Lula

and another...

Cheesy Cauliflower and Bacon
I small cauliflower
2 rashers of bacon, cut into strips
handful of shredded dark green cabbage
teaspoon English mustard
Grated cheddar cheese

Boil or steam the cauli unti cooked but still slightly firm, then drain. Meanwhile, fry the bacon and cabbage, then when cooked tip into the cauli and mix it up with the mustard. Put it all into a shallow dish, cover in grated cheese and grill until crispy.

sparkles

Bhuna Fish Steaks]

(for a cheap version of this I used tesco value 4 pk of cod in butter sauce. I opened the pks while semi frozen and scraped off the butter sauce into a pan. Later I added herbs to this and used the mix as a topping for steamed cauliflower. I also made a stirfry of chinese veg, ginger,garlic and peppers to accompany. (there are two of us so 2 steaks are saved and half the marinade and uncooked but prepared stirfy -easy tea tomorrow makes up for the extra prep time tonigh!)

4 cod steaks 150gm/ 51/2 oz each.
1 tbsp olive oil
For the marinade:
1 inch freshly ground ginger root grated
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp garam masala
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp mustard powder
1 Tblsn lemon juice
1 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper.
1. Mis the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl with a tablespoon of hot water to make a paste.
2.cover the fish steaks both sides with the marinade paste and stand for 15 mins.
3. Line a grill pan with foil and coat with a little oil
4/ preheat grill
5.drizzle half the oil over the fish steaks and grill for 6 mins.
6.turn steaks over drizzle the remaining oil over them and grill a further 5 mins.
7.serve with rice or naan bread and curried vegetables.

SPARKLES

sparkles

Smoked fish pate
Serves 4

1 smoked makeral fillet
1 smoked trout
125gm 4 ½ oz smoked salmon bits
Juice of half a lemon
125gm 4 ½ oz low fat soft cheese eg philidelphea
¼ tsp nutmeg
Salt and pepper
Garnish with watercress and lemon wedges.

Remove fish skins.
Place in a bowl and add the smoked salmon bits. Mash with a fork.
Add lemon juice and soft cheese nutmeg salt and pepper.
Put in terrine and chill for at least an hour.

Contains only a trace of carbohydrate.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I saw something similar to this on Jamie Oliver at the weekend. I'll definitely be giving it a try...

sparkles

Grilled Mackerel
Serves four

4 whole mackerel
2tsp ginger paste
2 tsp garlic paste
2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp turmeric powder
2tsp lemon juice
Salt

Mix spices with the lemon juice and marinate the fish
Refrigerate for 45 mins
Preheat oven to 190* C. Gas mark 5
Put mackerel in baking dish and cook for 45mins.
Serve with natural yoghurt and vegetables.

SPARKLES

sparkles

Marinated Salmon ( 3 gm carbohydrate.)

4 salmon fillets
15ml /1tbsp honey
15ml /1tbsp soy sauce
2.5 cm /1inch ginger root finely chopped
1 clove garlic chopped.

Mix honey soy sauce ginger and garlic tog to make the marinade.
Put salmon in a dish and cover with marinade and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
Preheat grill to medium setting and place salmon fillets on baking reay and grill untill cooked turning once.
Serve with vegetables.
sparkles

sparkles

Egg Biryani serves 4

(30 gm carbohydrate per serving.)

15 ml / 1tbsp olive oil
6 black peppercorns
2 green cardamons
5 cm / 2 inch cinnamon stick
1tsp cumin seeds
2 bay leaves
1 medium onion sliced
2 cloves garlic
1 cm /½ inch root ginger
1 green chilli pepper chopped
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp salt
200gm/7 oz basmati rice
400ml /14 fl oz water
4 eggs hard boiled
Corriander leaves to garnish.

Heat the oil in a non stick pan. Add the peppercorns, cardamon, cinnamon, cumin and bay leaves and fry for 1 min. Then reduce the heat.
Add sliced onion ,garlic, ginger and green chilli: fry until golden brown.
Add the red chilli powder corriander powder, garam masala and salt.
Add the rice and water, stir well and cover and cook for 20 mins on medium heat.
Meanwhile slice the hard boiled eggs and arrange round the edge of a serving dish.
Place rice in middle of dish and garnish with corriander.

sparkles

Last one!!!!

I like the look of this easy dessert

Fruit flavoured Mousse

1 sachet of sugar free jelly crystals any flavour but citrus adds zing!
250gm tub of fromage frais.

Make up the jelly using hot water but use only half the amount on the instructions.
Stir till the jelly crystals dissolved.
Top the jelly liquid up with very cold water to the ½ pt mark in a jug.
Pour jelly liquid into a bowl and stir in the fromage frais until well mixed.
Transfer into a bowl or into 4 ind sundae dishes and put in fridge for an hour or so until set.
Serve alone or topped with fresh fruit

Reactions: 2 people

sparkles

fried Mushrooms in horseradish sauce

just invented this tonight
... well I liked it. -Very easy.

I fried a whole pack of mushrooms 250gm at a guess - but only used half tonight and kept half of
the fried mushrooms back to microwave tomorrow night.
(without sauce which I'll quickly mix tomorrow.)

I mixed 2 Tablespoons of Sour cream with
1 tsp of good quality horseradish.
and mixed the fried mushrooms into it.

(I think its low carb. my horseradish was 70+% and there was some sugar in it but I dont think very much.)

sparkles

BASIC FLAX CRACKER RECIPE

The basic recipe is essentially just ground flaxseed and water – from there the flavors are up to you. I did a bit of a garlic and onion thing for this recipe, but it would also be great with italian herbs, some nutritional yeast to give it a more “cheesy” flavory, some mexican spices, you name it.
The dough is really easy to work with as well. As I mentioned, you just mix up water, ground flax, some salt and some spices, and then spread it out on a parchment or silicone lined cookie sheet (you do want to make sure it’s lined or really well greased), pre-cut them so they will snap into nice square crackers once they are cooked, and bake for about 20 minutes. I didn’t even have a rolling pin handy and was able to roll the dough pretty thin with just my hands (make sure you keep your hands wet if you do it this way).

Flax Crackers
(Vegan, Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free, Low Fat, Soy Free)

This recipe is for a garlic and onion flavored cracker – to make it with different seasonings omit the garlic and onion powder and use whatever sounds good – nutritional yeast, rosemary, herbs, chili powder, etc.
Ingredients:
2 cups ground flaxseed (you can buy it pre-ground or grind whole seeds in a coffee grinder)
1 cup water (start with 3/4 c. and add more as needed to make a workable dough)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix until an even dough forms. Spread evenly onto a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet – about 1/8-1/4 inch thick. Gently cut dough into squares on the baking sheet (you just need to score the dough so it snaps after it’s baked – be careful not to cut up your silicone mat or cookie sheet!) Bake for 20-30 minutes until crisp and edges are browned but not burnt.

Reactions: 2 people

sparkles

Well I'm really not too sure how suitable this recipe will be from a diabetic's point of view. But I love elderflower cordial and up here in the north the elderflowers are out right now so the time is ripe as well as the flowers..

I chose this recipe off the net because it has half as much sugar as the other ones I found. And then dont forget its a cordial so it will be diluted. I really have no idea if this is too much sugar 1kg in 1 1/2 litres water. Well I am going to make it anyway because its virtually free, delicious and non diabetic friends and family can always use it.

Fiona’s traditional elderflower cordial recipe
Ingredients:
1.5 litres of boiling water
1 kilo of white granulated sugar
20 large elderflower heads (if they are small, pick more)
4 lemons
55g of citric acid
Method:
In a Pyrex bowl (or deep saucepan) pour the boiling water onto the sugar and stir. Leave to cool, stirring every now and then to dissolve the sugar.
When cool add the citric acid, the lemons (zested and sliced) and the elderflower heads.
Leave to steep for 48 hours.
Strain twice through sterilised muslin (how do I sterilise muslin? See Tips and tricks below)
Using a jug and funnel carefully pour into hot sterilised bottles (how do I sterilise bottles? See Tips and tricks below)
Tips and tricks:
How do I sterilise a jelly bag or muslin square?
Both can be scalded with boiling water. If you are using a clean muslin bag or square you can iron them with a hot iron. This also works with tea cloths.
How do I sterilise bottles?
The sterilising method that we used is simple. Just before making the syrup, I quickly wash and rinse the bottles and place them upside down in a cold oven. Set the temperature to 160c (140c fan-assisted). When the oven has reached the right temperature I turn off the heat. The bottles will stay warm for quite a while. Sterilise the lids by boiling these for a few minutes in water.

sparkles

sparkles

Hi

I forgot to mention the elderflower cordial can be frozen so you can get a year round supply. I have been and picked my flowerheads this morning but silly me I didnt have any citric acid in the house. Never mind.. I read on the net that the cordial will last 3-4 weeks in the fridge without the citric acid as preservative. I expect I will get through it in that time especially if I freeze half of it. The cordial can be used as a topping on dessets as well as diluted to make drinks.
Sparkles.
just got quite a lot of sugar so must dilute it really well..

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Karen's Stuffed Swedes

Karen’s Stuffed Swedes

1Onion
8 Small Swedes
700g Mince
3 Eggs
3 tbsp fresh chopped Parsley
pinch of ground Nutmeg
salt and pepper
2 tbsp Butter, melted
200ml good Stock (Marigold is good)
120ml Double Cream

Peel, trim and wash swedes, place in microwave for 10 minutes (15 if using larger swedes), let them cool slightly, cut off a lid and scoop out the centre. (keep the flesh to make mash or add to soups, or freeze till you need it; alternatively chop/grate finely, stir in with the stock)

Mix together the mince, finely chopped onion, parsley and eggs, season well with salt, pepper and nutmeg, pack this mixture tightly inside the swedes, place little lids on top.

Place into a baking dish, drizzle with the melted butter, pour the stock into the base of the pan, cover and bake at 200C for 40minutes, stir in double cream and bake uncovered for a further 5 - 10 minutes.

Enjoy!

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Wiflib's Ice Cream/ Frozen Yoghourt

You will need (apart from patience)

A blender that can crush ice.
Cream or yoghurt.
Frozen berries. Choose small strawberries, the big 'uns can break a blender, please don't ask how I
know. Tonight I used some frozen mixed berries.
Sweetener of choice.

Place equal amounts of cream and frozen fruit in blender, add sweetener to taste and whizz. It turns into the best tasting ice cream I have had for many a year. I managed to not eat all of the disgustingly large amount I made tonight and put some in the freezer. I'll let you know how solid it goes.

I've just had a thought. Whizzed up frozen fruit and a bit of ice would make a fab dessert. Would make great lollies too.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Jahusba's Microwave Flax Roll/Muffin

.. the closest thing to a doorstop sarnie I've had for ages. On Youtube,found an Atkins induction friendly flax bread recipe that you make in the microwave. Doubled the recipe, cooked in a microwave saucepan, in just 4 minutes it rose up into what looked like a huge muffin(not the cake sort)Split in...

Second attempt wasn't quite as good, didn't mix it well enough so ended up with pieces of 'omelette' in it.

In a flat bottomed bowl (ramekin shape but bit bigger, used a mug today) melt 1 tbsp of butter, mix in 2 tbsp of ground flax,1 egg and 1/2 tsp of baking powder. MIX WELL. Cook for 2 minutes in microwave, should be dry on top when cooked.
I doubled quantities and cooked for 4 minutes and made a lovely huge 'bap/muffin'.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Marmot's Scotch Eggs

Forgive me if anyone has already thought of this, but these were truly delicious - even 17 year old asked for more!
You need - hard boiled eggs, good quality low carb sausages/meat, extra egg, lots of finely grated parmesan and ground almonds, seasoning and optional herbs/spices of your choice, oil.
I decided last week to make some pre-dinner party nibbles with a difference, another diabetic in attendance who used to love scotch eggs but no longer due to breadcrumb coating. I used quails' eggs but I am going to repeat this weekend with hens' eggs. Hardboil and shell eggs. Skin your favourite low carb sausages, 450g coated 13 quails' eggs. Wet hands and cover thinly but evenly in sausage meat - you could add herbs or spices if you wish to sausage meat to add further interest. Beat an egg, dip coated eggs in it and then dip in a mixture of parmesan and ground almonds, I did not measure just mixed roughly half and half. I repeated this stage for some but then ran out off almonds so some were only coated once but seemed ok - no complaints. Deep fry for 2-3 minutes in oil of your choice, then remove from oil and bake in a hot oven for a further 2-3 mins. Drain on kitchen paper. God served at room temperature but were equally good the next day after being in fridge. Absolutely delicious, coating isn't crispy but tastes great, much more flavour than ordinary scotch eggs, non-diabetics were fighting over them! I am going to make some large ones this weekend as they will make a great snack or lunchbox filler with salad etc. Just under 1 carb per quail's egg. Large ones shouldn't be hugely more, better than 30-40 carbs my friend said were in commercial ones! I am going to try coating on other items - I used to make a mean chicken kiev which this should be ok with.

I have refined this and now shallow fry in dripping just to seal coating for a minute or two, then finish off for about 15 mins in oven, 5 mins for quails' eggs. Roll on kitchen paper to absorb any excess fat then enjoy, hot or cold!

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Karen's Swiss Mushrooms

Ingredients:
350g fresh mushrooms
1 small chopped onion
1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
fresh chives or any other herb you fancy, finely chopped
butter
1small carton double cream
1 large egg
2 large egg yolks
250g grated Emmenthal cheese, at a pinch you could substitute Jarlsberg or Leerdamer
Paprika powder or Cayenne pepper - a generous pinch
Salt, pepper

Preheat oven to 325°F/Gas mark 3/165C and grease casserole dish with butter.

Saute mushrooms and onion in butter, add the herbs and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, season with salt and fresh ground pepper.

Mix the cream, egg and the egg yolks, season with salt and pepper and paprika/cayenne.

Sprinkle the cheese all over the bottom of the casserole, place the mushroom mixture on top, then pour the cream and egg mixture over.

Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.

I worked this out at around 8 carbs.

It’s delicious, served with a salad of your choice, I had it with gem lettuce and some leftover coleslaw.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Best Basic Low Carb Cheesecake

From Marmot

Base

150-200g ground almonds
50-75g butter

Filling:

570g cream cheese
100g zsweet (original recipe I adapted from said 180g caster sugar, you can add more or less according to personal taste)
1 tbsp cornflour
4 large eggs, beaten
380ml sour cream (I just add a squirt of lemon juice to double cream)

Method

1. Cover the outside of the cake tin with a double layer of foil, moulding it to the tin, but being careful not to puncture it so it remains watertight.

2. Line the base of a 25cm springform cake tin with the baking parchment.

3. Preheat the oven to 180C (350F) Gas 4.

Mix almonds with enough melted butter to gently bind – minimum possible, you don’t want a paste, just so you can press it on base of tin to make a crust, almonds have lots of oil, too much butter and it will leech out. Almond amounts loose depends on how thick you like your base, for me I don’t want it too thick.
4. Spoon the base into the prepared tin and press down to form an even layer. Bake in the preheated oven for 5-10 minutes, then let cool.
5. To make the filling, put the cream cheese and sweetener in a large bowl and beat until smooth. Beat in the cornflour, followed by the eggs in about 4 batches. When smooth, beat in the sour cream. Pour the mixture over the crumb base. Set the cake tin in a roasting tin and pour very hot water into the roasting tin to come just over half-way up the sides of the cake tin.
6. Transfer the tins to the oven and bake, at the same temperature, for 45-50 minutes or until the cheesecake is just set in the centre, if necessary leave in another few minutes but in my oven 50 mins is max.
7. Remove the cheesecake from its water bath, let cool on a wire rack, then chill, preferably overnight, before removing the foil and unmolding the cheesecake. You can make early on the day you wish to serve it but it needs several hours to cool and chill.
8. Serve at room temperature.

Variations

1. Add 2 tsps ground ginger to almonds before adding butter, then serve with rhubarb and ginger compote made with rhubarb stewed with ginger and sweetener, or even better roasted with ginger and sweetener.
2. Add zest of 2 unwaxed lemons to cheesecake mix when you add sour cream.
3. Serve topped with berries or a berry compote
4. Enjoy with whatever your bs allows!