douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Claire and Douglas,

Thanks for taking the time too look into the beans question. If it helps, I got an app called "Low carb diet assistant". For haricot beans is reckons,

Beans, navy, mature seeds, canned 100g - net carbs 15.4g (20.4g total carb - 5g fibre)

Glad I could help straighten it out.

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
Hi Claire,

Thanks for taking the time too look into the beans question. If it helps, I got an app called "Low carb diet assistant". For haricot beans is reckons,

Beans, navy, mature seeds, canned 100g - net carbs 15.4g (20.4g total carb - 5g fibre)

I prefer using the labels because carbs vary on brand (I've no idea why). It's definitely the labels that's the clear answer because they're governed by law.

Some nutrition labels (probably US-based ones) list dietary fibre inside the carb. In those cases you can minus the fibre from the total carbs. In others (probably UK-based) the fibre is listed as a separate entity. In that case, the fibre has has no effect on the total carb count, the carbs are accurate on the label in that case.

Here's an example:

US Nutrition: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...l.svg/202px-US_Nutritional_Fact_Label.svg.png
As you can see, the Dietary Fibre is listed inside the Carbs. That means it can be taken off the total for a 'net' number. If the fibre is added to the carbs, you can take it off for a 'net carb' total.

The UK label is different in 'some' cases, but not all. Most UK labels list the fibre as a separate entity, meaning that it's not added to the carbs in the first place. I think the label you get depends on where the food is produced, so that's the something to watch out for. Only minus off the 'dietary fibre' inside the carb section.

From what I've read, beans are a slow burning carb that won't spike your blood sugar, however you still need to count the carbs on a low carb diet. That being said, I'm still having my enchiladas. The recipe can easily make 10 enchilladas. A can of Haricot beans from Tesco: http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=262167712 , has 21.2g carbs. Three bean salad has 26g carbs. Even with 3g per tortilla, that's only 8g per enchiladas, depending on what sauces you use. It's fine for a low carb diet, especially if you use a lot of cheese, meat, sauces etc for fats. :)

On opinions, though. I'd take them with a pinch of salt. The books will give you more accurate information from qualified experts, which I certainly don't claim to be. :).

Hopefully, this is useful, but yes, it isn't expert advice :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I prefer using the labels because carbs vary on brand (I've no idea why). It's definitely the labels that's the clear answer because they're governed by law.

Some nutrition labels (probably US-based ones) list dietary fibre inside the carb. In those cases you can minus the fibre from the total carbs. In others (probably UK-based) the fibre is listed as a separate entity. In that case, the fibre has has no effect on the total carb count, the carbs are accurate on the label in that case.

Here's an example:

US Nutrition: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...l.svg/202px-US_Nutritional_Fact_Label.svg.png
As you can see, the Dietary Fibre is listed inside the Carbs. That means it can be taken off the total for a 'net' number. If the fibre is added to the carbs, you can take it off for a 'net carb' total.

The UK label is different in 'some' cases, but not all. Most UK labels list the fibre as a separate entity, meaning that it's not added to the carbs in the first place. I think the label you get depends on where the food is produced, so that's the something to watch out for. Only minus off the 'dietary fibre' inside the carb section.

From what I've read, beans are a slow burning carb that won't spike your blood sugar, however you still need to count the carbs on a low carb diet. That being said, I'm still having my enchiladas. The recipe can easily make 10 enchilladas. A can of Haricot beans from Tesco: http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=262167712 , has 21.2g carbs. Three bean salad has 26g carbs. Even with 3g per tortilla, that's only 8g per enchiladas, depending on what sauces you use. It's fine for a low carb diet, especially if you use a lot of cheese, meat, sauces etc for fats. :)

On opinions, though. I'd take them with a pinch of salt. The books will give you more accurate information from qualified experts, which I certainly don't claim to be. I've noticed there are some 'low carb haters on these forums, and I've picked one up as a stalker, so be wary of the opinion you listen to. Stick with an expert, rather than someone with a fake name on a forum for advice :).

Hopefully, this is useful, but yes, it isn't expert advice :).

Hi Claire

I am happy that I can eat 1/4 tin of beans without spiking so that's good enough for me to be going on with :) Will keep testing different foods and see how it goes. I am in no hurry. Once my bg has been stable for a while, I will move on to apples. Would hate to have to avoid apples as I have two big trees!

A stalker? That just proves that you are not flying under the radar and that people are reading your interesting posts and blog. Hope it does not upset you.

Perhaps you could help me with a question please. I made pancakes yesterday for breakfast from this recipe

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html

They were very pancakey! :woot: Great texture and low carb. Some people were suggesting making a savoury version. For the sweet version stated, I used Truvia, but found I had that horrible metallic teeth taste afterwards IYKWIM. Could you recommend a sugar replacement that does not leave an aftertaste?

Reactions: 2 people

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi Avocado Sevenfold, thanks for the pancake recipe, I shall definatly try it but I do quite fancy trying a savoury version, have you tried one?, Deb

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Claire

I am happy that I can eat 1/4 tin of beans without spiking so that's good enough for me to be going on with :) Will keep testing different foods and see how it goes. I am in no hurry. Once my bg has been stable for a while, I will move on to apples. Would hate to have to avoid apples as I have two big trees!

A stalker? That just proves that you are not flying under the radar and that people are reading your interesting posts and blog. Hope it does not upset you.

Perhaps you could help me with a question please. I made pancakes yesterday for breakfast from this recipe

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html

They were very pancakey! :woot: Great texture and low carb. Some people were suggesting making a savoury version. For the sweet version stated, I used Truvia, but found I had that horrible metallic teeth taste afterwards IYKWIM. Could you recommend a sugar replacement that does not leave an aftertaste?

Have you tried LIDL's own brand. I can't remember what it is, but it cooks well, and I haven't found the taste too bad. I don't use much sweetener though, so it's been a while.

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Have you tried LIDL's own brand. I can't remember what it is, but it cooks well, and I haven't found the taste too bad. I don't use much sweetener though, so it's been a while.

Thanks Douglas, I will have to see if I can get hold of some fakey sugar from Lidl. We are on the Aldi side of town, but will make an effort to find Lidl.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Avocado Sevenfold, thanks for the pancake recipe, I shall definatly try it but I do quite fancy trying a savoury version, have you tried one?, Deb

Hi Deb

I haven't tried making savoury pancakes yet. I am thinking that if I could perfect making thin savoury crepes, I could maybe make pretend cannelloni...mmm....spinach and ricotta rolled up in crepes in a herby tomato sauce topped with cheese. I will let you know if it ever happens!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I made a pasta type substitute recently,

Pasta, mixture of Bulgar wheat, quinoa, and a couple of small squashes from my summer crop.
All prepared until soft, them blended with a couple of eggs, and a couple of desert spoonfuls of low fat phili.
I don't measure the quantity, just cook by appearances. So enough to give a reasonable consistency, and two baking sheets full.
Cooked in the oven until firmish

It made in a really tasty lasagne, pasta was like a wholemeal, but texture was very slightly like it had been aerated, possibly the contrast in the three ingredients was a little too extreme between the hard and the soft. Also the pasta didn't soak up the liquid from the cheese sauce like normal pasta, so it suffered a bit of landslip during serving.

It might work, I think I will try it myself as a cannelloni...

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Here is a tried and tested low carb cheese sauce recipe:

120ml / 4 fl oz vegetable stock
100g / 3.5 oz cream cheese
50g / 2 oz grated mature, tangy cheese
0.5 tsp mustard powder
0.5 tsp dried thyme

Bring the stock to a boil in a frying pan.
Add the cream cheese, breaking it up with a whisk.
Whisk until smooth and melted.

Add the grated cheese, mustard and thyme.
Whisk until the cheese has melted and the sauce is thick.
Serve immediately.

Serves 4

Per serving: carbs 0.4g, fat 16g, cals 165

I used a stock cube, philadelphia and cheddar. Less mustard cos I'm a wimp and added black pepper. The stock tastes quite salty so don't add any salt.

It is so quick and easy to make. Served mine with broccoli, red pepper, mushrooms and a few cashews. Or you could just dip stuff in it like you're at a retro fondue party! :hungry:

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I made a pasta type substitute recently,

Pasta, mixture of Bulgar wheat, quinoa, and a couple of small squashes from my summer crop.
All prepared until soft, them blended with a couple of eggs, and a couple of desert spoonfuls of low fat phili.
I don't measure the quantity, just cook by appearances. So enough to give a reasonable consistency, and two baking sheets full.
Cooked in the oven until firmish

It made in a really tasty lasagne, pasta was like a wholemeal, but texture was very slightly like it had been aerated, possibly the contrast in the three ingredients was a little too extreme between the hard and the soft. Also the pasta didn't soak up the liquid from the cheese sauce like normal pasta, so it suffered a bit of landslip during serving.

It might work, I think I will try it myself as a cannelloni...

Do you have rough quantities and I will add it to my folder? I am thinking of growing spaghetti squash this year and pretending it's spaghetti lol. Never grown it or eaten it, but it looks good. I was in courgette hell last summer.. I couldn't eat them or give them away fast enough! :eek:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Do you have rough quantities and I will add it to my folder? I am thinking of growing spaghetti squash this year and pretending it's spaghetti lol. Never grown it or eaten it, but it looks good. I was in courgette hell last summer.. I couldn't eat them or give them away fast enough! :eek:

I had an amazing crop of squashes this year.
It was from a packet of mixed squashes from Lidl, (maybe Aldi, but fairly sure it was Lidl),

I picked everything at the end of summer, the small unripe soft ones I just boiled for soup, whole, blended then sieved, spaghetti squashes were good, others in stews, slices in baked dishes etc,
I still have a basket full in the kitchen.

As to the pasta, I boiled a couple of small squashes, (split, seeds scooped out) until they were soft, then scooped the flesh into a bowl.
Added a couple of eggs, and a couple of desert spoonfuls of phili.
I then added equal amounts of bulgar wheat and quinoa,, prepared beforehand, until it was a fairly firm, but still runny mix.
I usually make a meal sized batch of each, really just pour it into the pan for myself until it looks like it'll feed me.
So twice as much as I'd eatin one go really, with the two types together.
Pour the mix onto a parchment on a baking sheet, (made two sheets worth), and bake until firm. Leave to cool, then the parchment peeled of the back, leaving a flexible, (tearable) sheet.

Sorry that's the best I can do really, as I rarely measure or weigh anything.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
lime cake male forum.jpg

Ive made a new cake. Coconut and Lime, really nice :). Recipe http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/2014/01/coconut-and-lime-cake.html

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Chocolate Brownie Mug Cake (Low Carb & Gluten Free)

Yield: 2 servings

Warm and comforting, this is the quickest way to low carb brownie bliss there is!

Ingredients

• 2 Tbsp butter
  • 3 Tbsp almond flour
  • 1 tsp coconut flour
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp granulated sugar substitute
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 square Lindt 90% chocolate, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp pecans, chopped (optional)
Instructions

• Melt the butter in a small microwave safe bowl (about 30 seconds in microwave). Add the remaining ingredients and stir until combined. Pour batter into 2 small greased mugs or ramekins. Microwave for 1 minute. (add another 30 seconds if necessary). Serve with whipped cream or sugar free vanilla ice cream.

Approximate nutrition info per mug: 230 calories, 23g fat, 3g net carbs, 6g protein

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2013/05/chocolate-brownie-mug-cake-low-carb-gluten-free.html

Reactions: 8 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

LENTIL & MUSHROOM LOAF

I have been missing lentils, so adapted this old recipe to make it less carby. Subbed a lot of the lentils for a courgette and it still held together.

80g dried green lentils
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
250g mushrooms, chopped
1 decent sized courgette, chopped
120g mature cheddar, grated
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp marmite
0.25 tsp dried mustard powder
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
salt and black pepper

Pre heat oven to 200.
Boil lentils for about 20 minutes then drain.
Fry onion and garlic then add mushrooms and courgette and cook them too.
Remove from heat.
Add everything else and mix well.

Bake in a 2lb loaf tin for about 30 minutes. Let it stand for a few minutes before turning it out.

Serve with salad or cauli mash :hungry:

Can be frozen in portions and can be microwaved to reheat.

Serves 4. Approx 12g of carbs per portion.

Last edited:
L

Luna21

I've been looking at some of the recipes again, but scrolling through so many pages is a bit tiresome and time consuming. I wonder if the Mods/Admin have ever thought of putting together a recipe book of the most favourite recipes? Even a download would be handy, but a book to buy, would be even better.:happy:
I usually try and copy the recipes I like when I see them, but sometimes I just don't have time. There are such great ideas it seems such a pity that more people, ie not members of this forum, aren't aware of them.

Reactions: 3 people