2 bulbs of pak choi
120g mascarpone
50ml double cream
30g grated parmesan
2 tbsp lemon juice
Tarragon
Freshly ground black pepper

METHOD

Slice pak choi as you would a cucumber and place it in an ovenproof dish.
Blend mascarpone with cream, 20g of the parmesan, lemon juice, tarragon and pepper.
Pour mixture over the pak choi so that it’s evenly covered. (Add a little milk if it’s too thick to pour.)
Lay salmon fillets on the top and sprinkle with the remaining 10g of parmesan.
Bake at 170oC for 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of the salmon fillets (the pak choi should retain a slight “bite”).

Serves 2
Per serving: 672 cals; 3.6g carbs

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 405
D

debrasue

CELERIAC ROSTI
(Serves 4)

INGREDIENTS
1 celeriac
30g butter, melted
Garlic
50g grated parmesan
1 egg
Salt & black pepper

METHOD
Grate celeriac
Add melted butter, garlic, parmesan, egg, salt & pepper & mix in a large bowl until well combined
Press into a non-stick 20cm square baking tray
Bake at 190oC for 30 minutes, or until browned

Carbs: 0.6g/serving
Cals: 132/serving

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:
D

debrasue

CAULIFLOWER CHEESE SOUP

INGREDIENTS

1 cauliflower
300ml double cream
50g grated Parmesan
2 chicken Oxo cubes
Salt & black pepper to taste

METHOD
Separate the cauliflower into florets. Make up the chicken Oxo cubes into stock with hot water and add the florets. Cook until soft. Strain, but reserve the liquid.
Put florets into a blender with some of the Oxo liquid and blend until smooth. (I find it easier to do this in batches.)
Add cream & parmesan and blend well. Add a little more of the Oxo liquid to achieve the consistency you prefer. (The cheese will cause the soup to thicken slightly when hot.)
Add salt and black pepper to taste.

(I've not indicated the number of servings, as it will depend how hungry you are! Equally, I've not indicated the carbs per serving for the same reason. But the total batch will contain around 1800 calories and 23g of carbs, so you can divide these totals by the number of servings, ie 6 servings would be 300 cals/3.8g carbs each)

WARNING: One bowl will not be enough! :joyful:

Reactions: 2 people

PaleoWithMrsP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ignorance
English Breakfast Mini Fritattas (recipe here )

02-DSC_0664.jpg

Serves:8-12
Prep time:10 mins
Cook time:20 mins
Total time:30 mins

Ingredients
  • 8 eggs, whisked together with 3 tbsp water
  • 2 spring onions, finely chopped
  • ½ tsp sea salt
  • 110g cherry tomatoes, sliced in to half
  • 60g button mushrooms, sliced
  • pinch black pepper (to each muffin)
  • 5 rashers bacon

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 180° c
  2. In to a frying pan over high heat place bacon and dry fry for approx 2 minutes on each side (you want it to be cooked but not crispy as it will cook in the oven later). Place to the side
  3. In to the same frying pan place a little oil (preferably coconut) and fry off mushrooms for about 2 minutes- just to soften them. Place to the side
  4. Chop your bacon in to thin (about 1.0 cm) length strips
  5. With all your ingredient in front of you, in to muffin holders (I always use silicone as they don't need greasing, but if yours are not silicone then please grease first) place lengths of bacon (about 4 pieces in each one)
  6. Followed by a few mushrooms, 2 cherry tomato halves and then fill with egg mixture to near the top
  7. Sprinkle a little sea salt over the top and add some chopped spring onion and a little black pepper to finish
  8. Repeat until all the mixture has been used (I make around 12 medium sized muffins)
  9. Place muffins in to the oven for around 15 minutes (and then check), if they have not risen or are still a little soft then keep them in for a further 5 minutes and check.
  10. Once risen, take out of oven and place on wire rack to cool
  11. Serve hot or cold

Notes
Keep in the fridge in sealed container for up to 4 days
My silicone muffin tray is from Asda. For the link, click here

Reactions: 2 people

PaleoWithMrsP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ignorance
Low carb Nut Butter Curry (Recipe from here)

dsc_1102.jpg

A flavour packed nut butter curry that takes next to no time to make but tastes like it's been cooking for hours!

Ingredients
  • Curry:
  • 460g Chicken Fillets
  • 1 tsp Cumin
  • 2 tsp Curry Powder
  • 1 Large White Onion, finely chopped
  • 2 Tbsp Hazelnut Butter (or any other nut butter)
  • 2 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
  • ½ tsp Salt
  • 2 Tsp Coconut Oil
  • 1 measuring Cup Water + 1Tbsp
  • Cauliflower rice:
  • 1 Tsp Salt
  • 1 Large Cauliflower
  • 2 Tsp Coconut Oil
  • 3 Tbsp Desiccated Coconut
  • 1 Tsp Turmeric

Instructions
  1. In to a deep wok place 2 tsp coconut oil and allow to melt over high heat
  2. Fry off chopped onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes until soft
  3. Add in the chicken and fry off until white on all sides
  4. Add in spices, salt and mix on to the chicken. Fry off for another 1-2 minutes
  5. Add in a little water (1 tbsp) and mix in, continue to cook
  6. Add in 2 tbsp hazelnut butter (or other nut butter) and stir in followed by 1 cup (measuring) water. Fully combine mixture
  7. Allow to simmer for approx 10-15 minutes, the mixture will thicken considerably. If it thickens too much add in 1-2 tbsp water at a time until desired consistency
  8. Serve immediately with cauliflower rice
  9. Cauliflower rice:
  10. In to a blender place chopped cauliflower and blitz until rice like consistency
  11. Add in 3 tbsp desiccated coconut, 1tsp salt and 1 tsp turmeric, mix in
  12. In to a deep wok or pan place 2tsp coconut oil and melt
  13. Over high heat add the cauliflower rice and cook for 5 minutes maximum - the rice should still be grainy and should still retain a bite

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
low carb pizza

I just made and had this, I calculated it only has around 10-12 g carbs depending on the topping.

You will need:

2 low carb tortillas (3g carbs each)
Grated cheese ( I used cathedral city and parmesan)
Mixed dried herbs
Garlic
Tomato sauce/pure
Pepperoni
A few slices of onion and red pepper

or what ever you fancy, tuna, ham, veggies etc. etc.

Place one tortillaon a baking tray and top with some cheese and herbs. Place the other one on top and spread tomato sauce over the top. Add garlic and more herbs, pepperoni and the onions and peppers and some more cheese. Bake in 200 degrees until cheese is bubbling and enjoy! It was absolutely delicious and I'll be definitely making it again. :mrgreen:

Where do you get low carb tortillas please? What brand?

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheddar & Watercress Roulade

Todays lunch, we felt rather posh with this, was absolutely delicious!

Ingredients for 8 persons:

For the dough:
4 large leeks
2 bunches watercress
4 large eggs
300 ml cream
Salt, pepper
100 g Parmesan cheese
filling:
450 g Kerrygold, Original Irish farmhouse cheese
150g mayonnaise
Salt, pepper

Preheat oven to 200C.
Wash leeks and watercress, chop coarsely.
Whisk together the eggs and cream, stir in leeks and watercress, mix well.
Spread the mixture on to a lined baking tray, bake for 20 to 30 mins until golden brown.
In the meantime cut out some greaseproof paper slightly larger than the tray, place it flat on the work surface, sprinkle it with the grated parmesan cheese. Remove the pastry from the oven and immediately place baked side facing down on to the grated parmesan, leave to cool.
Mix mayonnaise with grated Cheddar cheese, spread over the cooled pastry, and carefully lift the edge of the greaseproof paper, rolling it up into a roulade.
Cut into slices serve with salad and dressing of your choice.

This is what it looks like

http://www.kerrygold.de/rezepte/hauptsp ... ublin.html

4.2 carbs per portion
Omg that looks amazing!

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chips!!

Take a packet of prepared curly kale from the supermarket. A large bowl. Add a glug of olive oil, salt, and cider vinegar. Take a handful of the kale and massage the oil mixture into it. Gradually do the same with the rest of the kale. I then dry until crisped using a food dehydrator. You can do in v low oven.

This is an amazing healthy snack that you will become addicted to.

Also try adding different flavours - parmeson, garlic or onion salt, cayenne etc.

Cd
I will definitely try this! I'm feeling cheered up by all these lovely recipes on here Thanks

D

debrasue

Sorry but can you give me the brand and how many carbs per tortilla if you don't mind
I think people are making their own.
Modesty007 has put some recipes here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-recipes.4871/page-42#post-741500
I don't know what the carb count is, but I guess you could work it out...
Amazon seem to sell some online made by Carbzone, at 4g of carbs per tortilla, but they do contain wheat flour so personally I wouldn't want to risk those....
Hope this helps.
:)

PaleoWithMrsP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ignorance
I have posted a new recipe for sweet potato, leek and lime fritters (RECIPE HERE)
DSC_0134.jpg

Serves:8-10
Prep time:10 mins
Cook time:20 mins
Total time:30 mins

Ingredients
  • 350g Sweet Potato, grated
  • 150g Leek, finely chopped
  • 3 Large Eggs, whisked
  • 2 TBSP Coconut Flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp grated lime zest
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • Pinch pepper

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 180°C
  2. Into a mixing bowl place grated sweet potato, chopped leek, salt, lime zest, pepper and coconut flour and combine
  3. Add in whisked eggs and fully mix in
  4. Over high heat in a deep sided frying pan place 2 TBSP coconut oil and allow to melt
  5. Spoon about 1-1.5TBSP mixture in to the pan and spread to about 2 cm thick (If your mixture is too dry add another egg but 3 LARGE eggs should be plenty for this recipe!)
  6. Add in up to 4 patties and allow the underside to turn golden brown (about 2-3 mins) before flipping (carefully) and cooking the other side
  7. Once both sides are nicely browned, place the patties on a baking sheet and pop in the oven for 5 minutes to ensure they are cooked through
  8. Once cooked squeeze a generous amount of lime juice on to them and serve straight away or allow to cool and serve at a later time

D

debrasue

Coffee and Cake anyone?

Stracciatella cake
110 g butter, softened
120 g cream cheese
5 eggs, medium size
185 g almond flour
sweetener equivalent to 100g sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
almond essence/orange essence/vanilla essence
50 g of 85% chocolate

Preheat oven to 170 ° C.
Mix butter and cream cheese really well
Add sweetener and essence of your choice and stir again
Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition
Stir in almond flour and baking powder
Chop chocolate into small pieces and add to the mixture
Line and grease a small loaf tin or use a silicon baking dish
Pour in the cake mixture, level out the top
Bake for 55 minutes at 170 ° C in a fan assisted oven (would be 180 in a normal oven I think)

I have made 2 of these cakes yesterday, took one with me to work, everyone enjoyed.
The cake is moist, and will freeze, always have a cake ready for when one of those cravings strike.
Its so lovely with tea/coffee, served with a dollop of cream it wont leave you hungry for a while.

http://lchf.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2886#p69379
@PenfoldAPD - I think this is the recipe you're looking for (and its scrumptious!!) :)

Mazjingree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I
Hello Everyone

I have just started the diet and my husband is doing it too. I am a type 1 but I have a lot of weight to lose and also have to bring down my hba1c from 10.8 .

Any tips on the best way to start would be great.
Thanks
Maz

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mazjingree the diet doctor is where I first learnt about LC and lots of searching on Google. It took me a year to fully change my diet to LCHF. Initially most people start by cutting down on starchy carbs like potatoes, rice, pasta etc. Cut out or at least cut down on bread if possible and go for above ground vegetables. Always go for the full fat versions of foods like yoghurt, sour cream etc and make sure you use butter in cooking, not oils.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you on Facebook? There are some great pages on there too. Low carb living is one and low carbing among friends is another. X

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app