timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Hi @timerich,

The low carb megastore sells various flavours of Da Vinci syrups for around £6. They also stock other brands of syrup which are cheaper than the Da Vinci ones. I can't recommend the Walden Farms syrups I'm afraid. I've bought their chocolate Syrup & strawberry jam...both of which went straight in the bin. I know lots of coffee shops use Da Vinci syrups...both the normal & sugar free varieties. So, I reckon they must be pretty good quality.

I didn't know there was a low carb megastore...is it online?
Ali. X

Reactions: 2 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!

Hi @timerich

Yes, the low carb megastore is an online business. Just google the name & the site will show up in the search results. I'm unable to give you the web address as it's against forum rules. Hope you find what you're looking for.
Ali. X

Reactions: 3 people

Venta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Way too many for this little box, and probably irrelevant
Hi all. Some fab recipes here - I'm trying to find ways of saving some of them to my iPad so I can give them a try.
What I'm really looking for though, is a tasty recipe for low carb rich brown gravy! I've tried various low carb thickening agents with mixed results. Thought I'd ask here as you're all clearly experts!

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Some fab recipes here - I'm trying to find ways of saving some of them to my iPad so I can give them a try.

Venta
Only way I can do it, is to open them in Safari, then save as a "Bookmark", if someone else knows, pls let me know

Venta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yea Wildrover, but I have lots of bookmarks, so I've gone a bit complicated. I take a screen shot of a recipe, then email it to myself, then I've made a folder to keep them in under mailboxes.
I'm sure there are better ways, but that works for me.

S

Sable_Jan

Yea Wildrover, but I have lots of bookmarks, so I've gone a bit complicated. I take a screen shot of a recipe, then email it to myself, then I've made a folder to keep them in under mailboxes.
I copy and paste into a text document, which is getting quite large now, then when I want to.make one I copy the text to its own text document and print it off..... We're I using a Word or other processor I could just highlight and print but notepad doesn't let me do that ....

Venta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I don't have Word on my iPad mini. I can do all that on my Mac, but I don't want to print, I like taking my little iPad into the kitchen - it's my cookbook!

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Never thought of that, Doh!! Good one

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've often seen mention of low carb granola recipes and yesterday when looking for something entirely unrelated, I found a recipe for a low sugar granola I must have saved some time ago, which these days would still be too high carb as it was based on oats and dried fruit, but it used a method that I thought might be interesting. So I'm posting about the technique as such, rather than a specific recipe.

I have been trying 9bars as a possible food to put in a pocket whilst out walking and we're going on holiday soon so tried some to see how I was with them as I have a lot of food sensitivites. I wondered if this technique might work for making my own version of a seeded and nutty 'energy' bar. It works, but doesn't hold together into a bar well enough, but does make a nice granola style crunch, I've just popped a handful into Greek yogurt and it was very nice.

The technique is to use 300ml of cloudy apple juice (33g carbs on top of your chosen dry ingredients) and you put it in a pan and bring it to the boil and leave it simmering until about 30% of the original volume. It said it should be thick and sticky at this point, but mine just looked darker and not especially any thicker. I mixed up a batch of my chosen dry ingredients - mine weighed abut 250g in the end. The original recipe was for 170g, but as there was a lot of oats, I suspected they would soak up the juice and my ingredients wouldn't.

I mixed sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, pine nuts, dessicated coconut, flaked almonds, chopped pecans, golden flax seeds and salted peanuts - one of the 9bars uses these and I thought they'd add bulk with minimal carbs, I wiped much of the salt off with a paper towel. I chopped some of the larger ingredients and left some whole as I wanted different sized pieces, hoping it would press into a bar better.

What I would suggest is to add the reduced apple juice a little at a time to your chosen dry ingredients and mix until they're all coated - you don't want any additional liquid running loose, mine was too wet and took a while to cook off. Spread it out onto a large baking tray and bake in the oven - I did it at Reg 4 (180C) and after an initial 10 minutes, in 5 minute batches, taking it out and turning it and retuning it until it looked dry, golden and clumping together.

The batch I made worked out at 70g carbs for the entire tray (I estimate about 265g in weight, my husband ate some before I had chance to weigh the cooked batch), which if you put 20g into some yogurt would add about 5.2g carbs. It's possibly too rich like this as a dish in itself, but as a topping or accompaniment is quite decadent. It's quite protein rich too - but that was what I wanted initially.

There are many recipes with alternative sweeteners and coconut oil etc, but for those of us who don't eat sweeteners. it's an alternative method to add some sweetness to a dish. I was hoping that if it made a suitable bar it might be a little lower carbs than the 9bars, but it's in the same ballpark, at 13g for a 50g serving.

29114_locarbfood.jpg

Reactions: 7 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I've often seen mention of low carb granola recipes and yesterday when looking for something entirely unrelated, I found a recipe for a low sugar granola I must have saved some time ago, which these days would still be too high carb as it was based on oats and dried fruit, but it used a method that I thought might be interesting. So I'm posting about the technique as such, rather than a specific recipe.

I have been trying 9bars as a possible food to put in a pocket whilst out walking and we're going on holiday soon so tried some to see how I was with them as I have a lot of food sensitivites. I wondered if this technique might work for making my own version of a seeded and nutty 'energy' bar. It works, but doesn't hold together into a bar well enough, but does make a nice granola style crunch, I've just popped a handful into Greek yogurt and it was very nice.

The technique is to use 300ml of cloudy apple juice (33g carbs on top of your chosen dry ingredients) and you put it in a pan and bring it to the boil and leave it simmering until about 30% of the original volume. It said it should be thick and sticky at this point, but mine just looked darker and not especially any thicker. I mixed up a batch of my chosen dry ingredients - mine weighed abut 250g in the end. The original recipe was for 170g, but as there was a lot of oats, I suspected they would soak up the juice and my ingredients wouldn't.

I mixed sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, pine nuts, dessicated coconut, flaked almonds, chopped pecans, golden flax seeds and salted peanuts - one of the 9bars uses these and I thought they'd add bulk with minimal carbs, I wiped much of the salt off with a paper towel. I chopped some of the larger ingredients and left some whole as I wanted different sized pieces, hoping it would press into a bar better.

What I would suggest is to add the reduced apple juice a little at a time to your chosen dry ingredients and mix until they're all coated - you don't want any additional liquid running loose, mine was too wet and took a while to cook off. Spread it out onto a large baking tray and bake in the oven - I did it at Reg 4 (180C) and after an initial 10 minutes, in 5 minute batches, taking it out and turning it and retuning it until it looked dry, golden and clumping together.

The batch I made worked out at 70g carbs for the entire tray (I estimate about 265g in weight, my husband ate some before I had chance to weigh the cooked batch), which if you put 20g into some yogurt would add about 5.2g carbs. It's possibly too rich like this as a dish in itself, but as a topping or accompaniment is quite decadent. It's quite protein rich too - but that was what I wanted initially.

There are many recipes with alternative sweeteners and coconut oil etc, but for those of us who don't eat sweeteners. it's an alternative method to add some sweetness to a dish. I was hoping that if it made a suitable bar it might be a little lower carbs than the 9bars, but it's in the same ballpark, at 13g for a 50g serving.

29114_locarbfood.jpg

Going to give this a go. Don't think about eating during the day but this would help...

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just made Grandma's Almond Waffles posted years ago by Whitby Jet, and they're really good! The recipe looked too simple and the uncooked batter was far from appetising but the end result was definitely worth it :happy:

2 medium eggs
3 tbsp almond butter
bit of sweetener (optional)

Just beat it together and put in the waffle iron - how simple is that?

Reactions: 5 people

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds like one to try, so many of the low carb recipes I see include ingredients I can't tolerate. I don't have a waffle iron, but maybe my old toastie maker would do. Is it something you need to eat fresh as you make them, or would they keep a while?

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds like one to try, so many of the low carb recipes I see include ingredients I can't tolerate. I don't have a waffle iron, but maybe my old toastie maker would do. Is it something you need to eat fresh as you make them, or would they keep a while?

The recipe as above made 2 quite large waffles (I have a Cuisinart waffle iron amongst my ever-expanding selection of kitchen gadgets!) and could only manage one with butter, strawberries and a bit of squirty cream for brunch. I'll keep the other one and try it toasted tomorrow morning.

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The recipe as above made 2 quite large waffles (I have a Cuisinart waffle iron amongst my ever-expanding selection of kitchen gadgets!) and could only manage one with butter, strawberries and a bit of squirty cream for brunch. I'll keep the other one and try it toasted tomorrow morning.
My goodness, that sounds really good. I'm still looking for breakfast variants and that sounds perfect for weekends. Please do let me know how it turns out tomorrow. I'm also on the hunt for suitable picnic foods for my forthcoming holday too. I'm now sitting here drooling.

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My goodness, that sounds really good. I'm still looking for breakfast variants and that sounds perfect for weekends. Please do let me know how it turns out tomorrow. I'm also on the hunt for suitable picnic foods for my forthcoming holday too. I'm now sitting here drooling.
I toasted the leftover waffle this morning, having kept it in a ziploc bag overnight and it was stale and pretty tasteless :facepalm: I would still make them again though and be sure to eat them fresh.

S

Sable_Jan

I toasted the leftover waffle this morning, having kept it in a ziploc bag overnight and it was stale and pretty tasteless :facepalm: I would still make them again though and be sure to eat them fresh.
Or just halve the recipe ;)
Doesn't look as though it would freeze though does it....

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks for the update, much appreciated. I had a feeling that it wasn't likely to be a keeper, due to the high egg content. I saw the price of Almond butter today, but I don't think I'm that starved for breakfast ideas just yet to fork out for the almond variety. I wonder if works with peanut butter instead, I was sent a jar of smooth by my MIL when my husband explained that the ginger biscuits she'd bought me probably weren't appropriate.