WhitbyJet

Cooking with cool cucumbers

Bored of eating cucumbers sliced in salads or tzaziki only I experimented with some recipes I found on French and German websites

Stuffed cucumbers
Ingredients:
3 cucumbers, peeled, seeds removed, cut into 2 inch slices
300g minced beef/pork mix
1 egg
1 onion finely chopped, 2 cloves of garlic crushed
2 tbsp chopped parsley
Salt, pepper, butter or oil
6 rashers of bacon
Bouillon powder
double cream to thicken sauce, about 5tbsps
Melt butter in a pan, add onion, garlic and parsley and sautee for a few minutes until the onion is translucent but not browned. Add the mince, egg, salt and pepper and mix well, stuff mixture into the hollows of the cucumbers.
Place cucumber in a buttered, ovenproof dish, top with bacon rashers, add 150ml bouillon, cover and cook in the oven until the cucumbers are soft but still with a bit of bite (test with a fork). Thicken sauce with double cream just before serving.

Serve with a turnip/swede roesti = cook turnip/swede until al dente, fry onion until golden, add swede/turnip, fry for a couple of minutes, season with salt and pepper.

Cucumbers piquant
Ingredients:
2 large cucumbers, roughly 1kg
1 red and 1 green pepper, cut into strips
1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
2 tubs of crème fraiche
50 g capers, finely chopped
Salt, pepper, mild mustard, pinch of sweetener
butter
Wash cucumbers, cut in half lengthways, remove seeds and cut into slices, about ½ inch thick.
Melt butter in a pan, add the pepper strips and sautee for about 3 minutes, add the cucumbers and continue to sautee until cucumbers are al dente. Add creme fraiche and mustard, cook for a further 5 minutes. Add parsley, and season with salt, pepper, sweetener and capers.
This is delicious with fish, roasts or sausages, or for vegetarians with roesti as above.

Cucumber Ragout
Ingredients:
800 g cucumbers
Bouillon powder
Juice of 1 lemon
salt, pepper
250ml thick yogurt or soured cream/crème fraiche
40 g Butter
5tbsp chopped dill or more
Salt, pepper, sweetener

Peel cucumbers, remove seeds, cut in half lengthways and into 2cm slices.
Melt butter, add cucumber, yogurt/cream, lemon juice, bouillon powder, simmer until cucumbers are al dente, add dill, simmer for a further minute and season with salt, pepper, sweetener.
Delicious with roast/boiled beef slices, fish, sausages, roesti as above

WhitbyJet

Creamed green beans

Green beans

Trim and cut green beans (2cm length), simmer in bouillon until al dente.
Melt butter in a saucepan, add finely chopped onion and crushed garlic, saute until onion is translucent but not browned. Add drained green beans, add finely chopped dill, cook for a further minute, then stir in 1 pot of soured cream or creme fraiche, heath through gently and season with lemon juice, salt, pepper and touch of sweetener.
If you want more sauce, add some of the cooking liquid and thicken with guar/xanthan gum but be careful you arent making jelly!!
(keep the cooking liquid, use it to make soup).
Creamed green beans are delicious served with roast/boiled beef, fish or with a turnip/swede roesti.

Attachments

• dill-fisolen.jpg
    dill-fisolen.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 2,666

WhitbyJet

Spinach-Gorgonzola Gratin & Spinach and Cheese Burgers

A speedy lunch
Simply place spinach, chopped onion, crushed or finely chopped garlic, cream, salt, pepper, grating of nutmeg in a pan with melted butter, sautee for a few minutes, than place in a buttered ovenproof dish, top with strips of ham or bacon and crumbled gorgonzola or other cheese to your liking.
Cook in the oven until bacon/ham is crispy and cheese melted.

http://lchf.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3787

----------------------------------------------------

Use frozen spinach, place in a sieve to defrost, squeeze out the liquid.
Add 200g gouda/edam or any other cheese you like
100g almond flour
3 eggs
salt, pepper, grating of nutmeg
Mix well,shape into burgers, fry in clarified butter until lightly browned, serve with a dollop of creme fraiche on top or a tomato sauce is nice with it too.

These are also nice if you add bacon to the mixture or garlic/chopped onion, feta - experiment and enjoy!!

http://lchf.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2579

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
i just had lunch WJ.... you are killing me girl!! i want to go home and cook :)

WhitbyJet

RaspberryMousse Torte

I made this for a christening yesterday, nobody guessed its low carb, went down a treat, was asked for the recipe

RaspberryMousse Torte

Ingredients:
For the base:
200 g ground almonds
3tb erythritol or equivalent
3-4 tbsp double cream
150 g soft butter
3 eggs
3 tablespoons coconut flour

Raspberry mousse:
8 leaves of gelatine
500 g raspberries
5 ml double cream
3 tablespoons erythritol or equivalent

Decoration:
1 box of fresh raspberries
lemon balm leaves or any other edible leaves/flowers to make it look pretty

Mix the ground almonds and sweetener in a food processor, pulse a few times, then add a tablespoon of cream at a time to form a paste consistency, add the butter and pulse a few times, then add one egg at a time, pulsing after each addition. Finally stir in the coconut flour by hand.

Grease and line a spring form tin, 24cm diameter, pour the almond mixture into the tin and spread out evenly. Bake at 175C fir 20 minutes. Leave in the tin to cool completely, then remove to take off the paper, place cake base back into the tin.
Make the Raspberry mousse:
Soak gelatine in cold water for at least 5 minutes. Mash up the raspberries, pour about 1 cup of the raspberry puree into a saucepan and heat it up, add the cream and sweetener and mix well, sqeeze out the gelatine and mix it into hot raspberry puree, stir well, then mix all the raspberry puree together and pour onto the cake base in the spring form tin. Place in the freezer for at least 4 hours, remove 1 hour before serving, run a knife dipped in warm water round the edge, decorate with fresh raspberries and lemon balm or any other edible leaves/flowers.

http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=1400

WhitbyJet

claymic said:
i just had lunch WJ.... you are killing me girl!! i want to go home and cook :)

Awww, nooooooo I dont want to do that, but yes, do try out the recipes, let me know if you enjoy them as much as we do.

All the best x

WhitbyJet

Chicken satay:

Chicken Fillet - calculate one per. person
For each fillet you need:
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoons kecap Manis (its an Indonesian sweet soy sauce, from Asian food stores or online)
1 tablespoon oil, but I used coconut oil
This is the marinade for the chicken fillets, brush the fillets with the mixture, leave in the fridge for at least two hours, turn the chicken a couple of times so its really well marinaded on all sides.
Soak wooden skewers in water, thread the chicken on to them and grill or cook on the bbq (ever the optimistic here)

Peanut sauce 4 persons:
3 cups salted peanuts
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cups coconut milk
1 or 2 fresh red chillies, seeds removed
2 cm fresh ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons fresh cilantro/coriander leaves, chopped
4 teaspoons kecap Manis
2-4 teaspoons curry powder
2 tablespoons chicken stock

Fry onion and garlic in a little oil, I used coconut oil, fry the peanuts until they are light brown, but be careful you dont burn them, its best to stir them all the time or alternatively you can spread them out on a baking tray and roast at 180C until they are pale brown in colour.
Put all the ingredients into a blender and process until you have a nice smooth sauce. Place in a saucepan and stirring regularly simmer slightly for about 10 minutes, adjust seasoning if necessary.

I served this with a low carb flat bread instead of carby sticky rice, and spring onion tassles and it was delicious!!

http://mariesmatmisjon.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... tsaus.html

Low carb flat bread/bread sticks recipe = http://www.travelinglowcarb.com/680/low ... ad-recipe/
You can ddd herbs or spices to the bread mixture, eg Indian spices if you serve it with curries

WhitbyJet

Breakfast Cereals

http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/forum/v ... p?f=4&t=25
From my favourite NZ site, breakfast ideas for those missing their cereals.
Add berries, cocoa powder, cinnamon.....for variation. Enjoy!!

PORRIDGE! YAY!
I've been having porridge cravings so I had to make some.

This is what I've come up with:

4Tbsps L.S.A
2Tbsps Ground Almonds
2Tbsps Unflavoured Whey Protein Powder
Pinch of salt

Put all ingredients in a jar and shake.

I make this up in 2 or 3 batches at once and store it in the fridge.
Each batch does me 3-4 servings.

Mix whatever quantity (2 Tbsps) with about 1.5-twice (3-4 Tbsps)the amount of boiling water. Stir and let sit for 4-5 minutes. Then either microwave until bubbling (20-30 seconds on high) or in a small pot on the stove top until bubbling and thickened. Serve with lots of cream.

I find 2 Tbsps more than plenty to fill me up or 3 Tbsps on a hungry day. Adjust the amount of water to how thick you like it. I like it on the thicker side and my water quantities reflect this.
Enjoy!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Almond Muesli

1 cup Slivered Almonds (or chunky ground)
1/2 cup Ground Almonds
3/4 cup Sunflower Seeds
3/4 cup Pumpkin Seeds
3/4 cup Sesame Seeds
1 1/2 cups Coconut Shreds
2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Stevia
4 Tbl Coconut Oil
1/2 cup Water - hot
1 tsp Vanilla

Combine almonds, seeds, coconut, cinnamon, salt and stevia.
Combine water and oil, when melted and coolish add vanilla.
Add to the nut mix and stir until well mixed.
Place on oven tray
Bake at 325F for 1 hour (stirring as needed)

Makes 6 cups approx.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chia Nut Muesli

2 cups Ground Almonds
1 cup Ground Hazelnuts
1 cup Ground Macadamias
1/2 cup Chia Seeds
1 cup Sunflower Seeds
1 cup Coconut Shreds
2 tsp Cinnamon
2 Tbl Vanilla Whey/Protein Powder
1/2 tsp Stevia
125 g Butter - Melted

Mix dry ingredients together. Stir in melted butter.
Put on an oven tray
Bake in Oven at 325F for 30 minutes - Stir

Makes 7 cups approx

NB - Any combination of ground nuts can be done - Pecans, Brazil etc.

xxx
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sarah Wilson has just released her I Quit Sugar cookbook.
Here's her recipe for Coco-Nutty Granola.

Coco-nutty granola
Makes: 4-5 cups; Prep time: 5 minutes; Cook time: 20 minutes

4-5 Tbsp coconut oil (or butter melted)
3 cups coconut flakes
2 Tbsp chia seeds
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
2 cups almonds, pecans, walnuts, cashews, pepitas (preferably activated), roughly chopped
3 Tbsp rice malt syrup (optional – if you prefer your granola a little sweet)

- Preheat over to 120′C. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, spread evenly on baking paper on a tray and bake for approx 20 minutes until golden, turning halfway.

- When golden (the darker it is, the more crunchy it will be), remove and cool immediately

- If you’re adding rolled oats, add 2 cups to the mix with the other ingredients and a little more oil and syrup
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WhitbyJet

WAFFLES

Another really good waffle recipe to try:

AMERICAN WAFFLES
http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... afler.html

This is originally a pancake recipe, the author of the blog used the pancake batter in the waffle maker with perfect results as can be seen from the photos

This recipe makes 6 waffles

200g Philadelphia or supermarkets own cream cheese
2 to 3 tablespoons erythritol or equivalent
a few drops of vanilla
optional a few pinches of ground cardamom, or cinnamon
4 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoons psyllium husks

Whisk together eggs and cream cheese to a smooth batter. I do this in the blender. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well, leave the batter to stand for 15 minutes or so to thicken slightly, it should be slightly thicker than an ordinary pancake/waffle batter. If its too thick you can add a little bit of cream to it, but make sure its not too thin or you will end up with very thin waffles.
Eat with cream, berries, nut butter, home made low carb nutella, or leave out the sweetener, add a little salt to the batter and eat with savoury toppings. Either way its a really good recipe.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Waffles just like grandma used to make

2 medium eggs
3 tbsp almond butter (or for a more intesnive flavour you could use tahini = sesame paste)
sweetener or salt

Mix everything together, make waffles as you normally would, these are delicious just spread with butter alone

calories 127kcal
fat 10,5g
carbs 0,5g (if you use tahini its slightly higher)
protein 7,7g
http://lchf.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29 ... ie+bei+oma

Or with coconut:
2 eggs
100ml shredded coconut
100ml cream

mix everything together

Eat with you waffles with berries and cream, or berry coulis and greek yoghurt or savoury, eg 2 waffles with grated cheese cheese in the middle, it melts then add red onion, or creme fraiche with prawns, avocado, etc

or these

http://www.organicthrifty.com/2010/05/1 ... e-waffles/ you can omit the honey, use sweetener instead or salt if you want savoury waffles

Our favourties are grandma's waffles, but any of these recipes will give you nice cricpsy waffles, let me know how you get on.
You can make almond butter yourself, simply grind almonds until you have a paste.

WhitbyJet

POPPYSEED CHEESECAKE (Continental Deli)

I still have my friend from Bavaria staying :D so am making the most of it, asking her nicely to translate some of those German recipes for us.

POPPYSEED CHEESECAKE (Continental Deli)

100 grams ground hazelnuts
10 grams of protein powder
45 grams butter, cold
Sweetener equiv to 25g sugar

For the poppy seed filling
60 ml single cream
25 grams of butter
3 drops of vanilla
125 grams of poppy seeds, ground (you can buy these very cheaply in Polish deli shops)
Sweetener equivalent to 25g sugar

For the quark mass
250 g quark
1 egg
100 grams of sour cream
1 teaspoon psyllium husks
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Sweetener equivalent to 50 grams of sugar

The base:
Line the base of a 20cm springform pan with parchment paper. Mix the hazelnuts, protein powder and sweetener together. Then add the butter and mix well, using your fingers or back of a spoon press the dough firmly and evenly into the base of the lined tin.

Now make the poppyseed mixture:
In a small saucepan heat up the cream, butter, vanilla and sweetener, remove from heat me, butter, flavoring, sweetener in a pot to boil on the stove. Remove from the heat and stir in the poppy seeds, cover and leave while you make the cheese mixture.

The cheese mixture:
Separate the egg, add a very tiny pinch of salt to the eggwhite and whisk until stiff.
Mix together the egg yolk, quark, sweetener, sour cream and psyllium husks until smooth, then carefully fold in the eggwhite.

Bake on the lower shelf at 170°C for 30 minutes and then at 195°C for a further 10 minutes until the top is golden brown.
34.1g carbs for the whole cake

See the photo here: http://www.kochbar.de/rezept/420494/Moh ... -Carb.html

Reactions: 2 people

Defren

Re: Caveman crumble

Defren said:
This recipe has no exact amounts of ingredients, it really is a Paleo dish at it's best. (Can you imagine a cave wife with a set of scales)? :lol: The recipe does call for honey, I would substitute with a sweetner you normally use.

You need berries, one or a mixture of what you like, some sweetner (not honey that is used in the recipe) some butter and almond flour. The nutritional/carb/calories will be dictated by how much of each ingredient you use, and how many servings you divide the dish into. I would serve with loads of double cream whipped up nice and thick - Enjoy.

http://livingintheiceage.pjgh.co.uk/201 ... umble.html

I made this today, I used:

200g Almond flour
250g rhubarb
100g strawberry's
20g Splenda
60g softened butter

I stewed the rhubarb in the splenda until soft, then put it and the strawberry's into an ovenproof dish. I mixed the almond flour and butter until it resembled breadcrumbs, and covered the fruit mixture. It cooked at around 180 degrees for 30-40 minutes. I ended up serving it with lashings of single cream.

While this has to be the highest carb and calorie item I have eaten since diagnosis, I can't begin to tell you how good it was. I have more rhubarb in the fridge, and I think it will be going into another crumble later in the week. :lol:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Wait - low-carb CRUMBLE?!? GODDAMN - I need to see pics!!!

Perfect excuse for you to make another! :wink:

WhitbyJet

Patch said:

Defren enclosed a link, you can see the photo there = http://livingintheiceage.pjgh.co.uk/201 ... umble.html
I also posted a very similar recipe on the previous page, and the link to the photo and original recipe =
http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.co.uk/2010 ... repai.html

I am in total agreement with Defren, its heavenly manna, with lashings of cream of course!! I bet you are rushing out to buy the ingredients??

WhitbyJet

Quick Fish

Quick Fish

2 carrots
2 courgettes
1 onion, finely chopped
salt pepper sweetener
parsley, finely chopped
fish fillets, cod or whiting, or any other fish you want to use
bacon

Wash and trim carrots, cut into thin ribbons using a vegetable peeler, peel the courgettes, cut into thin ribbons.
Melt good knob of butter in a pan, fry onion until soft and translucent, add carrot ribbons, cook for 5 minutes, add courgette ribbons and cook until al dente, season with salt, pepper, small pinch of sweetener and chopped parsley, touch of Maggi liquid seasoning or soya sauce.
Wrap bacon rashers around the fish, fry until browned on both sides and bacon is crispy.
Place veggies on to a plate and the fish on top - Enjoy!!

Attachments

• QuickFish.jpg
    QuickFish.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 3,758

Defren

Patch said:

Patch, it's out of this world, honestly. I bought some organic rhubarb for this and I added strawberry's but you can add any berry's or fruits you can tolerate. The almond flour crumble is a million times nicer than wheat flour crumble, and of course mixed with real dairy butter, it is a real winner.

Momblegoose

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh gawd .. did I really need to find this thread just now? My belly is growling. I am going to try that crumble once my 8 weeks is up.

Defren

Momblegoose said:
Oh gawd .. did I really need to find this thread just now? My belly is growling. I am going to try that crumble once my 8 weeks is up.

Sorry Mumble :cry: Don't look at this thread or any other food threads, just think of your nicely defatted pancreas, and how slim and svelte you will be soon.

WhitbyJet

Stuffed courgettes (vegetarian)

Stuffed courgettes (vegetarian)
8 courgettes
3 small tomatoes
1 onion
2 cloves of arlic
1 Mozzarella
70g Parmesan
salt, pepper, nutmeg, fresh finely chopped herbs of your choice, olive oil

Sauce
70 ml soured cream 100ml vegetable bouillon
spices as above

Wash courgettes, cut in half lengthways, scoop out the centre and cut into small dice, cut tomatoes and onion into small dice, crush the garlic cloves, cut the cheese into small dice.
Mix all ingredients with the spices, herbs and parmesan cheese, taste the mixture, adjust seasoning if necessary and use to pile on to the the hollowed out courgettes.
Place in a buttered ovenproof dish, bake for 30 minutes at 200 degrees.

Mix together the soured cream and bouillon, season with spices as above and serve with the courgettes.

This is a simple, but delicious side dish and goes with just about anything.

Attachments

• StuffedCourgettes(vegetarian).jpg
    StuffedCourgettes(vegetarian).jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 3,727

WhitbyJet

Fish a la moody maid

Fish a la moody maid

Ingredients:

per person 2 x 100g fish fillets, recipe states salmon but any fish is good
200g soured cream or creme fraiche
sliced mushrooms
mixed wild mushrooms, sliced or dried
100g grated cheese of your choice
1 onion, finely diced
dill, chives, finely chopped
100ml bouillon
lemon juice, salt and pepper
olive oil or butter

Heat butter/oil in a pan, fry the onion until golden, add mushrooms, fry for a further minute or two until slightly browned
Place fish fillets into a greased ovenproof dish or baking tray, top with mushroom mixture, mix together the soured cream/creme fraiche and bouillon, simmer until sauce thickens slightly, season with salt, pepper, lemon juice and fresh herbs, fold in the cheese and pour over the fish fillets

Bake for 30-40 minutes at 200°C or 180°C if fan assisted.

Serve with vegetables or huge colourful salad, and enjoy!!

Per serving: 355 kcal, 45,51 g protein, 4,05 g carbs, 17,38 g fat

Photo: http://www.low-carb-tagebuch.de/hauptge ... -magd.html

WhitbyJet