Low carb seems to have done the trick

martin28

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed type 2 on christmas eve with a HbA1c of 64
Luckily I was pointed in the direction of this site and after a lot of reading decided to give the low carb a go. It was like a few people had said tough for the first few weeks but I am glad I managed to stick it out.
Since christmas i have managed to get my weight down from 14st 4 to 12st 6 and more importantly my HbA1c down to 43.
This has been achieved by just cutting the carbs down doing a bit more walking and no medication. My dogs look fitter too.
So it goes to prove that low carb is definitely worth the effort.

Reactions: 32 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well done Martin, that is a fantastic result :)

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done @martin28 ! :D
A diagnosis on Christmas Eve, eh? :eek: Hells bells, that's fantastic timing ! :eek: On the other hand though, time to find and browse this forum !:)

Signy

martin28

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did spend quite a lot of time reading things on this forum over the holidays :). Not the best thing I've ever had for christmas

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Brilliant Martin, well done!

You seem to be following a very similar trajectory to mine :)

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not the best Christmas present, Martin! Glad you are managing the "low carb" way of controlling your BS. Keep up the good work.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
Fantastic @martin28 , very well done. That is you officially my role model.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Congratulations great result.

martin28

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your kind words. sanguine our results are very similar and if I get down to a HbA1c of 38 like you I will be over the moon

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Well done and thank you for sharing your success as it may inspire others :)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Well done @martin28,
People telling how THEY have coped with D as well as support from members are 2 strong pillars on which the forum is built. Good luck for the future:)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How many carbs do you consume per day? I'm keen to start a low carb way of living but have read so much conflicting info - any advice ?

martin28

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just cut down on my carbs as much as I can. I have found some nice recipes on this site and I try to keep to below 30g per meal. My biggest problem was lunch time. I am an electrical engineer and never know where I will be working from one day to the next. My old way was the same as most i guess sandwiches and a packet of crisps. I bought myself a food flask and started making stews and chillies etc to take instead. Usually alternate between this and a salad with some omelette or some mackerel. Think the secret is to find what is best for you. I bought a meter and some strips off amazon and test before and 2 hrs after a meal if i try something different. You will soon find out what causes your bs to spike and then avoid that food as much as you can. For me pasta is a real no no as i don't need to eat much for my bs to spike. Exercise is also important i try to go for a brisk walk after my lunch for 20min and find that it makes a difference as well as walking my dogs for at least an hr every evening. Hope this helps and good luck