diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi Claire, many thanks for the info, someone else told me that they stink until well rinsed. I have been told that they are better if left in whatever sauce you have made overnight so that they can absorb the flavours and also after rinsing well dry fry them over a high heat for 1 minute, or microwave for 1 minute to ensure that they are completely dry. I haven't tried them yet I was waiting for my local Asda to restock their own make red thai sauce as it is low in carbs and I fancied trying the noodles with that, Deb x

maggie2

Diadeb I replied to your query but am unsure whether any of the replies I sent were received. :eh: Whitby jet has posted the link now and I think you will find it very helpful and inspiring. The almond bread is a bit of a fiddle making the almond butter but next time I'll make double the dose if the budget allows :)

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just wondering about the almond butter, could you make it with ground almonds or would you have to start with whole almonds and do they have to have the skin on? I eat quite a lot of ground almonds but bought some almond butter and didn't like it.

WhitbyJet

Denise - yes you can make it with ground almonds, you can make the almond butter with whole, skin left on, almonds you get brown butter, or you can use blanched almonds, you get white almond butter.
If you use ground almonds thats fine, because if you used whole almonds you would grind them down till they are butter and at some stage they would be ground, you continue to process and it turns smooth into butter.

The one thing to note is that the already ground almonds will be a little dry, so if you find that you dont get any smooth butter, add a tiny amount of oil to them, and process till its all creamy and smooth.

I find the dark almond butter has a bitter taste to it, so I prefer the white one.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 2 people

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks WJ. I will try making the almond butter with the ground almonds as I already have some. I really fancy making the almond butter bread.

Rhiannonalan

Gujarati cabbage and Carrots

Shred a green cabbage (dark if possible)
Grate 3 carrots
Chop small bunch of coriander
Juice one lemon
Chop one green chilli

Heat some oil in a pan ( I use ground nut or ghee). When hot put in desert spoon of mustard seeds and a pinch of asafoetida. Once seeds are popping add cabbage and stir. Salt to taste and add carrots. Stir and add chilli and lemon juice.. Put lid on pan and allow to steam in lemon juice. Add teaspoon of Splenda and chopped coriander and enjoy.

WhitbyJet

Rhiannonalan said:
Gujarati cabbage and Carrots

Shred a green cabbage (dark if possible)
Grate 3 carrots
Chop small bunch of coriander
Juice one lemon
Chop one green chilli

Heat some oil in a pan ( I use ground nut or ghee). When hot put in desert spoon of mustard seeds and a pinch of asafoetida. Once seeds are popping add cabbage and stir. Salt to taste and add carrots. Stir and add chilli and lemon juice.. Put lid on pan and allow to steam in lemon juice. Add teaspoon of Splenda and chopped coriander and enjoy.

Going to make this tomorrow, thanks for posting :thumbup:

maggie2

Found this on the Russell James website

For the spiced mango chutney

2 medium mangoes
2 pinches salt
2 teaspoons lemon Juice
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1/2 teaspoon cumin

- Finely dice one mango and set aside.

- Blend all remaining ingredients in a high power blender.

- Add the diced mango to the blender and blend on low for a few seconds

maggie2

Whitbyjet kindly reminded me mango is so high in carbs the recipe I posted was not really helpful :oops: However, as I am a great lover of curry I thought perhaps if only a spoonful was used it might suit some. Could also be used with cold meat but stand corrected and not wishing to contribute something which could send all our numbers skyhigh I apologise. These newbies :mrgreen:

Would like to know if many others have tried and tested Divalicious recipes as I've had a couple of failures and was wondering if anyone else had too. Would make me feel a little less foolish if they have :) Have had some successes too :)

WhitbyJet

maggie2 said:
Whitbyjet kindly reminded me mango is so high in carbs the recipe I posted was not really helpful :oops: However, as I am a great lover of curry I thought perhaps if only a spoonful was used it might suit some. Could also be used with cold meat but stand corrected and not wishing to contribute something which could send all our numbers skyhigh I apologise. These newbies :mrgreen:

Would like to know if many others have tried and tested Divalicious recipes as I've had a couple of failures and was wondering if anyone else had too. Would make me feel a little less foolish if they have :) Have had some successes too :)

Maggie - dont worry about it, mango is definitely not a low carb fruit, but some people's pancreas might be able to handle a little bit of mango, people need to test to know for sure, having said that on average 1tbsp of mango chutney has around 10 carbs, so if someone is on a low carb diet to lose weight or to keep their bg levels steady, 10 carbs is a big chunk of their daily carb allowance.
I hope I didnt offend you Maggie, its the last thing that I would want to do.

As far as recipes and kitchen disasters go, look no further, I have had more than my fair share of disasters what with cakes collapsing and meatballs disintegrating and biscuits burning, it happens to us all, why it even happens to top chefs you know!!

A

Anonymous

Got bored this evening, so decided to play with Almond pancakes again. This mix worked a bit better;

1/2 cup ground almonds
1/4 cup Milk
1 egg
Pinch Salt
Drip of Vanilla Essence
1/4 tsp of Baking Soda

Mix it altogether and spoon about a 3rd of the mixture at a time into a hot frying pan that's had some butter melted in it. Flip as it browns.

I had absolutely nothing to go with mine though they'd be lovely with red berries. I squeezed some lemon juice over them. It satisfied the urge for something cakey. Someone else can work out the carbs but it didn't feel like much.

SweetHeart

Please has anyone got a copy of Candice's Chocolate & Raspberry Cake recipe from ticklemysweettooth.com? I didn't copy & paste it and the site has gone down. It's my birthday soon and I wanted to make this cake especially. I also need to do...er...a trial run....this weekend :wink:

Baked one last Saturday and it was gorgeous fresh from the oven. We stored the rest in the fridge and, when chilled, it was like fudge!

Ju

WhitbyJet

SweetHeart said:
Please has anyone got a copy of Candice's Chocolate & Raspberry Cake recipe from ticklemysweettooth.com? I didn't copy & paste it and the site has gone down. It's my birthday soon and I wanted to make this cake especially. I also need to do...er...a trial run....this weekend :wink:

Baked one last Saturday and it was gorgeous fresh from the oven. We stored the rest in the fridge and, when chilled, it was like fudge!

Ju

Here you go, hope you have a wonderful birthday x x

12 servings

Ingredients:

2 - 100g 85% Lindt chocolate bar(7oz)
8.5oz unsalted butter(1 cup + 1 tablespoon)
1/2 cup xylitol
1/4 cup granulated Splenda
6 large eggs, whisked up
1 teaspoon vanilla
19 tablespoons (1 cup + 3 tablespoons)Dutch process cocoa powder
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries(you can make without if you do not care for raspberries)

Preheat oven to 375°F
butter an 8-inch round baking pan. Line bottom with a round of parchment paper. If you do not have parchment you can just dust cocoa powder over the buttered pan(exactly the same way you butter and flour a cake pan).
Break up chocolate into small pieces. In a double boiler or metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt chocolate with butter, stirring, until smooth. Remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat and whisk xylitol and Splenda into chocolate mixture. Add eggs & vanilla, whisk well. (eggs should be added slowly while whisking quickly) Sift cocoa powder over chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined. Pour batter into pan. If adding raspberries, add now by evenly distributing over smoothed out batter in pan. Gently press raspberries down.
Bake at 375f oven for 25-35 minutes.(no raspberries is close to 27 min and with raspberries a few mins longer)

SweetHeart

WJ you are a STAR!! Thank you so much!

I can highly recommend this easy peasy recipe. It's even easier if you nuke the chocolate & butter in a microwave (at thirty second bursts, stirring well in between nukes, don't over heat) Also, it only needs half the sweetener if you use Splenda or Candarel type sweeteners. Serve with cream or Defren's icecream.

I also made it subbing half the cocoa for soy flour and it was still incredible chocolatey, fudgey numminess. It has about 5g carbs per slice if I remember correctly.

You can also omit the berries and glaze the cake;

Melt 4 ounces or 110g dark chocolate (about 80% cocoa) and 2oz/50g butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat, stirring until smooth. Or nuke as above. Remove from heat, then stir in 1 tsp vanilla extract and 2 tbps cream and pinch of sweetener to taste. Stir until smooth and set aside to cool slightly. When coolish place your cold cake on a cooling rack and pour the glaze over the top. Leave to set.

Another delicious topping is Ganache. Weigh 4oz 110g double (heavy) cream into a small saucepan along with equal measures of dark chocolate. Heat gently until melted. Do not boil. Remove from heat and keep stirring until quite cool. You can speed this process up by placing your saucepan in cold water but be very, very careful not to get water into the pan or it's game over! When cool pour over your cold cake.

These toppings will, of course, up the carb count - from 5g to 7g per slice.

Ju

WhitbyJet

Rhubarb Crumble Pie

Rhubarb Crumble Pie -
This was gorgeous! The recipe is inspired by Mark Bites Man's Rhubarb Crisp.
For four servings:
4 large sticks rhubarb
sweetener to taste
grated peel of orange (can be replaced with lemon peel)
a little orange juice (can be substituted for lemon juice)
a handful of berries (eg. strawberries or raspberries)
1 cup finely ground almonds
50 g butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
a small handful of walnuts
a small handful of hazelnuts

Wash, rinse and cut rhubarb. Mix (about 2 tbsp Splenda) sweetener, grated orange peel, orange juice and berries with rhubarb. Put the rhubarb mixture into a casserole dish.
Mix 1 tbsp Splenda, cinnamon and finely ground almonds. Crumble the butter into the almond mixture and sprinkle on to the fruit, finally top with chopped hazelnuts and walnuts.
Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for approx 40 minutes.
Leave to cool a bit and serve warm with whipped cream.

Please note: adjust amount of sweetener to suit your taste

http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.co.uk/2010 ... repai.html

WhitbyJet

Breadrolls/Breadcakes

100ml sesame seeds
50ml of sunflower seeds
50ml oatbran
30ml of flaxseed
200ml grated cheese
4 eggs
1 tbsp psyllum husks
1/2 tsp salt
11/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons nigella seeds (can be omitted, use other seeds, eg aniseed or fennel seed or herbs instead)
poppy seeds or sesame seeds or other seeds for garnish _______________________________________________________________________________
Grind sesame and sunflower seeds in a blender. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Whisk the eggs and cheese, then mix in the dry ingredients.
Leave the mixture to stand for a few minutes, if it is not thick enough you can add more bran.
Shape the dough into large rolls. I find it easiest to do this with a tablespoon dipped in water.
Sprinkle seeds on top and bake at 180 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.co.uk/2011 ... ykker.html

Had them this morning, buttered and filled with bacon and fried egg, peeled tomato HEAVENLY!!

Defren

Caveman crumble

This recipe has no exact amounts of ingredients, it really is a Paleo dish at it's best. (Can you imagine a cave wife with a set of scales)? :lol: The recipe does call for honey, I would substitute with a sweetner you normally use.

You need berries, one or a mixture of what you like, some sweetner (not honey that is used in the recipe) some butter and almond flour. The nutritional/carb/calories will be dictated by how much of each ingredient you use, and how many servings you divide the dish into. I would serve with loads of double cream whipped up nice and thick - Enjoy.

http://livingintheiceage.pjgh.co.uk/201 ... umble.html

WhitbyJet

Friend from Bavaria staying with us, she cooked this amazing typical bavarian meal for us, I would like to share it with you

Courgette goulash:

1 Kg courgettes
3 onions, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp tomato puree
salt, cayenne pepper, marjoram, caraway seeds
3 tbsp paprika
100ml bouillon
clarified butter for frying
50ml double cream
Peel and dice the courgettes. Fry onion until golden, add garlic, fry for another minute, add tomato puree, spices and bouillon powder, plus 100ml of water, add courgettes, stir through and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in double cream to thicken the sauce.

Serve with a low carb dumpling, make these the day before, these are worth the bit of extra effort:
250 g Low-Carb-Bread
2 eggs
1small onion, finely diced
1-2 tbsp Butter
125 ml milk
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper

makes 6 dumplings at 2.5 carbs each

Cut bread into 1cm cubes, place in bowl, add parsley, salt and pepper. Fry onion until translucent but not browned, pour milk into pan, bring to boil, take off the heat and pour over the bread mixture. Add the eggs, and stir through gently, leave mixture to stand for 1/2 hour.
Shape mixture into 6 dumplings, freeze, then place each solid frozen dumpling into a boil-in-the bag freezer bag. When you are ready to use them, bring a pan of water to a rolling boil, place dumpling with the bag into the water, reduce heat and simmer for 15 mins, serve with goulash or any other dish that has lots of sauce, eg ragout, casseroles, stews, etc.

Here is a photo of dumplings with creamed mushrooms.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/9/ ... oedel.jpg/

Attachments

• CourgetteGoulash.jpg
    CourgetteGoulash.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 2,807

kellyrae

Oven baked courgette's stuffed with goats cheese, topped with parma ham and a small squirt of honey on top, I love this, I just take the ends off two courgettes, part oven bake them whole untill quite soft, run a sharp knife down the middle, pull either side apart and place sliced goats cheese inside, top with slithers of parma ham, with a little covering of honey and pop back into the oven untill the cheese is slightly browned.......very tasty and great by itself or great with grilled chicken :) :thumbup: