Dizz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, Dizz. Only four of them were laying. I named the red, oozy one "Ruby" and thought she was the one not laying but she lays a huge egg every day. I told them that the one who wasn't laying was called "Casserole" and she had better start or else; not that I would!!! However, in the last few days I have been having 5 eggs so she has started laying. I am now snowed under with eggs, can't give them away fast enough! I have 2 for breakfast every morning and my husband has the occasional one so we don't have enough spare to sell really but too many to eat.
Hmm, maybe you could make quiches, etc. and freeze them? I understand hens don't lay as well in winter so you might be glad of them.

Reactions: 2 people

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Would love to have some recipes with amounts for just one person and also quick meals. Has anyone collated any or do I have to trawl through the thread? Also always on lookout for ways to brighten up veg so thought people might like this idea.

Zucchini and kale mixture

Amounts are really up to you but just for me I used
Half a zucchini/courgette sliced and pan fried in virgin coconut oil, Add a couple of handfuls of washed and dryish (I used a salad spinner) kale and stir fry until kale is warm and limp (or to however you like it) Bung in a dollop of sour cream (maybe a tablespoon or two and mix it through. Sprinkle on generous amounts of garlic pepper and if you like heat some Piri Piri and mix it through.

i ate it with panfried bacon and some sliced avocado. Lovely.

B

badcat

A rather fine seeded "bread" recipe

Blend together
7 eggs ( retain one egg white)
2 tbs soured cream
1/2 cup unsalted butter

Mix together
1 cup ground almonds
1/4 cup coconut flour
2 tbsp tapioca flour
2 tsp psyllium husk
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
1 tbp sesame seeds

Combine the wet and dry ingredients to make a batter and pour into a loaf tin
Put the reserved egg white over the top of the loaf, sprinkle on another tbsp each of sunflower and sesame seeds

Bake for 45 mins in a preheated oven at 150 degrees

Toasts quite nicely

Reactions: 6 people
B

badcat

I made up the above recipe by adapting someting out of this book which i got for £2.99 on kindle

Low Carb Breads, Crackers and More: From The Authors of The Low Carb High Fat Diet (Ketogenic Book 2) [Kindle Edition]

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, bad cat, sounds good. I would need to make about 1/4 of that as my husband eats white sliced and I could never get him to eat my seeded breads so now I am diabetic it isn't worth getting a loaf just for me. I occasionally buy one when they are reduced and give the rest to the horses when I have had my couple of slices. I never have any room in the freezer to frezze it!

B

badcat

The kindle book has got a number of recipes (8 i think) in it for 1 person and some others for 2 (pita breads) haven't tried any of them yet but they look really easy ( think microwave) also various crackers that i plan to try when i get a chance

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My low carb version of Kedgeree can easily be adapted to suit carb eaters and low carbers and any number of diners from 1. This is not a breakfast recipe, more a lunch or evening meal.

Ingredients:
  • Smoked fish fillet: haddock or cod. Enough per person. This is expensive, but in this recipe a little goes a long way,
  • 1/4 - 1/2 a small cauliflower per low-carber or white basmati rice for carb-eaters.
  • 2 eggs per person
  • A big bunch of fresh parsley
  • Lots of black pepper
  • Butter
  • Olive oil
  • Soy sauce
  • Salted peanuts
  • 1 teaspoon of dried blueberries per low-carber or a tablespoon of raisins per carb-eater.
  1. Bake the fish in butter in a dish in the oven at 170 until tender. Flake the fish in the cooking butter and keep it warm.
  2. Hardboil all the eggs. Shell and chop them into small pieces. Keep them warm.
  3. Chop the parsley finely.
  4. For low-carbers: Chop the cauliflower in a food processor until it looks like crumbs. Steam for a couple of minutes until almost tender. Keep it warm.
  5. For carb-eaters: Boil the basmati rice until just tender. Keep it warm.
  6. For carb-eaters: Sauté the raisins in a tsp olive oil. For low-carbers: Sauté the dried blueberries likewise but don't mix them with the raisins.
  7. Sauté the salted peanuts until a nice brown colour.
  8. Assembly time! The low-carb version: mix all the ingredients together, leaving out the raisins and the rice. Add freshly-ground black pepper and some salted butter.
  9. Assembly time! The high-carb version: mix all the ingredients together, leaving out the dried blueberries and the cauliflower. Add freshly-ground black pepper and some salted butter
  10. Transfer each version to a warm serving-dish. Decorate with more chopped parsley, a tablespoon per person of soy sauce and .... mimosa of egg yolk: (this is a right fuss, but it looks great and I love it: keep back 1 boiled egg yolk per person, push this through a fine plastic sieve with a spoon and decorate the surface of the kedgeree with it. I do alternate blocks of green chopped parsley and yellow mimosa eggs down the centre of the dish.)

Last edited by a moderator:

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I want to try a pork rind pizza base but I can't find anywhere local who sells the ground pork rinds so I was wondering if anybody would know the process to do them yourself as our local supermarket quite often has pork skin for sale.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I want to try a pork rind pizza base but I can't find anywhere local who sells the ground pork rinds so I was wondering if anybody would know the process to do them yourself as our local supermarket quite often has pork skin for sale.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Here's a nice easy low carb meal I made tonight. It's kind of an eggplant (aubergine) lasagna, but simpler because it's not layered. Maybe it should be called a parmigiana. Heck I'm not Italian I don't know what to call it, I just know it was easy to make and totally delic. :)
eggpant_lasagna1.jpg

I didn't follow a recipe so sorry I don't have exact quantities for anything, but it was roughly as follows:

- About 350 to 400g of mince (beef).
- One onion (medium/large).
- One carrot (medium/large).
- Two cloves of garlic.
- One can tomatoes and Italian herbs.
- One medium/large eggplant (aubergine).
- A teaspoon or two of vegetable stock powder.
- Salt, black pepper and a basic "mixed herbs" to season. (Typically this would be thyme, rosemary, basil, oregano and parsley).
- Plenty of butter and olive oil.
- A ton of cheese. ;)

- Optional extra vegetables. I had piece of leek and some turnip greens straight from the garden that I diced up and threw in. You could subst a little bit of diced spinach or just about any green leafy veg here, or just leave it out if you prefer.

Method.

- Brown the onion (diced) in plenty of butter.
- Add the mince and brown that too, along with the herbs and stock powder.
- Add the garlic and carrot (diced), along with any of the optional vegies, and cook a bit more.
- Add the can of tomatoes and let it simmer for a while to reduce. I cheated here and thickened slightly with about one tablespoon of plain flour (6g carbs), but you could susbt a low carb thickener or just leave it a tiny bit runnier if you want.
- After it's simmered and reduced slightly transfer to a baking dish and line the top with the eggplant thinly sliced.
- Drizzle a good amount of olive oil over the eggplant and bake at about 180C until the eggplant is nearly cooked (about 20 min)
- Cover it generously with cheese and return to the oven for about another 10 to 15 minutes. I used mainly cheddar, but added a good sprinkle of grated Parmesan at the end.

Yum!
eggpant_lasagna2.jpg

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here's a nice easy low carb meal I made tonight. It's kind of an eggplant (aubergine) lasagna, but simpler because it's not layered. Maybe it should be called a parmigiana. Heck I'm not Italian I don't know what to call it, I just know it was easy to make and totally delic. :)
View attachment 15940

I didn't follow a recipe so sorry I don't have exact quantities for anything, but it was roughly as follows:

- About 350 to 400g of mince.
- One onion (medium/large).
- One carrot (medium/large).
- Two gloves of garlic.
- One can tomatoes and Italian herbs.
- One medium/large eggplant (aubergine).
- A teaspoon or two of vegetable stock powder.
- Salt, black pepper and a basic "mixed herbs" to season. (Typically this would be thyme, rosemary, basil, oregano and parsley).
- Plenty of butter and olive oil.
- A ton of cheese. ;)

- Optional extra vegetables. I had piece of leek and some turnip greens straight from the garden that I diced up and threw in. You could subst a little bit of diced spinach or just about any green leafy veg here, or just leave it out if you prefer.

Method.

- Brown the onion (diced) in plenty of butter.
- Add the mince and brown that too, along with the herbs and stock powder.
- Add the garlic and carrot (diced), along with any of the optional vegies, and cook a bit more.
- Add the can of tomatoes and let it simmer for a while to reduce. I cheated here and thickened slightly with about one tablespoon of plain flour (6g carbs), but you could susbt a low carb thickener or just leave it a tiny bit runnier if you want.
- After it's simmered and reduced slightly transfer to a baking dish and line the top with the eggplant thinly sliced.
- Drizzle a good amount of olive oil over the eggplant and bake at about 180C until the eggplant is nearly cooked (about 20 min)
- Cover it generously with cheese and return to the oven for about another 10 to 15 minutes. I used mainly cheddar, but added a good sprinkle of grated Parmesan at the end.

Yum!
View attachment 15941 View attachment 15942
More akin to a Moussaka?

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
More akin to a Moussaka?
I had to google that, but yeah, definitely something like that. :)
I started out with the basic idea of making something like a "pot pie" but with sliced eggplant and cheese instead of pastry on top. Then once I started preparing it my thinking changed to something more of a lasagna type flavour. Anyway, whatever it's called, it was seriously yummy. :)

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all - I'm always on the lookout for quick meals to make when I get home from a hard days graft. Threw some stuff together this evening that turned out to be really tasty so I thought I'd share it with you.

A tablespoon of garlic olive oil in a heavy based frying pan. Add half a chopped red onion - let it soften for a min. Add 1 large diced chicken breast, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp garam masala. Allow the chicken to cook with the spices for 2 min - stirring occasionally. Chuck on a tin of chopped tomatoes (I used one with added chilli for a bit of extra kick) bring to boil then simmer for 10 mins. Throw on half a large bag of prepared spinach leaves - let them wilt till they stir through the sauce easily.
And there u go - naught to dinner in less than half an hour. Serve with a dollop of natural yogurt on the side. This was for 2 people and comes in at approx 17g of carbs per portion.

I chose to have mine with a tblsp brown rice (one of those pop in the microwave for 2 mins jobs - approx 10g carbs) and 2 ready made poppadums - approx 3.5g carbs each. But that's because I seem to be ok with a small portion of brown rice - BS was 4.8 two hours after eating - and I had a small portion of strawberries and cream for dessert too. But you could have this over any veg of your choice instead.

Reactions: 6 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'd like to thank everyone for their posts on this thread. It has been amazingly helpful for a newbie to the low carbing way of life. I have cooked loads of them and nearly all have turned out good and some have turned out GREAT. One or two have been a bit weird but I think that is more likely to be my error rather than the recipe.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been a bit hesitant to post this one, as it's really more of a tip than a recipe. But, as simple as it is, others might find it useful, so here goes. :)

Like many other T2's here, prior to being diagnosed I drank a lot of unsweetened fruit juices in the mistaken belief that they were healthy for me. Obviously after being diagnosed, and particularly after self testing BGLs, I realized they were actually one of the worst things possible. So there's been no fruit juices at all for me in the past few years, and instead have been drinking lots of black tea and various herbal teas.

But the past few days here have been extremely hot (35C+) and I've really missed those cool fruit juice style drinks to stay hydrated. Anyway, I've hit upon a ridiculously simple and easy substitute that seems to hit the spot.

- One glass of tap water
- A couple of spoonfuls of frozen blueberries
- A teaspoon of xylitol or erythritol sweetener (I actually only use half a teaspoon, so adjust to taste).
- Let it sit for a minute or two and a quick stir and that's it. A nice cold low carb drink, slightly fruity, and you get to eat the blueberries when you're finished. Win win win! :D
blueberry water.jpg

Reactions: 11 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That may not be a recipe but it is a fantastic tip. I wonder if you use a soda stream you would be able to make a fizzy fruit drink.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My new favourite thing!

Have made these twice now. The first batch stuck to the mini-muffin pan so I did the next ones on a baking paper lined try & they came out beautifully. They flattened a little in the cooking but they were delish - cheesy, soft but crispy golden discs of yum :D

I used a whole cauli & thus extra almond flour, cheese/spices. I only used the one egg & (I guess I didn't drain the cauli well enough!) added a couple of TBS of psyllium to help hold the mix together. I went with dry fried onion, chilli flakes, black pepper & a bit of veg stock powder for the flavouring. I also pureed the cauli more than the recipe suggests as I was after a creamier texture.

I froze the extras before baking & just thawed them o/night in the fridge when I next used them. I found 180 degrees to be the best baking temperature.

Recipe came from here http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2014/03/cheesy-baked-cauliflower-tots.html

Cheesy Baked Cauiflower Tots
(Makes 24 small Cauliflower Tots; recipe developed by Kalyn with inspiration fromseveralotherbloggers who also made Cauliflower Tots.)

Ingredients:
1/2 large head caulflower, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar
1/4 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
2 T almond flour
1/2 tsp. Vege-Sal (or a slightly smaller amount of salt)
1/2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (Probably optional, but it does add flavor. You can substitute another all-purpose seasoning blend that tastes good with cauliflower)
fresh-ground black pepper to taste
1 egg

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Spray a Mini Muffin Pan with non-stick spray.

Cut away the leaves of the cauliflower, but use most of the inner core part. Coarsely chop the cauliflower, place in a micro-wave proof bowl, cover with cling wrap, and microwave 2 minutes on high. (Microwaves can vary so you may need to experiment with the time, but the cauliflower should be just slightly soft.) Quickly take off the cling-wrap and let the steam escape, and if you see any water in the bottom of the bowl, put the cauliflower into a colander and let the water drain off.

Put the steel blade in the food processor, add the cauliflower, and pulse until the cauliflower is finely chopped but still slightly chunky. (Be careful not to over process so you don't end up with cauliflower puree!) If there is any water in the food processor bowl, drain the cauliflower again in the colander.

Put finely chopped cauliflower into a bowl and add the reduced-fat sharp cheddar, coarsely grated Parmesan, almond flour, Vege-Sal or salt, Spike Seasoning (if using), and fresh-ground black pepper. Stir until ingredients are well-combined. Add the egg and stir until the ingredients are mostly coated with egg. (You might be tempted to add another egg, but don't. You'll be surprised how well this sticks together.)

Use a One Tablespoon Cookie Scoop or a steel one-tablespoon measuring spoon to scoop out rounded spoonfuls of the mixture and place it in the mini muffin pan. Bake 15 minutes. Carefully turn each cauliflower tot over in the muffin tin and bake 15 minutes more, or until tots are nicely browned on both sides. Serve hot; these are best served right out of the oven.

Reactions: 8 people

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I couldn't recommend them highly enough @4ratbags :)

Using a whole cauli also gave me 52 of the gorgeous things so they're pretty economical & a good standby for the freezer.