Low Carb Query

Irish Maeve

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain
I have just spent time reading through the Low Carb debate but wasn't allowed to post on that Forum for some reason - hence the new thread! Almost everyone is trying to lose weight while bring BS readings down. I am on the low carb diet because I have developed a problem with acid reflux when I eat most carbs. As a result of cutting these out of my diet (potatoes, any bread or crackers) my readings haved dropped drastically but my problem is I am losing weight. I am 5ft 6ins and previously weighed 9st 7lbs but now after only about 3 months on this diet of practically no carbs I am down to 8st 7lbs - too light! The only carbs I can eat without pain in my throat from acid reflux is porridge but I can't give that up or I will really lose too much weight and I don't want that. Also I am still taking the meds but probably would need to reduce them as readings are much lower now. At 10pm tonight it was 4.9. Then I had a small portion of porridge and at 11pm reading was 10.9. Will check again at midnight and see what it is after the 2 hrs. What can I eat that will put on some weight but not affect BS readings? Help needed please. Thanks

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
assuming your thyroid is ok, carb is one side of the seesaw fat is the other side, as you lower carb, you increase fat, this should stabilise your weight. it's generally recommended to eat a normal amount of protein, but that can be bumped a bit with the fats, if your eGFR blood test is ok, but ask your Dr

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

I found with acid reflux, if I put bricks under the head of the bed to lif it up 4" so I slept on a bit of a slope. this helped a lot, alcohol made nine worse

Reactions: 10 people

Irish Maeve

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain
assuming your thyroid is ok, carb is one side of the seesaw fat is the other side, as you lower carb, you increase fat, this should stabilise your weight. it's generally recommended to eat a normal amount of protein, but that can be bumped a bit with the fats, if your eGFR blood test is ok, but ask your Dr

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

I found with acid reflux, if I put bricks under the head of the bed to lif it up 4" so I slept on a bit of a slope. this helped a lot, alcohol made nine worse
Thanks for replying Jack. I will have to get used to adding fat to my diet after years of avoiding it on being diagnosed with high cholesterol. I have been eating quite a lot of protein but find I am not filled unless I have a few carbs - so end up eating more protein! I can't eat fried food and obviously chips (being potato) are out, even oven baked. I have been living on either meat, chicken or fish with loads of veg or salad (and lots of eggs) but the weight is still dropping. What kind of food can I eat that contain fat that don't include sugar? I have appt to get bloods done on Tues so I will ask that they include the eGFR test and see how it goes. Will also check out the sites you have added. Ta!

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Avocadoes are good if you can manage them. And coconut oil, its a solid but melts into coffee very nicely without flavouring it.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
this sounds like your diet now
http://authoritynutrition.com/10-ways-to-add-healthy-fats-to-the-diet/
If you eat low carb AND low fat, that leaves you with nothing but protein

healthy fats oils
http://www.atkins.com/Science/Nutrition-and-Exercise/Good-Fats.aspx

we have been told fats will kill you since the 70's, so we have all been sold that pup. you generally have better cholesterol on lchf than high carbs
as well as the recipes on the site, in this page of stuff should be something
https://www.google.com.au/#q=lchf+recipes

Reactions: 8 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What about cheese, cream in your coffee or for a dessert. Have you cut out all low fat products and changed to the real thing, such as butter, yogurt, mayonnaise? Dairy fats are quite calorific, and to gain weight or maintain weight you need to up your calories. Extra fats will keep hunger at bay.

Reactions: 7 people
A

AnnieC

I have the same problem and did not need to loose weight but of course I did when I cut out the sugar stuff and lowered my carbs. I lost about the same amount as you and I am 8st 7lb and like you feel I am to thin now..I am not a big meat eater mostly have chicken but I do eat all the recommended stuff like nuts cheese avocados full fat yogurt etc but have still not put any weight back on. I still eat some Burgen bread new potatoes and all vegetables if I cut my carbs anymore I think I would disappear. There does not seem to be an answer on how to stop loosing weight when having a sugar free low carb diet which I suppose is reasonable as the low carb diet was originally devised for weight loss

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Me too.. Although slightly different. I have always low carbed. Added more fat and lost weight that I didn't want to.
I find it so difficult to eat more as I do not have hunger pangs at all.
I type my cals in to myfitnesspal and some days can still fall 800cals too short because of the work I do. However on these days my body is effectively in starvation mode and my weight now stays the same.
I do check I get essential vitamins and to try and get some extra food in me I have complan mix as this gives me 34carbs in a drink that I can manage as I love banana and the chocolate complan and it doesn't spike me if I have it with almond milk.

I felt odd moaning about not wanting to lose weight on low carb and trying to stay at a reasonable weight. My weight at 5'6" is 56kg and pure muscle.

I have no desire at all to eat more, so its difficult as much as those wanting to cut their carbs and lose weight, just that we appear to be a minority at present.

My weight is now stable but I am aware that myfitnesspal tells me that 5/7 days that I average at 800 calories too less.

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Irish Maeve - Can I clarify that if you eat carbs you suffer reflux, but to stop losing weight you feel you need to eat carbs? (Maybe I missed something.)

My OH, who is not diabetic has a fairly long-standing hiatus hernia, which curiously is much, much worse if he gains weight. When I was diagnosed we decided we would eat the same meals, so he has been following a lower carb diet for several months. We both lost weight and, as you are finding, faced the challenge of stopping the weight loss. He found that simpler than me, in that he just upped his portion sizes, then when that didn't quite work, he upped the carbs a bit. I've written a fair bit on here about stabilising, because I found it so tricky, but I think I may be just about there now. I routinely only vary +/-1kg, at 49-50kg, and 160cm, so I have no further downward leeway. I now eat more cheese and nuts that I ever did, along with lots of protein. Finding the balance isn't easy.

To address your foods containing fat but no sugar; there are loads of them. Double cream, cheese and cream, creme fraiche, avocado, pork scratchings, fatty meat, like lamb or belly pork, oily fish; mackerel, salmon, smoked salmon, sardines. High meat content sausages. You can make a cream sauce to go over veggies (cauli cheese for example) using cream with cheese and cream cheese negates to the need for flour or other thickening. Pan fry your steak, fish or whatever, then add cream to the frying pan to transform the meat juices to a creamy jus. Olive oil dressed salads.

There are loads of recipes on here, including sweets, which I don't bother with. If you like puddings, you can probably end up increasing your calories by quite a bit, without lots of carbs or sugar.

Do you know how many carbs and calories you are actually consuming, and roughly your daily deficit?

Reactions: 9 people

Irish Maeve

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain
@Irish Maeve - Can I clarify that if you eat carbs you suffer reflux, but to stop losing weight you feel you need to eat carbs? (Maybe I missed something.)

My OH, who is not diabetic has a fairly long-standing hiatus hernia, which curiously is much, much worse if he gains weight. When I was diagnosed we decided we would eat the same meals, so he has been following a lower carb diet for several months. We both lost weight and, as you are finding, faced the challenge of stopping the weight loss. He found that simpler than me, in that he just upped his portion sizes, then when that didn't quite work, he upped the carbs a bit. I've written a fair bit on here about stabilising, because I found it so tricky, but I think I may be just about there now. I routinely only vary +/-1kg, at 49-50kg, and 160cm, so I have no further downward leeway. I now eat more cheese and nuts that I ever did, along with lots of protein. Finding the balance isn't easy.

To address your foods containing fat but no sugar; there are loads of them. Double cream, cheese and cream, creme fraiche, avocado, pork scratchings, fatty meat, like lamb or belly pork, oily fish; mackerel, salmon, smoked salmon, sardines. High meat content sausages. You can make a cream sauce to go over veggies (cauli cheese for example) using cream with cheese and cream cheese negates to the need for flour or other thickening. Pan fry your steak, fish or whatever, then add cream to the frying pan to transform the meat juices to a creamy jus. Olive oil dressed salads.

There are loads of recipes on here, including sweets, which I don't bother with. If you like puddings, you can probably end up increasing your calories by quite a bit, without lots of carbs or sugar.

Do you know how many carbs and calories you are actually consuming, and roughly your daily deficit?

Hello and thanks for your reply. First I should say I have always been very slim and just ate whatever and whenever I wanted. Since being disagnosed 8/9 years ago as Type 2 I have to say I didn't really follow a sensible diet and so my meds kept being increased. I was never assigned a Diabetic Nurse but went to my GPs Clinic every 3 months to get checked. Nobody really gave me any real info about what to eat apart from telling me "everything in moderation". I am a high wired kind of person and always rushing everywhere which keeps the weight off as well but I ate lots of potatoes and bread and didn't take my condition seriously enough. About 6 months ago I was going through a stressful time as my Mother was dying and I started feeling like someone was gripping my throat and choking me. GP put it down to stress and my situation but I noticed it was worse when I ate the following foods: potatoes/bread/pears/apples/strawberries/crackers (of any kind). I stopped all these things and just ate protein and veg or salad and eggs. That's when the weight dropped. Dr prescribed Lansoprazole which I took for 2 months but stopped in Aug as it wasn't helping. Googled "lump in throat sensation" and started on ACV treatment which seems to help. (Sorry this is so long-winded.) I am waiting for appt to get a Gastroscopy done. I have noted all the food you suggest and will definitely add more fat into my diet. I haven't a clue about carbs/calories I am consuming per day but I will get a calorie counter and try to work it out. My BS readings are also all over the place but I see my GP in 2 weeks who has been made aware of my carb free diet and will hopefully adjust the medication I take. Thanks again for your good advice.

Reactions: 2 people

Irish Maeve

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain
I have the same problem and did not need to loose weight but of course I did when I cut out the sugar stuff and lowered my carbs. I lost about the same amount as you and I am 8st 7lb and like you feel I am to thin now..I am not a big meat eater mostly have chicken but I do eat all the recommended stuff like nuts cheese avocados full fat yogurt etc but have still not put any weight back on. I still eat some Burgen bread new potatoes and all vegetables if I cut my carbs anymore I think I would disappear. There does not seem to be an answer on how to stop loosing weight when having a sugar free low carb diet which I suppose is reasonable as the low carb diet was originally devised for weight loss

Hi Annie. Glad I am not alone with the weight problem lol. I just want to maintain a weight of about 9st 7lbs which is perfect for me but hopefully when I include more good fats into my diet it will help. Someone else recommended Complan so I will try that too. Got lots of helpful advice and am so grateful to everyone who took time to reply.

Irish Maeve

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain
Me too.. Although slightly different. I have always low carbed. Added more fat and lost weight that I didn't want to.
I find it so difficult to eat more as I do not have hunger pangs at all.
I type my cals in to myfitnesspal and some days can still fall 800cals too short because of the work I do. However on these days my body is effectively in starvation mode and my weight now stays the same.
I do check I get essential vitamins and to try and get some extra food in me I have complan mix as this gives me 34carbs in a drink that I can manage as I love banana and the chocolate complan and it doesn't spike me if I have it with almond milk.

I felt odd moaning about not wanting to lose weight on low carb and trying to stay at a reasonable weight. My weight at 5'6" is 56kg and pure muscle.

I have no desire at all to eat more, so its difficult as much as those wanting to cut their carbs and lose weight, just that we appear to be a minority at present.

My weight is now stable but I am aware that myfitnesspal tells me that 5/7 days that I average at 800 calories too less.

Hello Donnellysdogs. Super advice and will definitely try the Complan - sounds tasty too. My Dr has prescribed Ensure Plus for me and I thin it down with full fat milk. I think if I could relax and stress less it would be a big help - will try to do this too. Thanks again for your input.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Adding fat is how you can balance energy in v energy out. I am fortunate enough to be able to tolerate some carbs, but have still had to increase my fat a bit.

To clarify: Most people eating in this way experience reducing cholesterol levels.

You have a lot going on, but maybe now is the time to grab this diabetes by the throat and give it a decent shake. From what you say, I'd bet you would see a great improvement in your well-being.

Irish Maeve

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain
What about cheese, cream in your coffee or for a dessert. Have you cut out all low fat products and changed to the real thing, such as butter, yogurt, mayonnaise? Dairy fats are quite calorific, and to gain weight or maintain weight you need to up your calories. Extra fats will keep hunger at bay.

Hi. I am wary of too much cream etc as I dont want my cholesterol to go up too high but I have reverted to full fat milk and real butter. Will add in the yogurt as well and see how it goes. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: 4 people

Irish Maeve

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain
Adding fat is how you can balance energy in v energy out. I am fortunate enough to be able to tolerate some carbs, but have still had to increase my fat a bit.

To clarify: Most people eating in this way experience reducing cholesterol levels.

You have a lot going on, but maybe now is the time to grab this diabetes by the throat and give it a decent shake. From what you say, I'd bet you would see a great improvement in your well-being.

I am not very savvy about diets as I never had to be, but I am taking this seriously now. My daughter told our GP that I was living on nuts and salads and she was concerned that I was now over-medicated because of the different diet I was on. I made an appt and am getting bloods done on Tues and seeing GP in a few weeks. Hopefully get that end of things sorted. In the meantime I will increase the fat content and see how that goes. Lots of useful information and help - and extremely thankful for it all. xx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I worry a little about the extra cream etcon my cholesterol levels, but having read here about improvements I'm going to have a test in Dec after a good 6 months of adding cream, chia, flaxseed etc and see if there is a difference. I know the flax and chia etc have hugely improved my stomach. My hubbies BP and cholesterol have dropped hugely since adding more, but he's not diabetic and he has also lost huge weight so isn't a fair comparison to look at, due to the weightloss and extra exercise he does..

I don't want to have to add in complan, but like others I am always on the go and just haven't got the appetite or urge to eat more. I did try doubling up the cheese one night and almost made myself sick and couldn't face cheese for the next two nights afterwards!
I have salmon for fat now that I have never done previously, fishcakes that I have never ate before and occasional muffins etc.. Trying so hard to eat better fats rather than carbs, but complan remains a quickfix. Friend of mine was using ensure drinks to keep his weight up and vitamins after a neck cancer op when he couldn't eat enough and his tube was removed from stomach. They helped him enormously.

Glad to actually hear of others that just want to keep weight even keeled but finding balance harder to maintain rather than losing...Doesn't solve issue but makes me feel less odd!!

A

AnnieC

Ywe certainly seem to be the minority in trying to put on a bit of weight, even if you google it all that comes up is loads on how to loose it on a low carb diet but nothing on how to stop loosing it without stopping the diet.. My doctor was quite shocked at how much weight I had lost She said she would expect a small weight loss when giving up sugar stuff but it is not good to loose more weight than you need to so low carb is not good when that happens so should stop doing it .
When you reach the weight you want to how do you stay there without loosing more while still only eating the same low amount of carbs
My diet is plenty of vegetables and fruit the more variety of colours the better for the full range of vitamins and minerals legumes oily fish like salmon fresh tuna sardines eggs nuts and olive oil but lower fat with dairy like cheese....sometimes I have a little cream and butter and full fat greek yogurt but not every day..... not a big meat lover so mostly chicken. I don't like pasta or rice but do eat Burgen bread

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes we certainly seem to be the minority in trying to put on a bit of weight, even if you google it all that comes up is loads on how to loose it on a low carb diet but nothing on how to stop loosing it without stopping the diet.. My doctor was quite shocked at how much weight I had lost She said she would expect a small weight loss when giving up sugar stuff but it is not good to loose more weight than you need to so low carb is not good when that happens so should stop doing it .
When you reach the weight you want to how do you stay there without loosing more while still only eating the same low amount of carbs
My diet is plenty of vegetables and fruit the more variety of colours the better for the full range of vitamins and minerals oily fish like salmon fresh tuna sardines eggs nuts and olive oil but lower fat with dairy.. have a little cream and butter..... not a big meat lover so mostly chicken. I don't like pasta or rice but do eat Burgen bread

Maintaining weight is a fine balance, and there are a few of us that have met this problem. I haven't increased my carbs at all but have increased my calories, mostly by adding cheese, which I never ate before. I have also added an additional small tin of salmon a week, plus I now have a starter on a Saturday evening and maybe a little more red wine! I have stayed the same weight for the last 10 days and hope it continues.

Reactions: 7 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ywe certainly seem to be the minority in trying to put on a bit of weight, even if you google it all that comes up is loads on how to loose it on a low carb diet but nothing on how to stop loosing it without stopping the diet.. My doctor was quite shocked at how much weight I had lost She said she would expect a small weight loss when giving up sugar stuff but it is not good to loose more weight than you need to so low carb is not good when that happens so should stop doing it .
My diet is plenty of vegetables and fruit the more variety of colours the better for the full range of vitamins and minerals legumes oily fish like salmon fresh tuna sardines eggs nuts and olive oil but lower fat with dairy like cheese....sometimes I have a little cream and butter and full fat greek yogurt but not every day..... not a big meat lover so mostly chicken. I don't like pasta or rice but do eat Burgen bread

Annie - I wrote a bit about this last night, on post 9 of this thread. My preference would have been not to change my eating too much when I neared, then passed my desired weight, but that just didn't work for me. I'm not skeletal, nor am I clinically underweight. I have just over 2kg before I would enter the realms of underweight on the NHS BMI calculator, so not losing more is pretty important to me these days. I seem to have stabilised only to vary +/- 1kg, which, provided it continues, is just fine by me. I certainly don't want to yo-yo.

I know we have been conditioned, long term, to avoid fats, but, for me slightly increased portion sized, slightly more flexibility on carbs (my choice, and those I tolerate), and increased fats has been the way forward. I don't cut slices of cheese and add butter, or drink bulletproof coffee; both of which I find (mentally), a step too far. But, I do eat a bit more cheese, and if having a steak, I will fry it in a tiny amount of oil, then deglaze the pan at the end with a small amount of cream. That delivers a flavour punch, and can be delicious over veg. We might also have a little butter on veggies. It doesn't take much double cream (1 tablespoon is 140 calories), or butter (c200 calories per ounce) to make up a decent number of calories. We just have to do some things we wouldn't ideally. But, for many of us, giving up carbs was doing exactly that - giving up things we'd rather not.

For me, this phase is about fine tuning, not throwing the baby out with the bath water.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I added coconut oil to coffee this morn!! Not bad, Not good, but am going to try and drink a couple of these on days when I'm so low in calorie intake..