Fallenstar

Love! Love! LOVE...we LUUURVED it :lol: baked this aft, and nearly all gone. Thats the trouble in my house :roll: and it's got a whole lot busier since people know there's cake on the go to go with that brew!
I needed to bake mine for 50 mins though so don't know what I did wrong there but at 25 mins it was nowhere near ready :eh: Anyway it was lovely!
For the topping I did half cream cheese ,half mascarpone and the butter, a bit of cinnamon, and a bit of cream ,along with sweetner and a bit of vanilla and lemon lol: Why not go for it! VERY RICH.

Thanks Hun for another low carb belter

WhitbyJet

Fallenstar - good to hear that you enjoyed your cake. Re baking time, mine took 35 minutes last time I made it and the time before 40 minutes, it depends on the oven and size of tin you are using.
I used a slightly smaller tin to give us a higher cake, whereas if you look at the photo in the link the cake looks no higher than the frosting, they must have used a bigger tin.

My theory anyway, I hope this doesnt put anyone off trying out the recipe, because the cake is truly scrumptious and low in carbs.

WhitbyJet

Rosemary Chicken with bacon

Rosemary Chicken with bacon
(a family favourite, the chicken is always tender and moist)

For 4 people
4 chicken breast fillets or could use thighs (skin removed)

1-2 garlic cloves

1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary

grated zest of 1 lemon

1 / 2 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon salt

8 slices bacon

butter

spring onions or leek

2 cups of whipping cream (I didnt want to use that much cream, so I used a bit of chicken stock, then at the end of cooking time I added a good splash of double cream to thicken the sauce)

a few sprigs of rosemary

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.

Mix garlic, rosemary, lemon peel, pepper and half the salt.

Make an incision in the chicken pieces, fill with mixture and wrap 2 slices of bacon around each fillet. Brown chicken pieces in butter in a frying pan.

Cut the spring onions/leek into slices and fry in butter in a saucepan. Add cream and remaining salt. Simmer for approx. 5 minutes. Pour cream mixture into a greased casserole dish and place chicken pieces on top.

Bake in middle of oven for about 15 minutes. Garnish with rosemary sprigs, serve with steamed or sauteed vegetables (new potatoes if your bg levels allow or you are not low carbing)

http://www.livsstilen.no/rosmarinkylling-med-bacon/

You can use different fillings for the chicken, eg Boursin garlic and herb, cheese, green pesto, red pesto, etc - this dish always turns out nice.

Fallenstar

No I hope it doesn't put anyone off, because I am the Queen of carrot cake, Eating it ,not cooking it usually :lol: This is THE nicest one I have ever had...To use my Lads phrase...it's LUSH!

On your recipe post WJ, it says put on low shelf of oven for 25 mins...is that a typo then??? I baked another today and baked it for an hour on those measurements and it looks lovely...not tried it yet as I ve hidden it :lol:

Thanks WJ, it is a fab cake!

WhitbyJet

LASAGNA SHEETS OR NOODLES

FOR 4 PORTIONS:

50 g almond flour
75 g gluten
75 g Soja flour
2 eggs
2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp water
1 tsp sea salt
nutmeg, Chili

For this its best to sift the flour, then mix all ingredients, knead to a smooth dough. If it is too dry, add a little more water.
For lasagna, divide the dough into 4, then roll out each portion to fit the shape of your lasagna dish.
A tip from me: Put a stocking over the rolling pin, this way the pastry never ever sticks and makes rolling out a doddle.

If you want pasta just cut the rolled out dough into thin strips and you have noodles, if you are very posh you will havw a pasta maker and can create all sorts of shapes.

Tried and tested by myself and 2 friends, it works! We can enjoy lasagna, Yippeeee!

WhitbyJet

Swedish Almond Gateau (IKEA)

Swedish Almond Gateau (a recipe from IKEA, they used to serve it in their cafe)

100 g almond flakes
200 g almonds, ground
6 eggs (size L)
sweetener equivalent to 240 g sugar
100 ml whipping cream
225 g butter, softened
1 vanilla pod or desiccated coconut - optional

preparation:
Preheat the oven to 175 degrees. Spread laked almonds on a baking sheet and bake in the oven until golden brown.
Separate the eggs.
Using a handmixer, mix together the egg yolks and cream in a bowl placed over hot water, the water must be just below boiling point, if it is any hotter you will be making scrambed egg so be careful!!
Whisk the yolks and cream until you have a thickish/creamy consistency. Remove the bowl from the heat, place it over a pan of very cold water (just so that the bottom of the bowl is immersed, and continue to whisk until the mixture is cool. Whisk in the softened butter, a bit at a time, then add sweetener equivalent to 100g of sugar (and contents of scraped out vanilla pod or desiccated coconut if using.Could use a few drops of vanilla extract if no pod to hand, but dont make the cream go runny)
Set the cream aside and prepare the cake as follows:
Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment, draw 2 circles of 22cm diameter onto each tray. Whisk the egg whites slightly, add sweetener equivalent to 140 g sugar and beat until stiff. Gradually and carefully fold in the ground almonds. Spread the cake mixture evenly onto the circles.
If you have a fan oven slide both trays into the oven, bake for 15 - 20 minutes. If yours isnt fan assisted you need to swap the baking sheets round at half time so that the sheet that goes in at the lower shelf is then placed on top shelf.
When cooked, remove the baking aheets from the oven, pull off the baking parchments, let the cakes cool.
When cooled, spread one cake with the cream, place other cake on top, spread top and sides with the remaining cream and sprinkle with toasted flaked almonds on top and cover sides (use a palette knife for this).
Leave the cake in the fridge for a minimum of 6 hours or better still overnight.
The cake is dry and hard when it comes out of the oven, but it absorbs moisture from the cream and is nice and soft when you finally take it out of the fridge.

Scroll down on the page to view the finished product
http://lchf.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=972

WhitbyJet

dl CONVERSION

I have received a few PMs from people asking how to convert a dl to British measurements.
In Scandinavian countries they seem to be very fond of using this 'dl' thing, so as a guideline here is the British equivalent

1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons = 15 ml (6.7 tablespoons to a dl)

Hope this helps, happy cooking/baking :) :)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
100ml, then.

=1dl (DeciLitre - 1/10th of a litre). :wink:

WhitbyJet

Cinnamon Parfait

Cinnamon Parfait
Simply divine!

2egg yolks
250 ml whipping cream
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Sweetener to taste
Whisk together the egg yolks sweetener and cinnamon
In a separate bowl whisk the cream until it holds its shape.
Now carefully combine both mixtures. Fill into a small loaf tin or muffin tins (I used pretty blancmange moulds)level out the surface cover with foil and freeze for a few hours.
Serve with chocolate tipped almond biscuits or coconut kisses or you could make a raspberry coulis ; made from frozen berries is fine.
Anyone would like cookie recipes give me a shout.

libbyM

I came across this recipe using chestnut flour. Haven't made it yet as I hadn't realised the quantity of flour and didn;t have sufficient. The flour is quite expensive but I'll try it once and see if it's worth the expense.

From Sydney, Australia Member since Tue 22 Jun 04
Re: Chestnut Flour
CHESTNUT FLOUR CAKE (Castagnaccio)
115 g sultanas
450 g chestnut flour, sieved
1/2 teaspoon salt
cold water
olive oil
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
3 tablespoons pine nuts
1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary

Cover sultanas with cold water and leave to soak for 15 minutes, drain and dry. Mix together the chestnut flour, salt and stir in enough cold water to make a batter which is slightly thicker than pancake batter.

Oil a shallow cake tine and pour in the batter, smooth it with a spoon, then scatter over the caraway seeds, pine nuts, rosemary and sultanas.

Drizzle a little more oil over the top and bake in a moderately hot oven (190 C) for 10-15 minutes or until the surface is crispy. Serve warm or cold with chilled white wine

WhitbyJet

Oh goodness this is NOT a low carb recipe. Chestnut flour has 70g carbs per cup!
Try using coconut flour or almond flour or peanut flour or even a mixture me them.
Interesting recipe thought :~)

WhitbyJet

Libby you are NOT stupid at all. Like all of us you are learning about the different foods and how they can affect our blood sugar.
Believe you me I have made my mistakes over the years and am stilll not perfect. Its all a case of trial and error for everyone not just you and me.
Its lovely to have you on board and please don't stop posting recipes if they are not suitable for low carb maybe we can adapt then together. Having said that not everyone in here is following a low carb diet so some members will want to try out this recipe its gluten free. You could post it in the non low carb recipe section?

libbyM

Just to give me a bit of help please I found this recipe and wondered if it's ok for a low carb recipe. Served with a side green salad.

Sweet potato cutlets
3 Sweet potato
1 inch ginger chopped
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cummin
2 green chillies
3 tsp oil
2 tsp salt

Bake potatoes in oven until cooked approx. 1 hour
peel when cooled and mash with all other ingredients
make patties
heat oil in pan over medium heat
shallow fry until nicely brown

WhitbyJet

Libby sweet potato are starchy carbs so they would probably spike your blood sugar levels.
But there is more to this. You see some people can tolerate more carbs than others so unless you test your levels before you fat Joe tpdm2 hours after dating you won't know how now carbs you should allow for.
I am no 50 carb a day and no medication others can have more carbs and quilt keep home levels others need medication and so no. No two diabetes are the same. Just like some people don't develop complications yet others are unlucky and start with complications very quickly. It all depends on how long they may have been diabetic before the official diagnosis came.
So its difficult to give advice on how many carbs you should eat.
I note that you live in France hmmm I wonder would you like me to send you a carb counting booklet, you said you don't speak much French. I would be very happy to send you a book from the UK if you send me an address via PM.

Apart from low carb you might want to consider low GI I can send you some links on that if you like?