Low carb porridge/porridge substitute

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Can anyone recommend a low carb porridge/porridge substitute please? Pref <5g carbs/serving. I'd be having it with almond milk light to keep the carbs down.

Either one that I can buy, or I could try and make something if there's nothing already out there.

Thanks

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi,
Nothing that I know of, all porridges are usually cereal based so are high in carbs.
Best bet is Yoghurt, Plain if you can eat it about 6 g Carbs depending on make. ( I hate the taste, and flavour with sugar free cordial or jelly powder)
Otherwise Bacon and eggs is good, no carbs

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really a porridge substitute and it sort of looks a bit porridgey(!), but I sometimes have a small bowl of ground almonds mixed with double or thick cream, which could be gently warmed. A few drops of liquid stevia, or a little ground erythritol can be used to sweeten it if required. It's a sort of occasional comfort type food for me. :p

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I know there is an almond based one sold by natural ketosis but at £2.50 a serving it's way to expensive for me! But they have done something with almond flour maybe similar to what the PP suggested.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi,
Nothing that I know of, all porridges are usually cereal based so are high in carbs.
Best bet is Yoghurt, Plain if you can eat it about 6 g Carbs depending on make. ( I hate the taste, and flavour with sugar free cordial or jelly powder)
Otherwise Bacon and eggs is good, no carbs

I'm trying again to start a low carb diet with very small steps, can I just ask how the plain yoghurt tastes with jelly powder?

KatieLowCarb

Yes! I've made my own version of a carb-free porridge and I'm addicted to it!
Ingredients
1/2 cup milk (I use almond milk or coconut milk)
4 tablespoons coconut (dessicated/fine)
1 tablespoon flxmeal/flaxseed
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1-2 tablespoons coconut flour

Method
Bring milk to a gentle boil, turn down heat to low
Add all dry ingredients, keep stirring until it reaches desired consistency
If it's still too runny, add another tablespoon of coconut flour

You can use any sort of grain-free flour (almond meal, hazlenut meal) or seeds in this recipe (sunflower seeds and pepitas work well) I aslo like to add a tablespoon of cacao every now and then for a chocolate porridge! Delish!

If you want some added protein, crack a raw egg into the saucepan, but make sure you take the saucepan off the heat first! Otherwise you'll end up with scrambled egg porridge :)

Reactions: 6 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Yes! I've made my own version of a carb-free porridge and I'm addicted to it!
Ingredients
1/2 cup milk (I use almond milk or coconut milk)
4 tablespoons coconut (dessicated/fine)
1 tablespoon flxmeal/flaxseed
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1-2 tablespoons coconut flour

Method
Bring milk to a gentle boil, turn down heat to low
Add all dry ingredients, keep stirring until it reaches desired consistency
If it's still too runny, add another tablespoon of coconut flour

You can use any sort of grain-free flour (almond meal, hazlenut meal) or seeds in this recipe (sunflower seeds and pepitas work well) I aslo like to add a tablespoon of cacao every now and then for a chocolate porridge! Delish!

If you want some added protein, crack a raw egg into the saucepan, but make sure you take the saucepan off the heat first! Otherwise you'll end up with scrambled egg porridge :)
Interesting.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I use linwoods flaxseed with coco and berries, mixed with hot water into a porridge constancy - like instant porridge. Its low carb, high fibre and very filling yet super quick on a work morning.

I buy it from H&B or Tesco, there are other variants of the milled linseed some higher/lower carbs so check labels. The plain linseed is also OK as instant breakfast with a little added cinnamon to make it tastier.

Reactions: 2 people

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use linwoods flaxseed with coco and berries [...]
I buy it from H&B or Tesco, there are other variants of the milled linseed some higher/lower carbs so check labels.
I got some plain and some with sesame seeds, raspberry and blueberry from Aldi - I think it was either £1.89 or £1.99 for 225g - I suspect that might be significantly cheaper than H&B at least. I put a spoonful of the fruity one in Greek yogurt at breakfast (and a big dollop of mixed seeds) as the fruit is a sort of freeze dried powder, so it's quite intense and it adds a fruity flavour to the yogurt with few carbs.

Aldi sell it as a breakfast food in the cereal section - I'd looked for it several times, wanting it for a low carb bread recipe and expecting it with flours and stuff, so I'd missed it.

Edited to add - the plain milled golden linseed is 250g per bag and 6g per 100g carbs. The fruit one is a 225g bag and 13g / 100g carbs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
I'm trying again to start a low carb diet with very small steps, can I just ask how the plain yoghurt tastes with jelly powder?
Hi @Sarah69,
I use about a heaped teaspoon of Sugar free jelly in about a cup of plain yoghurt, Strawberry is good, but any other jelly is fine.
It gives the fruit flavour and slightly sweetens the Mixture you just stir it in.
I think it tastes fine, better than plain yoghurt.
Try it and let me know what you think ?o_O