WhitbyJet

Versatile breadsticks

These are delicious with soups, topped with meats. salami or pate, as a dip....

I have yet to meet anyone who doesnt enjoy eating these sticks, very versatile as well, for curries I make a round shaped bread, add garlic and spices, other times I add chives, experiment

http://www.travelinglowcarb.com/680/low ... ad-recipe/

http://www.travelinglowcarb.com/1150/lo ... d-recipes/
this is very good with curries, add the spinach or fresh coriander, a milder cheese and Indian seasonings, perfect!

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Versatile breadsticks

WhitbyJet said:

I have yet to meet anyone who doesnt enjoy eating these sticks, very versatile as well, for curries I make a round shaped bread, add garlic and spices, other times I add chives, experiment

this is very good with curries, add the spinach or fresh coriander, a milder cheese and Indian seasonings, perfect!

i agree with the breadsticks...love them....boyfriend likes them...colleagues like them....i am doing another batch tonight. Unfortunately they do not tend to last long as they are yummy.

Defren

Re: Caveman crumble

Defren said:
I made this today, I used:

200g Almond flour
250g rhubarb
100g strawberry's
20g Splenda
60g softened butter

I stewed the rhubarb in the splenda until soft, then put it and the strawberry's into an ovenproof dish. I mixed the almond flour and butter until it resembled breadcrumbs, and covered the fruit mixture. It cooked at around 180 degrees for 30-40 minutes. I ended up serving it with lashings of single cream.

While this has to be the highest carb and calorie item I have eaten since diagnosis, I can't begin to tell you how good it was. I have more rhubarb in the fridge, and I think it will be going into another crumble later in the week. :lol:

I've made this again today to use up the last of the rhubarb. I also had a glut of strawberry's, raspberry's and blueberry's that would have gone off soon, so I added 100g of each to the crumble. The carbs per portion will be slightly higher, but the taste will just rock your world. :D

WhitbyJet

I made this yesterday evening for today's birthday celebration at the office, a complete success!!

Kahlua Cheesecake with Chocolate Kahlua Sauce

Crust:
1 cup almond flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 tbsp granulated erythritol
3 tbsp butter, melted

Filling:
2 tsp instant coffee
1 tbsp hot water
2 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 tsp butter
1 lb cream cheese
2 large eggs
1/4 cup granulated erythritol
2 tbsp Kahlua or other coffee liqueur
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
25 drops stevia extract (didnt use Stevia, added Splenda instead)
2 tsp melted butter for brushing sides of pan

Sauce:
3 tbsp butter
1 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 tbsp powdered erythritol
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp Kahlua or other coffee liqueur

For the crust, preheat oven to 350F.

In a 9-inch spring-form pan, whisk together almond flour, cocoa powder, and erythritol. Stir in melted butter until dough begins to clump together. Press evenly into the bottom of the pan and bake 10 minutes. Remove and let cool.

In a small bowl, whisk together instant coffee and hot water until coffee dissolves. Set aside.

In a small saucepan, melt butter and unsweetened chocolate together over low heat, stirring until smooth. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well combined, then beat in erythritol, Kahlua, vanilla and stevia extract, scraping down beaters and sides of bowl as needed. Beat in coffee/water mixture.

Slowly add melted chocolate while continuing to beat, until fully combined. Give the batter a final stir with a rubber spatula to make sure it is fully mixed.

Preheat oven to 300F

Taking care not to disturb cooled crust, brush sides of spring-form pan with melted butter. Pour filling over cooled crust and bake until set, about 40 minutes. Remove and let cool, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours.

Serves 10. Each serving has a total of 10.5 g of carbs and 3.4 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 7.1 g
http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2012/0 ... -free.html

WhitbyJet

Baked Camembert with iceberg lettuce and creamed mushrooms

Baked Camembert with iceberg lettuce and creamed mushrooms

2 small Camembert
1 egg
either low carb breadcrumbs or chopped nuts (hazelnuts or cashews are nice)
salt, pepper
clarified butter or oil for frying

Iceberg lettuce:
1 iceberg lettuce
1 red pepper
1 tub greek yogurt or sour cream or creme fraiche
salt, freshly ground pepper, grating of
nutmeg, crushed clove of garlic,
Worcestershiresauce, sweetener,
vinegar, olive oil, bouillon powder, water, mild mustard, lime juice
1 small onion, finely chopped

Creamed mushrooms:
sliced mushrooms
double cream
butter
sautee mushrooms in butter, season with salt, pepper, dash of Worcestershiresauce, stir in double cream

Beat the egg, season with salt and pepper, plenty of pepper, dip the cheese into the egg, then in breadcrumbs or chopped nuts

Tear the lettuce leaves, make a salad dressing using the above ingredients, cut pepper into rings.

Heat oil/clarified butter in a pan, fry camembert until brown on all sides.

Mix lettuce leaves and salad dressing, place pepper rings on top, pile salad on to two plates, serve with the fried camembert and creamed mushrooms.

4.1g carbs per 100g

Attachments

• BakedCamembert.jpg
    BakedCamembert.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 3,266

tree-peony

Re: Versatile breadsticks

claymic said:
WhitbyJet said:

i agree with the breadsticks...love them....boyfriend likes them...colleagues like them....i am doing another batch tonight. Unfortunately they do not tend to last long as they are yummy.

I've just made these for the first time and they are, indeed, VERY good. Daren't add up how many calories tho!!

angua

Because the weather is so inclement - I chose yesterday to make the Meatloaf (WJ recipe p13) and it is absolutely fab, though I cut mine into 9 portions :angel: but then I have eaten 5 of them already :lol:

WhitbyJet

tree-peony & angua - I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the bread/meatloaf, thank you for the feedback.

I am forever searching for new recipes to try and post the ones that we (thats family, friends and colleagues) enjoy the most. I enjoy cooking and baking, its relaxing.

Also I want to show people that its still possible to eat all these delicious foods, I want to try and help them to not feel deprived and resentful at having to give up some of the foods that they used to eat.

All the best x x

Defren

Cinnamon muffins

One of my girls loves cinnamon and asked me if I would try to make some muffins. So, here we are, cinnamon muffins.

115g softened butter
57g Greek yogurt
57g Creme Fraiche
20g Sweetner (I used Splenda)
4 medium eggs
170g almond flour
1 tspn baking powder
2tspn Vanilla essence
5g Cinnamon powder

In one bowl add all the dry ingredients, in another all the wet and make sure both are well combined. Bit by bit add the dry mixture to the wet (I use a mixer to make sure they are well mixed). Once all the ingredients are combined, share between 12 muffin cases. Put into oven 200 degrees, for about 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.

Turn onto a wire rack to cool, then slather with loads of whipped double cream and enjoy!

WhitbyJet

The above post reminded me, I forgot to post the following recipe, cinnamon rolls - so ok they arent sticky sweet, but these are scrumptious.
Protein Cinnamon Rolls

(Makes 3 large rolls ~ 4-6 slices per roll)

Ingredients:

The Dough:

1/2 cup coconut flour
1 scoop plain or vanilla flavored protein powder
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
5 tablespoons water
Dash of salt
Sprinkle of stevia (Optional)
Filling:

2 packets stevia (Or one teaspoon honey or agave) - I used my usual sweetener, erythrtiol, works with Splenda as well
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons ground almonds (ground hazelnut works, too)
2 tablespoons water
Instructions:

Preheat your oven to 200°C (ca. 380°F) and lay out some baking paper on your kitchen counter.

For the dough:

1.) Put all the ingredients into a big bowl and mix well with a spoon. It should look like this when you’re done:
2.) Put the dough on the baking paper and roll in into a ball.
3.) Take a rolling pin and roll out the dough, it should be pretty thin. If the dough keeps getting stuck on the rolling pin, take some coconut flour and sprinkle in onto the dough and rolling pin to prevent sticking.
Now it’s time to prepare the filling!

For the filling:
1.) Put all the ingredients into a small bowl and mix well with a spoon.
3.) Put the mixture on the rolled out dough and evenly spread it out.

Making the rolls:
1.) With a knife, cut the dough with mixture on it, into 3 pieces. Roll each piece up. You can cut off all unwanted pieces from the side.
2.) Line a cookie sheet or a cooking tin with baking paper and place the cinnamon rolls on it.
3.) Put in into the oven for 20-25 minutes. The cinnamon rolls should be slightly brown on the top. Once they’re ready, take them out and let them cool for a bit.

Enjoy warm or cold. You can store them in tuber ware in the fridge or freezer. They can be re-heated in the microwave. Each cinnamon roll is under 180 calories, depending on what kind of protein powder you’re using.

http://healthifulbalance.blogspot.de/20 ... rolls.html

You can put a frosting on them, but they are yummy just the way they are.

WhitbyJet

Battered onion rings - low carb

Burgers last night, home made of course, with blue cheese and home made low carb burger buns (recipe in this thread)
and onion rings - These are so much tastier than the ones you get in restaurants!! Husband eats them instead of crisps....

Ingredients:

1 large onion
1 egg
2 Tbl coconut flour
2 Tbl grated parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp parsley flakes
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
salt to taste

1/4 cup olive oil for frying (I used dripping)

Heat the oil in a medium saute pan. Meanwhile, beat the egg in a shallow bowl. Combine the coconut flour, parmesan, garlic powder, parsley flakes, cayenne and salt in a shallow bowl. Slice up your onion to a thickness of about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch and break up the rings until you have a big pile. Add all of the onion rings to the beaten egg and mix thoroughly so they are well coated. Soak the onions in the egg for at least a minute, and then in small batches dip in the coating and then into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown and then turn with a fork or tongs to brown the other side. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to soak up any excess oil. Serve with sugar free ketchup or the sauce of your choice. Enjoy!

Well worth having a look at the website, the owner of the site has created some truly wonderful recipes, I even purchased her e-book of recipes

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/06 ... rings.html

WhitbyJet

2 more super good bread recipes

FOCACCIA

3 eggs
75g Cream Cheese
1/2 Cup Cream
2 Cups Sesame Seeds
1 tab Psyllium husks
1 tsp BP

Salt
olive oil
sea salt
rosemary
olives
grated parmesan cheese
chorizo, or sun dried toms.

heat oven to 175

grind sesame seeds in blender, add eggs cheese, cream,BP Salt, then add Psy husks.

line baking dish with baking paper, pour in batter, then sprinkle with rosemary, sea salt,parmesan, olives chorizo etc. finish with olive oil.

bake 30 minutes, cool slightly before cutting. Holds it shape very good, would be great with soup.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BREAKFAST BUNS

4 Baps:

3/4 of a cup of Almond Flour.
1 Tbsp of Flax Seeds
1 Tbsp of Sunflower Seeds
2 Tbsp of Psyllium Husk Powder
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
2 Tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Eggs
1/2 a cup of Creme Fraiche
Preheat oven to 200 ° C (390 ° F). Mix almond flour, seeds, psyllium, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Add eggs, olive oil and creme fraiche and mix it carefully. Let it sit for 5 mins.

Cut the dough into 4 pieces. Shape into balls and put in a pan on top of a baking sheet. Bake for approx. 15 mins.

Place the buns under a towel for a couple of minutes, before enjoying them with butter and cheese on top! Yummy!

Photos by TimTurtle = http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/

Attachments

• BreakfastBuns.jpg
    BreakfastBuns.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 2,447
  • focaccia.jpg
    focaccia.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 2,423
A

Anonymous

oh they look so delicious WhitbyJet..

i'll give these a try once I bulk buy ingrediants, I can see me having a huge shopping list this week lol

Sharon xx

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Those breakfast baps look ACE... :thumbup:

The Focaccia looks like modified Oopsie Roll Rcipe - but, also, ACE!!!

WhitbyJet

Patch said:
Those breakfast baps look ACE... :thumbup:

The Focaccia looks like modified Oopsie Roll Rcipe - but, also, ACE!!!

I promise you it doesnt taste anywhere near an Ooopsie Roll, I cant stand these things

Here is the Focaccia sliced to give you a better idea, its really nice with rosemary and sun dried tomatoes or garlic

Photo by Timturtle as before

Attachments

• Fslice.jpg
    Fslice.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 2,408

WhitbyJet

Low Carb Pasta without flaxseeds

Here is another low carb pasta, without flax seeds for a change. This is so worth making, if you have kids, get them to join in on the act, its fun.

Low Carb Pasta
I'm not talking about those Shrirataki noodles, which in my opinion don't even taste anything like real pasta (although they are a great substitute and I have used them a lot).

This is homemade pasta LCHF-style! It's very easy to make, but it takes a lot longer than the regular store bought pasta you throw in a pot of boiling water and it's done ;) As long as you're patient, this is definitely worth the wait! It's a perfect replacement for almost any pasta dish. I shaped mine like tagliatelle and had it with a meat and cream sauce!

3 Servings

1/2 a cup (1.25 dl) of Cream Cheese
4 Eggs
1/4 cup (0.5 dl) of Psyllium Husks Powder (usually available in your health food store)
Preheat oven to 150 ° C (300 ° F). Whisk the eggs until fluffy (approx. 5 minutes with electric egg beater). Add cream cheese and the psyllium husks powder. Whisk together. Spread the "dough" on to a parchment paper in a pan, making it square. Try to make it as thin as possible using either a spatula or a rolling pin. (The dough gets solid after a couple of minutes.)

Stick in the oven for approx. 10 minutes. Take out and cut long strips of the "pasta" using a pizza cutter. Enjoy it like regular pasta with your favourite pasta dish!

The link to original recipe and photo is here:
http://www.swedish-diet.blogspot.se/201 ... pasta.html

WhitbyJet

Scones

These are scrumptious and very quick to make

Preheat oven to 200 degrees (fan assisted), grease a patty tin

Mix together
40g coconut flour
pinch of salt
few drops vanilla essence
1/2 tbsp baking powder
4 large eggs
40g melted butter, melted but not hot
1 tsp liquid sweetener (I didnt have any so I dissolved my sweetener in some water instead)

Make sure the batter is smooth and there are no lumps

Divide the batter into the prepared patty tin or you could line a baking sheet and place the mixture in little mounds, there is enough to give you 6 scones, lightly flatten the top with the back of a spoon

Bake for 15 minutes at 200C or 20mins on 180C, the scones should be golden brown.
Leave to cool on a wire rack.
Serve with clotted cream and strawberries or low carb lemon curd or low carb berry jam (if you need recipes for these send me a PM)

Attachments

• scones.JPG
    scones.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 2,470

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I've just taken WJ's name in vain on another thread, so here is the Hairy Dieters' flour-free version of lasagne, which caused it:-

take one fat leek, cut off roots and top end;

slice through to the middle along the length of the leek;

unpeel the leaves, steam until tender but still firm; lay out on a clean teatowel to dry off a bit;

make your usual lasagne mix (meat or meat-free - I make a veggie one with ratatouille);

layer up using leeks sheets instead of pasta; make a white sauce using a little cornflower, pour over the top, finish with a very flavoury cheese (they used a mix of very strong cheddar and parmesan.

Result - a very low carb lasagne. They tried it on some unsuspecting people who didn't realise there was no pasta in it!

Viv 8)

As I said elsewhere - worthy of WhitbyJet! :wink: