Low Carb Pizza!! Cracked it 1st time.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
WelI I will have cracked it after I test in half an hour.Fingers crossed!

Tried a recipe from Fat Face for a Keto pizza and must say its really good.What a treat.

Ingredients : 170g grated mozarella cheese
105g ground almonds
2 tablespoons full fat cream cheese
1 large egg.
Pinch of garlic salt (optional).
Dried oregano or Italian herbs (optional).
These ingredients are for the pizza base.Firstly add the mozzarella and cubed cream cheese into a microwaveable bowl.Microwave on full power for 1 minute.Mine is Cat E 800w.Give mixture a stir and microwave for a further 30 seconds.Stir again using a spatula being careful as it will be very hot.Then add the beaten egg and almond flour.This should combine to be very dough like.If it is too stringy just pop it back in the mic for 20 seconds.
Move the dough onto a pizza tray lined with baking parchment,and using wet hands make a pizza base.Keep wetting your hands as you do this.Quite fun actually.Finally prick all over with a fork to stop any bubbling up.This should give a nice flat pizza base.I crimped around the edge a bit also.
I sprinkled garlic powder over mine prior to baking in a preheated oven for 8 minutes at 200 C.
I kept a close eye on it and it was about to start burning,so I took it out,cooled the oven down to 150 C and gave it another 5 minutes.You could add dried herbs to the dough before making the base if you like,and I may try his next time.
The result a pretty nice looking pizza base. I added home made tomato sauce which we have with pasta ( well not me anymore) after reducing it down a bit to thicken it up.3 to 4 tablespoons was enough.Then more mozarella and precooked sliced onion,pepperami,and sliced baby tomato.A sprinkle of mozarella and ground black pepper and into the oven 150 C for 5-6 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling.I took mine out halfway and tore up some really nice dry cure ham on the top.I also covered the edge of the crust in strips of tin foil to prevent it from burning.
It is necessary to cook any meats or toppings before building your pizza as the cooking is really only to melt the cheese on top and it would be easy to burn the crust due to the amount of cheese in it.

A great meat feast type result.Very filling due to the amount of cheese in the crust.
Even the non LC's loved it.

Reactions: 24 people

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Attachments

• 1445457972939.jpg
    1445457972939.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,194
Reactions: 22 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is gorgeous, isn't it?

Had it last Saturday.
Might have it this Saturday too...

Reactions: 4 people

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This one gets my vote too - better than any regular pizza :D

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A great result as I didn't go higher than + 1.5 after an hour.And I went a bit daft and ate half a pizza.
Good to be able to join in on pizza nite with the rest of the family too.

My mind is already turning to a really thin version with chilli flakes through it for making some kinda taco shell or enchiladas.

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Looks fantastic!

Reactions: 2 people

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will power bypass tonite as I made another fat face pizza.This time a tray bake or rectangular effort with mozzarella, black pepper, really thinly sliced tomato and ham.Deeeelish.Gonna have to ration it tho that's pizza twice in a week.I was missing it tho. Seems like I've got the salad fairy in one ear and the pizza imp at the other! Got to get some anchovies for the next one ;-)..... Oh do shut up :-o

Reactions: 10 people
D

Deleted member 219428

Just wondering how many portions are in your "Fat Face" pizza? Would be great if it was for one! :smug:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The recipe size on the website does a pair of pizzas, one each for me and my husband.
I would say they are both 8-10 inches across, but I make them to fit the tray I cook them on, rather than making them to a particular inch size. They could be spread thinner, or left thicker.

So I would say that the recipe does two good portions for adults. But then of course whatever you put on the top is going to affect the amounts...

I think that the bases could be baked, and saved for another day. And I expect they would freeze excellently.

I think the base could also be adapted to make a garlic bread. Either mix the minced garlic in before cooking, or fry the base in garlic butter, just before serving. Decadent, or what?

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunneria, you have made me drool remembering garlic bread. Will have to try this one. Made one with the cauliflower base but it took so long grating and squeezing the water out.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Wow it looks really authentic too.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used this amount of ingredients for one standard size baking tray of pizza.I have not tried rolling the dough out between a couple of sheets of baking parchment as yet. I think this would give a really thin and crispy base.And a pizza calzone is on the radar too! Plus as I mentioned before something like taco shells or cheese twists.
I think this is a great recipe,and this type of crust could be adapted for a variety of savoury uses.It is nice but does not taste exactly like a normal pizza crust,however it holds together well meaning you can hold it like a slice of pizza.Half the battle I think.
My better half was laughing at the toppings on my efforts,saying that's not a pizza, that's a cheese and pepperoni delivery system.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The recipe size on the website does a pair of pizzas, one each for me and my husband.
I would say they are both 8-10 inches across, but I make them to fit the tray I cook them on, rather than making them to a particular inch size. They could be spread thinner, or left thicker.

So I would say that the recipe does two good portions for adults. But then of course whatever you put on the top is going to affect the amounts...

I think that the bases could be baked, and saved for another day. And I expect they would freeze excellently.

I think the base could also be adapted to make a garlic bread. Either mix the minced garlic in before cooking, or fry the base in garlic butter, just before serving. Decadent, or what?
Hi, they do freeze very well and I cut them up and use as a bread substitute in my work lunchbox.

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds great, Redsnapper! What did you estimate the total carbs per serving as with your toppings?

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Made this on Friday night - apart from one side sticking to the baking parchment, a roaring success. Incredible taste and better than any Dominoes or Pizza Hut. Why spend 15 quid on Dominoes when you can make one of these beauties?

Reactions: 4 people

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds great, Redsnapper! What did you estimate the total carbs per serving as with your toppings?
Sorry Sibyl I am not sure re the carb content.But mozzarella is low in carbs and 105 g ground almond say 7.0g carbs the tomato sauce from a jar is 4.5g per 100g,I reckon I used half that so let's say 10g overall plus a large tomato 4.5 so say 14.5g .Plus 6g for 200g grated mozzarella.
So with meaty toppings you are still probably looking at 20g for the whole thing just over 3g per slice.
I did not spike over 1.5 so happy.

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
3G PER SLICE!! BLOODY WONDERFUL MIRACLE!!! I gotta get me some of that!!!! LMAO!

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
3G PER SLICE!! BLOODY WONDERFUL MIRACLE!!! I gotta get me some of that!!!! LMAO!
I may have missed out some hidden carbs, maybe someone else who is more experienced at carb counting can work it out more accurately. I reckon the crust ingredients must be about 15 g carbs then it's down to the tomato sauce, toppings and extra cheese.Much lower than regular pizza tho.

Madspaniel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya.
Have any of you tried the pizzas from.musclefood? There bases are made from pea protein. They are gorgeous too. Not as satisfying as home made obviously redsnapper. But a great alternative. X