mofofunk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Finger prickers for BG testing & having to self inject - NEEDLES in general!
99% Coco/Cocao

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could give me an idea what tasty treats I might be able to conjure up with some rather fine 99% coco (Lindt). I got two bars of it, 1 I have just had a piece every now and then as a treat, but I'm sure it could be used to make something really good, i just dont know what. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. As you can imagine it is REALLY REALLY strong :shock: and not for the faint hearted, its shame nowhere seems to stock it as I had to order it off the internet.

Thanks

Ash

P.S Going to try Dave's creamy parmesan cabbage, sounds so tasty!

louismum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Re: Low Carb Recipes.

Another crustless quiche

My sister got this from a magazine and I tried it yesterday, its very yummy but very rich, Nice hot or cold.

3 eggs
7 oz strong cheese...grated
1/4 pt milk
7 oz bacon
1 onion chopped
1 oz butter
seasoning (optional)

finely chop onion and chop up bacon........fry in the butter.
While they are cooking beat up eggs and milk......when beaten add grated cheese and mix all together.
Put the bacon and onions into a flan dish and top with the cheese, egg and milk mixture.

Cook at 200 degrees (electric temp) until set....20 minutes approx, may take a little longer according to oven.

This is lovely but I prefer it cold. I didn't season it as I used smoked bacon.

I am going to try making this minus the bacon as it will be like a really cheesey omelette and would be nice for when the hunger pangs strike or have some of it for breakfast; I will probably try using less cheese too.

louismum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type

I just made another crustless quiche from my recipe (above) but this time I added a few sliced mushrooms. had a piece for lunch ...delishious.

I've just thrown the following together to have for dinner tonight, never tried it but it looks nice lol

I wont state quantities ans its easily made to suit......

Large flat mushrooms
chopped chorizo sausage
chopped leeks
grated cheese of your choice

bake the mushrooms in the oven after removing the stalks, until cooked...this takes jut a few minutes
Fry the chorizo, chopped mushroom stalks and leeks in frying pan until cooked then pile on top of the mushrooms
Sprinkle grated cheese over top and put back in the oven until the cheese melts.

Will let you know my verdict later :lol:

adm

Re: 99% Coco/Cocao

mofofunk said:
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could give me an idea what tasty treats I might be able to conjure up with some rather fine 99% coco (Lindt).

Better late than never....but you could try this rather lovely chocolate mousse recipe:

Chocolate Mousse
serves 4 to 6

3 1/2 oz unsweetened chocolate (at least 70% chocolate liquor or cocoa)
3 large egg yolks
2 - 3 tbsp Splenda
5 large egg whites
3/4 cup 35 % cream

Break chocolate into pieces. In a double boiler, over low heat, place chocolate pieces and 1 tbsp water, and melt, stirring with a spatula

In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolks and half of the Splenda until frothy. Gradually add the melted chocolate, beating continuously, and set aside

In a seperate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks have formed, set aside.

In a 3rd bowl, beat cream with the rest of the splenda until cream is think.

With a spatula, gently fold cream, then egg whites, into the chocolate mixture. Transfer to 4 - 6 individual serving bowls and refrigerate 5 hours before serving

Enjoy :)

Reactions: 2 people

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Where can I get 99% cocoa chocolate???

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Patch said:
Where can I get 99% cocoa chocolate???

One source for Michel Cluizel Noir Infini 99% chocolate is The Chocolate Trading Co (Google it)

It is not for the fainthearted as it is extremely bitter. If you have never tried it before just buy a small bar about £1.85 or it could be wasted.

I like it ! :)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I do like 90% chocolate - a bar lasts me weeks! 99% sounds like it might be a bit hardcore for me, but I imagine it would be great for cooking. (Adding cream and sweetener might "tone down" the flavour a bit. I imagine you'd have to reduce the QTY used in recipes by quite a lot for cake/cheescake recipes, though...)

Thanks for the advice - I'll drop 'em a line!

anniep

I was given this recipie for gluten free chocolate cake, I have just made it with Splenda to make it low carb and eaten it with cream and it has not affected my BG.

Chocolate cake
150g dark chocolate
150g butter
6 eggs
250g caster sugar - I used 25gm of splenda
tsp vanilla essence
100g ground almonds
1tsp cinnamon and a pinch of ground cloves
2tsp instant espresso
oven 180C 23cm lined and buttered cake tin

melt butter and chocolate together
beat eggs vanilla and sugar together until double in volume
gently fold in dry ingredients and then fold in chocolate mixture

pour into tin, bake for 35-40 mins
remove from oven and cover with a tea towel until cool,
will fall a couple of inches and be gooey inside.

It didn't rise very much and I don't know if it was the way I made it or the use of splenda, but it didn't sink back down at the end and wasn't gooey in the middle.

Reactions: lorraine95

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Chocolate Tray Bake

I've been trying to find a recipe which is low carb and wheat free to satisfy my craving for cake and found this recipe deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/gluten-free-nutty-chocolate-traybake

I used 85% chocolate and walnuts instead of pecans, I also omitted the coffee and added about half a teaspoon of orange essence. It has a lovely chocolate orange flavour and is very rich, I didn't think it would be enough to split into 12 portions but you wouldn't want a larger slice.

I should imagine you could substitute the sugar for splenda or xylitol, but using 85% chocolate I worked it out to be less than 7g carb per slice.

Even my non-diabetic hubby liked it.

jaykay

One of the hardest things to give up was my lattes. I loved them! I have at last found a low carb alternative :
Spiced chai latte.

Soy milk ( whichever one you like but I use the no added sugar, light one)
Chunk of ginger root about as big as your thumb
Cardomom pods x 4
Loose leaf tea
Splenda or your sweetener.

Slice ginger into 4 chunks. Bruise the cardomom pods to open them. Throw into a saucepan with the soy milk and bring slowly to a simmer. Add a desertspoon of loose leaf tea and continue to simmer for 2 minutes. Pour through a strainer into your cup and add splenda to taste-as it's a chai, it should be quite sweet.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

cugila said:
One source for Michel Cluizel Noir Infini 99% chocolate is The Chocolate Trading Co (Google it)

It is not for the fainthearted as it is extremely bitter. If you have never tried it before just buy a small bar about £1.85 or it could be wasted.

I like it ! :)

Mmmm.....I think 99% could be a bit to bitter for my liking, 85% is about right but would like to try a small piece of 99% dark chocolate just for the experience.

Nigel

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

louiseb said:
chocalate cake

Ingredients;

50g ground golden flax seed
200g ground almonds
1 tablespoon baking powder
10 teaspoons splenda
4 tablespoons cocoa powder

5 eggs
1/3 cup melted butter
½ cup water

Method
Mix all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.

Whisk the butter and eggs together, then add water and whisk.

Add dry ingredients and whisk.

Place the mixture into a bread tin and bake at 170c for 50mins depending on your oven.

Approximately 3.5g carbs per 100g

Allow to cool and enjoy.louiseb

Thank you for posting this recipe, I love it.
I have also experimented with it for making small cakes and have been making one fifth of the recipe (makes 6 small cakes) and have so far tried batches of: dark chocolate chip, ginger, lemon essence flavour, chocolate (as per above), raisin and banana.
I bake them for about 20 mins and they don't appear to affect my levels hardly at all.
Great to be able to eat cake and change varieties often, thank you. :D
Angie

Lula

Mushroom Bhaji

Hi,

I am newly Type 2 and experimenting..this recipe doesn't send my levels up high, I hope I've got it right and it is low carb.

Mushroom Bhaji

2 large onions, thinly sliced
oil or butter for frying
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp chilli powder
1 clove garlic, chopped
375 gms mushrooms, sliced

Melt oil or butter in a pan, saute onions for 3 minutes or until tender.
Add turmeric, chilli and garlic, saute for 1 minute.
Add mushrooms, saute over low heat or until mushrooms are ready.

I made it tonight and had it with cauliflower and a couple of sausages and I was fine.

Reactions: Jo_je and Ellie-70

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Nothing wrong with that. (Sounds bl**dy lovely, actually!)

If you wanted to be super cautious, you could cook the onions a little less (or on a lower heat for longer) just to stop any caramelisation.

Browning onions can bring the sugar out out in 'em... (Same with Tomatoes).

Reactions: Peckj02

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

angieG said:
louiseb said:
chocalate cake

Ingredients;

50g ground golden flax seed
200g ground almonds
1 tablespoon baking powder
10 teaspoons splenda
4 tablespoons cocoa powder

5 eggs
1/3 cup melted butter
½ cup water

Method
Mix all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.

Whisk the butter and eggs together, then add water and whisk.

Add dry ingredients and whisk.

Place the mixture into a bread tin and bake at 170c for 50mins depending on your oven.

Approximately 3.5g carbs per 100g

Allow to cool and enjoy.louiseb

Thank you for posting this recipe, I love it.
I have also experimented with it for making small cakes and have been making one fifth of the recipe (makes 6 small cakes) and have so far tried batches of: dark chocolate chip, ginger, lemon essence flavour, chocolate (as per above), raisin and banana.
I bake them for about 20 mins and they don't appear to affect my levels hardly at all.
Great to be able to eat cake and change varieties often, thank you. :D
Angie

I made the full quantity version of this recipe using 2 large bananas instead of the cocoa and put it in a round cake tin over Easter. When cooled I sliced the cake horizontally so I had 2 layers. I then put whipped double cream in the middle and on top. Then I topped it off with grated high% chocolate and some (naughty) Cadburys mini eggs. This made a tasty gateau which I served with runny double cream poured over the portions for an Easter Sunday treat after lunch. Everyone enjoyed it and there was no significant damage to my levels in the process....lovely!! (And no I'm not on a diet since this low-carb lifestyle has made me slim already!!)
Hope this helps someone,
Regards
Angie

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
GOD. ****.

That sounds good.

(**** it - I just released some more of those "make you fat without eating anything" brain signals!!) :lol:

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Patch said:
GOD. ****.

That sounds good.

(**** it - I just released some more of those "make you fat without eating anything" brain signals!!) :lol:

It not only sounds good, I can assure you it tastes good. Better half + parents all happy to tuck in too.
I used greek yoghurt in one portion as Mum doesn't eat cream + it was declared good too!
Angie

ClaireJC

Dislikes
People who force their opinions on you without checking their facts first!
Re: Dave's creamy, parmesan cabbage!!!

Doczoc said:
Just made this up to go with the slow cooked pork belly I had for tea. I also did courgettes fried in olive oil. It was delicious, you've got to try it!!!!

I used two sweet heart cabbages, just what Aldi had in.

Take out the cores and slice them length ways, heat a large pan then add cabbage. Add a small amount of water (just enough to create some steam), cover and cook on full heat for 4 or 5 minutes, you want the cabbage wilted but with still some bite.

Take off heat, add a decent knob of butter. a glug of cream and some mustard to taste, (I did a teaspoon), mix thoroughly and put back on the heat, grate some fresh Parmesan on, as much as you want, salt and pepper to taste.

Delicious, I could have ate a mountain of it!

Just need to come up with a low carb sauce to cut through the belly pork fat, needed something sweet and acidic. Although the Sauvignon Blanc did a good job at doing that LOL

You could even add some pancetta or streaky bacon to the cabbage for a low carb carbonara!

Hope you give it a go.

I just played with this - used spring greens that I cut into strips, 150 ml double cream, French mustard (1tblspn), onion rings and king prawns. Added a splash of White wine to make it a bit more runny. It was delicious, 0.9 units for a third of it meant I was 7.3 an hour after eating. Hubby and son liked it, too!

Negligible carbs and only about 400 or so calories per portion, if you're counting :p

Reactions: AliceT

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
Crispy Cauliflower

1 cauliflower
2 tbsp olive oil
Grainy mustard
Grated parmesan or strong cheddar cheese

Break up the cauliflower into florets, put mustard on each floret then drizzle with Olive Oil. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Roast for 35 minutes.

Lula

Ok, I am still fairly new to low carbing, so will you tell me if any recipes I post aren't low carb?? Experimenting a lot with food and want to share the results!

Peanut Chicken Stir Fry

Large dollop Whole Earth peanut butter
splash of soy sauce
chicken breast cut into strips
handful of mushrooms
half thinly sliced green cabbage
slice of turkey bacon (optional)

Either marinade the chicken overnight in the peanut butter and soy sauce, or forget to do that :oops: and put it all in the pan. Fry the chicken until cooked, add soy and peanut butter, then the rest of the ingredients and stir fry until cooked. The peanut butter sauce should be sticking to everything. Eat whilst hot. You could use any veg for this really but cabbage and mushroom work well.

Reactions: 4 people