Low-carb food list....

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all - I was diagnosed T2 back in September and found this website via Dr David Cavan's excellent book. My blood tests showed, in the words of my doctor, "brilliant cholesterol and spot-on blood pressure but you have diabetes. Let's see what you can do with diet and exercise and we'll re-test in December". And that was it. No mention of levels/testing. I found his somewhat laid-back approach fine for me but would have stumbled about a bit without the book and the Forum. So off I go exploring, and found in one post a very useful list of low-carb foods. Of course I can't find it now! I would be very grateful if someone could point me to the right post. I think it was in a discussion about the Lidl protein rolls (a lifesaver!). And apologies if I should have posted this in another thread :banghead:

Reactions: Guzzler

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would also recommend checking out www.dietdoctor.com
which has loads of great free info and recipes.

Oops just saw you were new so will tag in @daisy1 to give you the intro posting too..
Hello and welcome

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hello all - I was diagnosed T2 back in September and found this website via Dr David Cavan's excellent book. My blood tests showed, in the words of my doctor, "brilliant cholesterol and spot-on blood pressure but you have diabetes. Let's see what you can do with diet and exercise and we'll re-test in December". And that was it. No mention of levels/testing. I found his somewhat laid-back approach fine for me but would have stumbled about a bit without the book and the Forum. So off I go exploring, and found in one post a very useful list of low-carb foods. Of course I can't find it now! I would be very grateful if someone could point me to the right post. I think it was in a discussion about the Lidl protein rolls (a lifesaver!). And apologies if I should have posted this in another thread :banghead:
Hi Sue, great that 2 of the other possible concerns that usually go hand in hand with Type 2 you don't have to focus on. Type 2 is mainly manageable via the choices made. If you have specific questions plenty will provide informed responses.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello there and welcome to the forum.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @Sue192.

You may find this hard to believe, but I think your doctor did you a favor. It sounds a bit similar to what my doc told me, except that he did specify low-carb diet, and he did say we would test again two months later to see whether I made progress. This worked brilliantly (see signature) but, yes, I had to self-educate myself about the topic.

If your medical history permits it, this is far better than being given a dogmatic "eatwell plate" and being put on pills immediately, as apparently happens to quite a few people. I know being diagnosed with diabetes will be a big shock to you, but there is a small silver lining in having a doctor with the attitude you described.

Wshelledy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The only way to know what YOUR body can tolerate is to get a meter, test pre meal and 2 hrs post meal AND to log what you eat. Everyone's body is different. For example I can eat a small sweet potato with only a small jump in bg but not legumes which cause me over a 40 pt jump. I can tell you which low carb things work for me but that may not be true for you. Here are my 'carb' foods: cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, spaghetti squash, spinach, cucumber, green pepper, romain lettuce, kale, sweet potato, onion, avocado, almonds, walnuts, specific brands of jerky, 'bread' (made with almond flour and flax), and cheese. I eat almost no fruit as they all have sugars. Occasionally I eat some berries or half an apple. I eat almost no grains except occasionally a small amout of corn meal. That means no bread made from wheat, or pasta. I have one 'bread' recipe that calls for 1/4 c of oat flour but the net carbs are 4 g per slice so it works for me. Hope this helps. It may seem daunting at first but its possible to live a full, happy life. Doing the lchf diet along with exercise I was able to drop my Hba1c from 11.9 to 7.3 in 6 weeks. Then in an additional 4 weeks down to 6.1. If I can do it so can you!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you want it all in a book, two good options are "The Pioppi Diet" or "A New Atkins for a New You".

The "key" to making low carb work, seems to be to cook all your own food, and give up on ready meals and fast food. Avoid grains, bread, rice, pasta, sugar, fruit juice, potatoes, breakfast cereal and you will not go far wrong.

Exercise:
A 10-minute walk after a meal reduces BG, otherwise, resistance training and HITT have the most benefits, but diet is much more important than exercise.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for your welcomes, replies and good advice. Yes, bulkbiker, that's the one - thank you! Grateful - I agree with you, for me my GP has the right attitude and it's worked. Reading everyone's stats is such an encouragement, and my doc also mentioned the benefits of a good walk. It seems that he's a pretty good gp to have, in comparison to others.....