Anyway, said my piece, its up to you.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

:( its gone 11pm here and im really pekish , i only had chicken salad for dinner at 6pm. so i just had a 3 egg plain omlette is this ok to have ,,

i hated eggs never eaten them till 2 days ago.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

sandysan said:
:( its gone 11pm here and im really pekish , i only had chicken salad for dinner at 6pm. so i just had a 3 egg plain omlette is this ok to have ,,

If I feel peckish, my favourite snack is some thin sesame crispbread from lidl with very thinly sliced cheese and very thin slices of pickled onion. There's something about cutting it finely that works for me and it combines well with the crunch. I can eat 3 or 4 of these easily. Also, sardine paste works well. In the absence of those cripsbreads, dark rye ryvita works, but it's not as nice because it is too thick.

If I cook with eggs, I make a meal out of them. Plain omlettes to me seem a waste. They are quickly eaten and leave you feeling you wish you had more. So I make an egg foo yung. Soften some onion in a little oil, add a dash of toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, the eggs and a few shrimps. Now it's a meal. I also have a supply of brown rice vermicelli which is very quick to cook and low GI. I only have a small amount, just enough to go with the egg foo young. Another good product to have in stock is Morrisons parboiled brown rice. It's only 90 cals per 100g as it is a converted rice. Most rice is about 350 cals. As it is brown rice, it is fairly low GI. It takes a long time to cook so I make up batches of it with some peas added, a pinch of chinese 5 spice and little pieces of smoked ham or bacon and then freeze it. Although I primarily use it for meals, small portions of say 30 g go very well with an egg foo yung for a hearty snack, but not too bad calorie wise. Eat with chopsticks too, it takes longer :)

Packs of frozen greenlandic shrimps from lidl are great to keep in the freezer. They're small, peeled, cooked, and frozen and you can basically use them like a bag of frozen peas, adding them to all sorts of dishes. Keep spices and flavourings in stock. They turn simple things into meals. Adding some sliced tomato and a little chilli to the rice turns that into a meal as well. Also, you can add an egg to it.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates

sandysan said:

I hate to disagree with everything we are told about diet, particularly FAT. Fat is sustaining, provides double the energy of carbs (wt for wt) doesn't raise blood sugar, & doesn't make you fat.

I've been on a low carb, high fat diet for 5 years - I lost about a stone & have been stable in wt & BG, with a reversal of complications I was suffering with the Diabetes UK high carb, low fat diet.

Put butter in your omelette, cook with lard or veg oil, use ground almonds instear of oats for you porridge, & instead of flour for baking, & only buy full cream milk. Greek-style yoghurt (10% fat) is better than the "diet" yogs; use full fat salad dressing, etc.

Don't worry about the change - diabetes is slow acting with its complications - it takes years. Possible problems with increased fat will also take years. We've got a long term - life long - health problem, so it is worth exploring ways to tackle it.

You WILL feel hungry if you don't eat enough, and ANY diet that leaves you hungry is unsustainable.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

IanD said:
I hate to disagree with everything we are told about diet, particularly FAT. Fat is sustaining, provides double the energy of carbs (wt for wt) doesn't raise blood sugar, & doesn't make you fat.

I've been on a low carb, high fat diet for 5 years - I lost about a stone & have been stable in wt & BG, with a reversal of complications I was suffering with the Diabetes UK high carb, low fat diet.

Put butter in your omelette, cook with lard or veg oil, use ground almonds instear of oats for you porridge, & instead of flour for baking, & only buy full cream milk. Greek-style yoghurt (10% fat) is better than the "diet" yogs; use full fat salad dressing, etc.

Don't worry about the change - diabetes is slow acting with its complications - it takes years. Possible problems with increased fat will also take years. We've got a long term - life long - health problem, so it is worth exploring ways to tackle it.

You WILL feel hungry if you don't eat enough, and ANY diet that leaves you hungry is unsustainable.

That's a good diet for you, but as you have said, your weight is stable now, after losing a stone in your five years on the diet.
The op is like myself, and wants to shed weight, not stay stable.
I'm happy with a lot less fat, as well as lower carbs, which has lost me two and a half stone in 4 months, with a target of another one and a half by Christmas.
Then I may well up the fat again, by a small amount.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Very good article

Stellaau

Re: .

Hi everyone,
I am at my 9th day of low carb high fat diet and even though I noticed my body reacting positively, especially my blood glucose levels, they stayed the same, didn't have high ups and then downs, today I was so feeling unwell. I had chicken and cabbage with oil and duck fat for lunch and my BG was 5.4, but then I started to feel very hungry and having craving so I had half of banana, two bowls of blueberries (they are usually fine with me in that quantity) and about 30peanuts. after that my glucose went to 6.8 (after 2h) and I felt very bad. too tired, my face was burning and all :( what I did wrong? I also felt so overwhelmed that I wanted to stop all :cry:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Re: .

Stellaau said:
Hi everyone,
I am at my 9th day of low carb high fat diet and even though I noticed my body reacting positively, especially my blood glucose levels, they stayed the same, didn't have high ups and then downs, today I was so feeling unwell. I had chicken and cabbage with oil and duck fat for lunch and my BG was 5.4, but then I started to feel very hungry and having craving so I had half of banana, two bowls of blueberries (they are usually fine with me in that quantity) and about 30peanuts. after that my glucose went to 6.8 (after 2h) and I felt very bad. too tired, my face was burning and all :( what I did wrong? I also felt so overwhelmed that I wanted to stop all :cry:

How many carbs have you factored in for the day in half a banana, two bowls of blueberries and the peanuts?
I reckon 10g in the banana, a cup full of blueberries is 20g, 30g of peanuts is another 5g. So that could have been a lot of carbs, on the oil and duck fat.
Maybe reduce the sweet stuff, and factor more healthy veg into the meal. I would get comments off other low carbers, as it's not my diet of choice though.

edit - how long between the two foods?

I try to leave at least an hour, and go for the little and often
eg tonight, bowl of home made marrow soup (just got all the home grown marrows in, and these are the little ones that aren't ripe, and just too small to do anything else with), then an hour later a muller light yoghurt.
I low cal, but marrows are aren't particularly high carb, and the yoghurt only has 14 g of carbs in.
Admittedly the soup is going to be a higher gi way to serve, as it's boiled, and turned into a liquid.

Stellaau

Hi Douglas99
thanks for your response.

I didn't explain good yesterday as I was so stressed. I had meal with small chicken meat and plate of cabbage with duck fat. then after two hours my BG was still ok -5.4
but then, after those two hours I felt so hungry and craving food that I had half banana, berries and peanuts. I think maybe it was even 60carbs, and two hours after fruit my BG was 6.9

then I felt so unwell and only after 4h my BG was 5.3

I had another meal later that day of few slices of cheese and half sausage with two tspoons of butter and after two hours my BG went down to 4.8
so that helped

but this morning my blood pressure was 84/60

I always have at least 2h between meals

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Stellaau said:
Hi Douglas99
thanks for your response.

I didn't explain good yesterday as I was so stressed. I had meal with small chicken meat and plate of cabbage with duck fat. then after two hours my BG was still ok -5.4
but then, after those two hours I felt so hungry and craving food that I had half banana, berries and peanuts. I think maybe it was even 60carbs, and two hours after fruit my BG was 6.9

then I felt so unwell and only after 4h my BG was 5.3

I had another meal later that day of few slices of cheese and half sausage with two tspoons of butter and after two hours my BG went down to 4.8
so that helped

but this morning my blood pressure was 84/60

I always have at least 2h between meals

I don't eat that much fat, and can't really comment, but I personally would try to make it part of the meal, rather than simply add extra fat to eat meal.

Eg, chicken thigh is a better meat than chicken breast, in terms of vitamins and minerals, and will also have fat.
The cheese and sausage have a high proportion of fat, what calorie intake are you basing the extra spoonfuls of butter on?
And if you are really craving food, I don't wait two hours.
I'll eat a smaller amount an hour later, but healthier, such as salad, or maybe a few tomatoes.
I've got used to a lot smaller portions this way, and planning helps me wait for the next "snack".

But I must stress I don't eat high fat.
I've lost 3 stone and got my bs down to a "normal" level on a calorie controlled balanced diet, in fact I avoid fat, and also don't need to take my beta blockers, as fat was the main cause of acid reflux for me.
I don't eat a lot of carbs, as I also avid the usual classic foods on a diet, -potato, pasta, rice, and then I eat the carbs that I don't react badly to, and not many of them.
Another stone to lose, then I may eat a bit more fat, but only if I don't need to go back on the indigestion tablets!

375lindyloo

Bergen bread with linseed not poppyseed but only one slice is ok for me. For breakfast I have experimented and find that Alpro plain (which has a yogurt type consistency and can also be used as a topping) with some berries, almonds and walnuts and a small amount of cinnamon is fine for my bg and is yummy and quick. I use 3 dessert spoons of Alpro and about half a dozen berries or whatever fruit doesn't spike you and half a dozen almonds and a couple of walnuts. Lunchtime try homemade soup-very simple receipe-try leek with a low salt stock cube (I use any veg but limit onion, carrot, red or orange peppers and obviously don't use potato) and half litre water simmer until soft and then liquidize. Also add 2 or 3 low carb bran crackers with some cream cheese-you don't need very much-with some smoked salmon (Aldo do an inexpensive one in chiller cabinets) topped with a sprinkle of pepper and a small side salad. It should keep you filled for a while. I tend to snack on celery cut up and if you don't want to keep eating cream cheese there are a few veggie pâté type spreads out there. Veggie food is low in saturated fat but watch the carbs! The pâtés aren't too bad. For evening meal I usually have chicken with steamed veggies as the flavour is much better steamed. Fish is also good made with a simple low cal sauce or a small amount of veggie gravy-just watch the carbs. I aim for 6 carbs breakfast and 12 for both lunch and evening meal as per Dr Bernstein. Good luck and keep persevering!

375lindyloo

Alpro plain-3 dessert spoonfuls-I have half a dozen berries-half a dozen almonds-two walnuts-topped with a sprinkling of cinnamon for breakfast. For lunch ome made simple soup-green veggies-low salt stock cube-half a litre water-simmer until soft then liquidise. Two or three low cal bran crackers-cream cheese-smoked salmon (Aldi do an inexpensive one in chiller cabinet) pinch of pepper and side salad. Evening meal chicken or the like-steamed veggies-simple low cal sauce or small amount of veggie gravy. I try to stick to 6 carbs breakfast and 12 for both lunch and evening meal as per Dr Bernstein but am no saint. Persevere as you will find what suits you-if you can't have berries just leave them out and add a couple more nuts but in moderation. Good luck!