Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Tlive. What is the carb content in Swede?
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1454664484.502525.jpg
hope this helps,swarnag.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bbought a SWEDE. Is it low carb What can I make with that?
I am no cook, but i have seen and my family have tried successfully the following
Low Carb (LC) swede mash (pot substitute), and also in stews and casseroles. can also be diced, boiled and mixed with LC white sauce with a pepper seasoning.

Swede is mid carb because it is a root vegetable. Just search << how many carbs in swede>> Swede is better than potato because it is not starchy.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I am no cook, but i have seen and my family have tried successfully the following
Low Carb (LC) swede mash (pot substitute), and also in stews and casseroles. can also be diced, boiled and mixed with LC white sauce with a pepper seasoning.

Swede is mid carb because it is a root vegetable. Just search << how many carbs in swede>> Swede is better than potato because it is not starchy.
I posted a table of carbs/ vegetables,for perusal,lol

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
thanks for all your replies.

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Whenever you post those nice recipes could you please put the carb and calorie content if you know it.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whenever you post those nice recipes could you please put the carb and calorie content if you know it.
The Cauli mash and swede mash are in the DCUK Christmas Cookbook 2015 which i believe you can download from this site. I have no idea what c & c count they are, but they worked for me. The peppered white sauce depends on what you use for flour. Almond or coconut would probably do it nicely. But you might get away with spelt flour if your carb allowance allows it.

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Thanks again Oldvatr.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes a great recipe, I use a similar one for Oopsie Rolls which I use for hamburgers. Just be aware that the title is a bit deceiving though, it isnt carb free.

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have mentioned this before, but not on this Forum (I think).. In case you don't know, did you know you can cook a whole swede in the microwave? No need to wash it, or prick it. Depending on the size....mine took two lots of 10 minutes. Test with a cake tester, when cooked, take out of oven, lay on it's side and cut in half and scoop out the flesh and mash with butter and pepper.
They are very difficult to peel and normally a lot is cut away with the skin, but this way, there is no waste. It's good mashed with garlic butter too.

Reactions: 5 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have to post this one, lunch today, just cooling in front of me and smelling very good.

Soem mixed veg, in this case helda beans, fresh cauli and some of the leaves, fresh psb, courgette, shallot
Quorn chunks for protein.

All sauted in coconut oil, flavoured with some red thai curry paste, some finely chopped fresh horseradish and finished with a few tbs of double cream.

Smells heavenly.

Reactions: 2 people

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
Sprouts Ugh!!!!! Next worse thing to garlic. Even more Ugh!!!

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You "ugh!!! " sprouts and garlic, I enjoy both. Sprouts tossed in butter & almonds & garlic goes in so much of my cooking!! Good thing we're all different.

nelibonsai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
quacks
I tested this recipes in Russia, while visiting, before my D, but they are not high carb. Some ingredients can be substituted:
Zapekanka iz Tvoroga – Baked Russian Cheesecake Recipe

http://www.charlottesvveb.com/2010/06/02/zapekanka-iz-tvoroga-baked-russian-cheesecake-recipe/
guess flower can be substituted with almond flower. It is served cold with fresh thick cream on top. I love it.
You can omit the bread crumbs
Ingredients

15g butter

2 slices of white bread, blitzed to breadcrumbs

4 eggs

500g ricotta cheese

(unless you are lucky and live near a Russian supermarket which sells proper cottage cheese)

90g caster sugar

zest of 1 lemon

juice of 1/2 a lemon

3 tbsp semolina

75g currents

1 tsp vanilla extract
Soak currents and lemon rind in lemon juice and vanilla extract

Separate the eggs

Beat egg yolks with caster sugar, ricotta and semolina

Add currents and lemon rind to egg yolks

Beat egg whites until stiff peaks are formed

Gently fold in egg whites using a metal spoon
Grease loose-bottomed cake tin with butter

Generously apply breadcrumbs to the tin

Pour mixture in to tin

Heat in oven on 175 degrees Celsius for 35 minutes or until golden brown on outside and set inside
You can omit the raisins also.
See pictures in the link. You can also make them like cap cakes.

nelibonsai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
quacks
Same recipe from different site:

Introduction
It is better to use bakers cheese
Number of Servings: 4

Ingredients

• 1 lb bakers cheese, russian stile cottage cheese or ricotta
    2 tbs sugar
    2 tbs unsalted butter, melted
    salt on your taste
    2 tbs farina
    2 tbs sour cream
    bread crambs
    some oil to grease the dish
Directions
Bit egg, sugar and salt. Add to ricotta and mix well. Add melted butter, then add farina. Grease 9" dish and sprinkle with bread crambs. Preheat oven to 350F. Spread ricotta mix. Spread sour cream lightly on the top. Bake 40 min.
Serve warm or cold with sour cream or yor favorit syrup.

Number of Servings: 4
https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=37831

nelibonsai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
quacks
Gluten Free Winter Vegetable and Feta Tart
  • For the Base
  • 1 large cauliflower, broken into florets, about 750g prepared weight
  • 100g ground almonds
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • For the Topping
  • 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into wedges, about 750g prepared weight
  • 2 red onions, cut into wedges
  • 1 large red chilli, roughly chopped
  • Small bunch fresh sage, roughly chopped
  • 2tbsp olive oil
  • 3tbsp passata
  • 200g feta cheese, crumbled
  • Small bunch fresh mint, roughly chopped
Instructions
This delicious vegetarian tart makes a spectacular alternative to the classic main course. Instead of a traditional pastry, the base is made from a combination of cauliflower, eggs and ground almonds.

1 Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas mark 6. Place the cauliflower florets in a food processor and blitz until coarsley chopped (you might need to do this in two batches). Place in a large bowl and cover with cling film and cook in a microwave on high for four minutes. Tip into a clean tea towel and squeeze out excess liquid. Tip back into a bowl and mix with the ground almonds, eggs and seasoning.

2 Line a large baking tray with baking parchment. Tip the cauliflower mixture into the centre of the tray and press into a 30cm round to make the tart base – making it thicker at the edges to make a crust. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown and starting to crisp at the edges.

3 Meanwhile toss the butternut squash wedges with the red onion, chilli, sage and olive oil and spread out on another large baking tray and roast alongside the cauliflower for 15 minutes until starting to turn golden and tender.

4 Spoon the passata over the cauliflower base, then top with the squash and onion and finally scatter over the feta. Roast for a further 12–15 minutes until the vegetables and feta are golden and the base is crusty. Serve scattered with fresh mint and serve cut into wedges.

- See more at: http://www.booths.co.uk/recipe/gluten-free-winter-vegetable-and-feta-tart/#sthash.v6cFq11K.dpuf- See more at: http://www.booths.co.uk/recipe/gluten-free-winter-vegetable-and-feta-tart/#sthash.v6cFq11K.dpuf