Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I got a 6 packs of yellow stickered fresh cranberries for 75p a pack. I love cranberry sauce so I thought with all those cheap cranberries I'd experiment and my first attempt was good.

1 Cup of cranberries
Half a teaspoon of cinnamon
2 tablespoons of port
2 tablespoons of Splenda - or other sweetener - and add enough until it tastes good to you

I mixed the cranberries, cinnamon and port together then zapped in the microwave for a few minutes until the cranberries burst - then I added the Splenda (I'm sure any other sweetener would do). Its now in the freezer in small batches.

I also made some cranberry, red onion and red wine relish because I really missed chutneys last Christmas, so

Teaspoon olive oil
1 pack (about 2 cups) of cranberries
1 chopped large red onion
Teaspoon cinnamon
Half a cup of red wine
Splenda (or sweetener of your choice) until it tastes good for you

Using a non stick pan I very gently cooked the red onion until dark, sweet and sludgy then stirred in the cranberries, red wine and cinnamon then simmered gently until the cranberries had all burst and the mixture had thickened. I then added the Splenda until it tasted about right - which, for me, was about 4 tablespoons. I have also frozen this in small batches as I don't think it will preserve well without any sugar.

I love cranberries and make cranberry muffins as a December treat. I cook the cranberries on the stove and sweeten with Sukrin Gold, and I've dared use a little fresh orange juice and zest in my mix without any issues, but I've not dared used port since I was diagnosed. I used to put in in my Christmas cranberry sauce though pre-diabetes era.

Robbity

PS Cranberries are on my next shopping list! :p

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
There is so little port in it (per portion) that it didn't do anything to my BG at all. (Makes a change!)

Tannedhaggis

After discovering cauliflower fried rice on chowhound.com, I adapted it to create the best tasting Nasi - Goreng I have had in a long time. Serve with a fried egg on top.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 head of cauliflower
  • 3 slices of bacon
  • 2 eggs, lightly whisked
  • 1 small onion, finely diced
  • 1 carrot, finely diced
  • 1 red pepper, finely diced
  • 1 cup celery, finely diced
  • 1 tablespoon Chinese 5 spice
  • 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
  • 1 tablespoon ghee (or other oil of choice)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Chop cauliflower into florets and pulverize in a food processor until it resembles “rice”.
  2. Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Add oil and cauliflower; cook for 5 minutes.
  3. Add remaining vegetables and spice, cook until soft, another 7-10 minutes.
  4. While cauliflower is cooking, heat a separate skillet on medium heat, and add bacon and eggs. When they are done, set aside and dice.
  5. When cauliflower and vegetables are done cooking, add fish sauce.
  6. Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly.
  7. Add bacon and eggs. Stir until combined.

Reactions: Soo2

srm100841

Mushroom Bhaji

Hi,

I am newly Type 2 and experimenting..this recipe doesn't send my levels up high, I hope I've got it right and it is low carb.

Mushroom Bhaji

2 large onions, thinly sliced
oil or butter for frying
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp chilli powder
1 clove garlic, chopped
375 gms mushrooms, sliced

Melt oil or butter in a pan, saute onions for 3 minutes or until tender.
Add turmeric, chilli and garlic, saute for 1 minute.
Add mushrooms, saute over low heat or until mushrooms are ready.

I made it tonight and had it with cauliflower and a couple of sausages and I was fine.
I do mushrooms in a similar way and they are really low carb so have little or no impact on my BG levels. Since I like Indian foods I also make a very tasty cabbage dish. It's very easy and cooks in no more than about 5 minutes. Take ordinary green or tenderheart cabbage leaves and slice them into threads. Heat a small amount of oil in a saucepan and when hot throw in a teaspoon each of black mustard seeds and cumin seeds. As soon as they start to pop (almost immediately) throw in the cabbage plus a handful of frozen peas and start to saute, add salt to taste, a pinch of tumeric and a finely cut chilli (or chilli powder) and continue to saute and toss around for a few minutes until the cabbage is tender then throw in a handful of chopped fresh coriander and a squeeze of lemon. If you want to add a little sweetness also add just a few raisins. The finer you cut the cabbage the better it works.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I do mushrooms in a similar way and they are really low carb so have little or no impact on my BG levels. Since I like Indian foods I also make a very tasty cabbage dish. It's very easy and cooks in no more than about 5 minutes. Take ordinary green or tenderheart cabbage leaves and slice them into threads. Heat a small amount of oil in a saucepan and when hot throw in a teaspoon each of black mustard seeds and cumin seeds. As soon as they start to pop (almost immediately) throw in the cabbage plus a handful of frozen peas and start to saute, add salt to taste, a pinch of tumeric and a finely cut chilli (or chilli powder) and continue to saute and toss around for a few minutes until the cabbage is tender then throw in a handful of chopped fresh coriander and a squeeze of lemon. If you want to add a little sweetness also add just a few raisins. The finer you cut the cabbage the better it works.

I'm adding that to my 'must make' folder - my husband (who loves cooking) makes something similar to your cabbage dish but using spinach - frozen leaf or pre-wilted fresh but not chopped frozen - leaving out the peas and sultanas and adding some full fat greek yoghurt a couple of minutes before the end. Very yummy and goes with any curry or with a chop or steak.

@Lula I'm adding that mushroom recipe to my 'must make' folder, too!

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Low carb cranberry and cream cheese cake on my blog
http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/2016/12/cranberry-and-cream-cheese-cake.html
cranberry cake fb.jpg

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apologies if a similar pastry recipe has been posted before, but yesterday I experimented with adapting a recipe for pastry I was given on cooking course in Tuscany a few years ago. It was always my favourite recipe for sweet and savoury pastry before low carbing and I was happy that the mince pies I made yesterday without flour were just as light and melt in the mouth. Its a weird recipe, allegedly given to my cookery teacher by an Eastern European monk, but it really does work! Don't be alarmed by the ingredients, quantities or consistency of the pastry. Everything is correct. I used Trex in this recipe but you can use Flora White or Lard. BEWARE this is messy and it doesn't resemble traditional pastry when being handled, but the cooked results are sublime!

I used shop bought traditional mincemeat on this occasion as it was an experiment. Even with traditional mincemeat, my BS didn't spike after 2 eating mince pies.

Low carb pastry for mince pies: Makes 48 pies

600g ground almonds
1 tablespoon baking powder
Pinch table salt
450g Vegetable fat (yes not a mistake!)
2 fl oz milk
1 tablespoon malt vinegar
1 egg
1 tablespoon Mincemeat per pie
beaten egg for egg wash

Method: Begin by sieving baking powder and salt into a bowl containing the ground almonds, and then rub in the vegetable fat. This will become almost a paste. Beat the egg into the milk then add the vinegar and pour into the fat and almond mixture and combine to a very moist paste. Place in a plastic food bag (I double wrap mine in clingfilm) and chill overnight.

When chilled, roll out the pastry (you will need a dusting of flour for rolling) and cut out circles using a pastry cutter. You will need one circle for the base of the pie, and one for the lid. Place the bottom circle in greased individual patty tins and fill with one tablespoon of mincemeat. Place egg wash around the rim of the base and on both sides of the pastry lid. Place lid on top of the filled base and press gently to seal the rim. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 180C until golden brown.

There is no need to grease your tins due to the high fat content in the pastry.

Last edited:

zigzag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: Low Carb Recipes.

Crustless Quiche
Fry 2 onions and 2 cloves garlic until soft and golden in 2 tbsp olive oil. Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix together 4 ozs grated strong cheese, 1 tbsp ground almonds, 1 tsp mustard, black pepper. Beat together 3 eggs with 300mls double cream or creme fraiche and add to the bowl with the cooked onions. Mix all well together then bake in a greased cake tin for 40-50 mins at Gas 5. You'll have to convert into deg C yourselves, no good at that!!! I use a silicon cake tin, no need to grease and the quiche just glides out.
I do prefer this cold with salad, but it's ab fab!!!

PaleoWithMrsP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ignorance
I have a blog dedicated to Low Carb recipes. It has over 120 recipes all of which are free from gluten, grains, dairy and refined sugars. In the mean time, here's my bread recipe (with only 1g carbs per slice).
WWW.PALEOWITHMRSP.COM
DSC_0601.jpg
LCHF

Serves:1 loaf
Prep time:20 mins
Cook time:1 hour
Total time:1 hour 20 mins

A delicious, simple to make Paleo bread recipe, that's filled with nutritious super foods. To be enjoyed in sandwiches, as an accompaniment to soups or just on its own with some eggs, avocado and sea-salt!

Ingredients
  • 100g Milled Flaxseed (if you do not have this then so long as you replace with a milled alternative then this will be fine)
  • 100g Mixed Seeds (eg a mix of any of the following : pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, linseed, poppy seeds etc)
  • 100g Chia seeds
  • 200g Ground Almonds
  • 1 Cup Water
  • ¼ Cup Melted Coconut Oil
  • 4 Eggs, Large and beaten
  • 1 Tsp Sea Salt
Instructions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 180° C / 356°F
  2. In to a deep mixing bowl place the flaxseed, mix seeds, chia seeds, ground almonds and sea salt and combine with a wooden spoon
  3. Create a well and pour in coconut oil and beaten eggs, combine until fully mixed in
  4. Now add in water and combine until you have a thick mixture
  5. Transfer batter to a loaf tin (I use silicone, but if you use an alternative make sure it's greased)
  6. Place in to oven for 1 hr until the top is golden and you can put a skewer through it that comes out clean
  7. Allow to fully cool before serving and before placing in a tin
  8. Store in an airtight container for up to one week
Notes
I use a silicone loaf tin 31 x 13 x 7cm H. (12¼" x 5" x 2¾").
Do check your bread at 40 minutes through to make sure the top is not burning - you can always add foil to the top of the bread to prevent this

Here's the link http://paleowithmrsp.com/superfood-paleo-bread/

Reactions: pms543

Oblomov

Please could someone link to the 'Low Carb Recipe Book'. I keep being diverted to the '365 Cookbook' , but I don't want that. I want the LOW CARB Recipes collection.