Low carb, Low fat breakfast ideas

jay10

I am currently low carbing again after I tried it succesfully last year, then fell pregnant and was put on insulin (I am type 2 diet controlled) now have had baby but find the low carb things that worked before now dont!! I cant tolerate porridge oats the moment as they made me sick in pregnancy.
Any ideas would be very helpfull pleassssse. Also any meal ideas.

Many thanks :)

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
I have 'the other' continental breakfast - a small piece of cheese and cooked meat or boiled egg or even an omelette. A frittata (cold omelette type thingy cooked in the oven) works too. There again I'm a bit of a cheese-aholic.

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
If we have any chicken or lean meat left over from day before this is what I do.

Cut up the chicken/meat in small pieces, heat up the frying pan with about 20-30mg of sunflower oil and fry the chicken for a few minutes. Then I throw in some chopped onions, sometimes if we have any, I also add in some sweet peppers. Once the onions are a little fried I then beat two eggs and add that into the pan as well. I eat that for lunch mainly with a tomato and a few olives but sometimes I even have it for breakfast with a spoonful of beans.

I am not a low-carber but at least the chicken/meat doesn't end up in the bin.

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
yoghurt
Ratatouille
steamed fish

???

why does it have to be low fat? and what fat do you want to avoid? it severly limits a lot of other nourishing, fulfilling foods that are low in carbs. Eggs, full of vitamins, are about 10% fat but around 1% carbs. Are you cutting out those too?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Why dont u eat cereal? I couldnt eat any of the above for breakfast!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Cereal is not good stuff. Measure your BG before cereal, and at +1hr and +2hrs and you'll see why.

louiseb

a smoothie made with berries and greek yougurt with just a little milk.

cereal try lizzies granola.

louiseb

also pancakes can be low carb Patch has a good receipe he posted a while back, I tryed them they were very good unfortunatley I cant find the receipe now and cant remember any of the ingrediants except for cream cheese, I have an awful memory.

you could just uses a very low fat cream cheese for this.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
candyfloss said:
yoghurt
Ratatouille
steamed fish

???

why does it have to be low fat? and what fat do you want to avoid?

Who mentioned fat???? and who said they wanted to avoid it?????

Personally the idea of ratatouille or steamed fish for breakfast makes me want to gag but each to their own eh.

Patch said:
Cereal is not good stuff. Measure your BG before cereal, and at +1hr and +2hrs and you'll see why.

Why is cereal not good stuff Patch, some may not be able to eat it but many do :D

I have tested extensively before and after meals Patch as you well know and this morning I had 16g of cornflakes with a couple of strawberry's on top with a splash of semi skimmed milk and I will get no significant rise in bg levels, I know this because I have tested it often.

Low low carb suggestions
Half a grapefruit is around 6g carbs but only eat them if you are NOT on statins
Bacon and egg, very low carb.
Cold continental breakfast as advised earlier consisting of cold meat cuts and cheese, oh, and strong black coffee obviously :D

louiseb

Sid Bonkers said:
candyfloss said:
yoghurt
Ratatouille
steamed fish

???

why does it have to be low fat? and what fat do you want to avoid?

Who mentioned fat???? and who said they wanted to avoid it?????

Personally the idea of ratatouille or steamed fish for breakfast makes me want to gag but each to their own eh.

Patch said:

Why is cereal not good stuff Patch, some may not be able to eat it but many do :D

I have tested extensively before and after meals Patch as you well know and this morning I had 16g of cornflakes with a couple of strawberry's on top with a splash of semi skimmed milk and I will get no significant rise in bg levels, I know this because I have tested it often.

Low low carb suggestions
Half a grapefruit is around 6g carbs but only eat them if you are NOT on statins
Bacon and egg, very low carb.
Cold continental breakfast as advised earlier consisting of cold meat cuts and cheese, oh, and strong black coffee obviously :D

sid
the op mentioned fat in title of this thread "low carb, low fat breakfast ideas.
personally I agree with you sid the idea of fish for breakfast makes me feel sick.
cereal is ok for some people in very small portions but again they need to test to know for sure, personally I can tolerate around 30g of lizzies granola, and 1 weetabix these are only 2 cereals and portion size that dont cause any significant spike, but we are all different and should eat to out meters.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sid said:
This morning I had 16g of cornflakes with a couple of strawberry's on top with a splash of semi skimmed milk

16g? How did you force it all down??? :lol:

How many people do you know that call 16g a portion of cereal? Most cereals call a serving size between 30 and 50g. Even 50g is pretty small when you see how much it fills a standard cereal bowl...

I'm sure you can eat a spoon full of sugar with little impact on your 2hr reading. It doesn't mean you should do it.

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Patch said:
Sid said:
I'm sure you can eat a spoon full of sugar with little impact on your 2hr reading. It doesn't mean you should do it.

You just reminded me of this song Patch.
[youtube]HrnoR9cBP3o[/youtube]

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Patch said:
Sid said:
This morning I had 16g of cornflakes with a couple of strawberry's on top with a splash of semi skimmed milk

16g? How did you force it all down??? :lol:

How many people do you know that call 16g a portion of cereal? Most cereals call a serving size between 30 and 50g. Even 50g is pretty small when you see how much it fills a standard cereal bowl...

Have you seen those variety packs of Kelloggs cereal Patch, the corn flakes come in a 17g box, the other box's are larger but 16g is a reasonable size portion, the problem a lot of people have and perhaps your one of them is that they dont know what a portion is, they say Oh I cant eat potato but when you dig a bit deeper what they really mean is they cant eat a plateful of mash or a chip shop portion of chips so they say Oh I cant eat them.

As I have said many times on here test and if your numbers are too high then reduce the portion size and test again and keep downing that until you find a portion size that does not raise your bg levels too unacceptable levels, it may be a small portion compared to what you are used to but it will be a portion none the less.

Louise said:
sid
the op mentioned fat in title of this thread "low carb, low fat breakfast ideas.

Yes I see that now, my apologies to candyfloss for the insinuation that it had not been mentioned, however isnt it up to the OP what they choose to eat or what not to eat without being questioned about their choices on their own thread?

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
For the last few mornings, as it is winter here and I wanted a change from bacon, eggs, mushroom, zucchini, I have been having a kind of porridge inspired by something IanD posted, I think. I put 2 T ground almonds, 2 T golden flax seed meal, a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg, dash of sweetener of choice with water to mix to a runny paste. Zap in the microwave for 1 min just to heat it and stir in a dollop of cream. Comfort food.
I don't have cereal in the house but I always have almond meal and flax seed meal.
No miniscule portion of cereals keeps me under 6.0 so this is my alternative.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I really cant believe the things people eat or what they substitute for something else. A lot of things ive read just make my stomach turn eg cauliflower grated and used as rice or courgette used as pasta and the things that are being eaten for breakfast. Id never be able to eat them!

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Perhaps Sarah69, it is just what you get used to. If you have never tried sushi made with riced cauli, steamed and then mixed with cream cheese instead of rice......mmmm.. So glad I know what I have been missing out on now.
As a child were were constantly told not to say "I don't like......" until we had tried it.
I tossed up between possible future complications and lowering my blood glucose levels and there really was no compelling reason to not choose the less riskier option for me. I am quite attatched to my feet and have grown up with them.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sarah69 said:
I really cant believe the things people eat or what they substitute for something else. A lot of things ive read just make my stomach turn eg cauliflower grated and used as rice or courgette used as pasta and the things that are being eaten for breakfast. Id never be able to eat them!

I must admit that I am not a fan of substituting one food for another, like I could never understand why vegetarians want to make vegetarian food look like meat, cutlets, sausages etc as for seeds and nuts I prefer to put out for the birds but it has to be said (again) we are all different and many people like to eat these foods, some have no alternative as the foods they are substituting raise their bg levels too high, so each to their own :D

Wendywu

Dislikes
Track running. Drunks. Bigots and intolerance in any form. Bullying.
Sarah69 said:

Yeah well, I don't say I'm in love with the food I eat these days. However, surgery left me unable to eat fatty food or meat (except in laughably small amounts). I am T1 and really would like to keep good control of my blood sugar and avoid possible complications because I just know my body will cave in if I give it a good excuse to. So I eat some things that I don't particularly like because it's better than starving :wink:

jay10

Well at least I have started a healthy debate, Thanks everyone one for the ideas the smoothie sounds great. with regards to the fat I find it quite difficult to digest some kinds of fat but also I have quite high LDL levels and to be absolutly honest don't think I am able to retrain my brain in beleiving that fat is good for us.
If I look at a cereal box by bs tend to go up, well I need to give this my all or my GP is saying next step is gastric bypass and I dont want to go down that route.
xx