Low Carbing and Indian Food

simply_h

Hello All,

Hope we are all well.

Does anyone have any good ideas for indian recipes that are low carb?

Looking for both meat and vegetarian ones.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers
Simply_h

goldfish_21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Re: Low Carbing and Indian Food.

Some of the best indian food recipes I've come across have been from slimming magazines. The Slimming world recipes for Tikka Masala in particular is a favourite in our house.

It uses a base of grated onion and tomato for the sauce, with spices and yogurt added. I always leave the yogurt out as I think it gives a funny taste and is not necessary if you leave the pan to simmer a bit so the sauce can reduce and thicken, which makes it very low carb as far as I can see (although I'm fairly new to the carb counting business so someone may come along in a minute and tell me otherwise :? It's all a bit of a learning curve).

If you're sticking to low carb but not low fat, you can add a bit of cream and make the dish more luxurious for not many extra carbs.

I'd imagine there are copyright issues with posting the actual recipe but it is easy enough to find on the interweb if you google it.

For me, the main problem re indian food/carb counting would be the rice and naan's that we tend to put with everything. Not sure what to do about that :?

Vicky

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

I agree with the yoghurt statement - what I use in my indian cooking is Coconut Cream. You can buy it in boxes at the supermarket in super handy single serve pouches (4 pouches to a box) for around £1. Stick 'em in the microwave for 20secs, or in a bowl of hot water to soften the cream.

Perfect for making creamy curries out of the usual tomatoe based curry.

Have you got any specific recipes you are after? I've got a few lying arond that I'd be happpy to share.

ClaireG 06

I do a mixture of coconut cream and yogurt if i want to make a tomato based sauce a bit more creamy but keep the carbs low. I usually have only a very small amount of rice and a salad on the side.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

Most Indian food is fine as long as you stay away from the breads and rice, I eat home made curries at least twice a week and the only carby contents I eat are:

Basmati rice
Chana Masala - Chick Pea
Onion Bhaji or Samosa

Most other dishes are just trace carbs that I dont even worry about. And my wife or I use a combination of yogurt, coconut milk and or cream depending on the dish.

I only eat a tablespoon full of rice and or Chana Masala, Indian meals are probably the lowest carb foods that I regularly eat.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Sid said:
Indian meals are probably the lowest carb foods that I regularly eat.
...and the tastiest! :wink: I LOVE Indian food.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes

I would like those recipes please Patch.

Jane

Alanej

Both my wife and I follow low carb diets - me because I'm T2, her to keep weight in check (successfully!). We replace indian bread/rice totally with (at home) finely shredded cabbage, steamed for 5 minutes, then tossed in a light olive oil in which a dessert-spoon of garam massala has been fried for a few seconds. This is a sort of cabbage foogath, and works well instead of rice. In restaurants, the spinach bhajee does the trick.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Chicken tikka would be a good option - straight from the clay oven - as it's just chicken marinated over several days in yoghurt and spices?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love saag dishes - a lot lower in fat than using cream and spinach is so good for you - I don't really have a recipe - just fry off whatever veg and meat your using with the spices you like and then at the last 2 minutes add a full bag of spinach and stir until spinach is soft and all mixed in mmmmmmmmm

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
lovinglife said:
I love saag dishes - a lot lower in fat than using cream and spinach is so good for you - I don't really have a recipe - just fry off whatever veg and meat your using with the spices you like and then at the last 2 minutes add a full bag of spinach and stir until spinach is soft and all mixed in mmmmmmmmm

My favourite Indian dish is chicken tikka saag! :D

Nigel

Gratope

Dislikes
Snobs, PC brigade ( Stupid rules and regs )
:roll: . Oh thanks you lot, now I can't wait to make an Indian. ( my favourite food ) thanks for the coconut milk tip. Now THAT sounds good. :roll:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
As a side dish I love Mushroom Bhaji and I have found through hundreds of tastings :lol: this recipe takes some beating. As I cant be bothered to cook with Gee I use olive oil as an alternative.

Ingredients
* 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
* 1 Large Onion---Chopped
* 3 Cloves Garlic Chopped (or buy a Garlic Twist you wont be disappointed - no smelly hands)
* 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric
* 1/2 Teaspoon Chilli Powder
* 1 Teaspoon Coriander
* 1 Teaspoon Cumin
* 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
* 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
* 1/2lb Mushrooms --- Sliced[/list]

Directions
Saute onion until done then add everything else including a little water if necessary, saute until done. Usually takes about 10 minutes.

Serves 4 as side dish

Enjoy

Garlic Twist's are around £10 to £12 pounds in the shops but I just ordered a second one off ebay for £1.65 delivered from China :wink: Search ebay for garlic twist if you are interested. They really are brilliant and I couldnt do without one now

bpD3e38wa1fbzNqyzx9usAOOHhi8CUqaAJ6q-GHyW3AJbRSXCI8_DBDxixi0AFYDZEA9MMgktbH44bgKi9PQDc4eThI2pv7iFFSdeb7a4Fr2DYA9gI7h0sU6UKH2Ughfyzjj6KpA5mgQhZLbjG-sidNH=s90-c

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never heard of a Garlic Twist before Sid :? Just had a look on ebay and they do look useful tool to have in the kitchen.

Nigel

Gratope

Dislikes
Snobs, PC brigade ( Stupid rules and regs )
:p Thanks Sid Bonkers, I have written down your recipe for the onion bhajee, can't wait !! Any more of your recipes ? Please share. :wink: Garlic twist :?:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Gratope said:
:p Thanks Sid Bonkers, I have written down your recipe for the onion bhajee, can't wait !! Any more of your recipes ? Please share. :wink: Garlic twist :?:

I'm putting Sid Bonkers name down for the next series of Masterchef! 8)

Nigel

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ill post the Bonkers recipe for Chicken Jalfrezi when I get back from the supermarket this morning, something to go with the Mushroom Bhaji :)

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Thankyou Sid, keep 'em coming I love a curry.

Patch - howabout your curry recipes?

Jane

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
OK, here is tonights main course...

Chicken Jalfrezi

Serves 2 to 4 people depending on the size of chicken breasts used and portion sizes served.

Ingredients

Spices
1 Teaspoon Turmeric
3 Cloves and 3 Cardamom Pods
1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
2 Teaspoons Ground Coriander
1 Teaspoon Cumin
Garam Masala

Other
2 Chicken Breasts
1 Red Pepper
1 Green Pepper
2 tomatoes
1 Large onion
2 cm Fresh Root Ginger
2 Cloves Garlic
Handful of Coriander Leaves
Cooking Oil
Salt to taste

Preparation

Finely chop the onions and tomatoes, separately.
Finely chop the garlic - Or use a Garlic Twist :)
Finely chop or grate the Ginger
Thickly slice the peppers

Cooking

1. Heat oil in a deep non stick frying pan and fry the cloves and cardamom pods, allow to sizzle (I love that word)
2. Add the chopped onions and fry over a medium heat for 3 minutes
3. Add the garlic and continue to fry for a further 2 minutes.
4. Add the chicken and stir in the turmeric, chilli powder and salt and stir frequently for 5 minutes to prevent sticking.
5. Pour in the tomatoes, mix, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
6. Uncover and allow any excess water to evaporate away on a high heat for about 4 or 5 minutes.
7. Add the ginger, ground coriander and cumin and the sliced peppers, cover again and simmer for a further 5 minutes on a low heat with lid closed.

Garnish: sprinkle with garum masala and chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with Basmati rice and mushroom bhaji, and maybe an onion bhaji if you can tolerate one.

I should add that my wife (Doris Bonkers of course) is the main curry chef in our house and this recipe along with the Mushroom Bhaji is hers not mine.

Edit: Fish out the cloves and cardamom pods before serving or someone will get a nasty shock half way through their diner :D

C

catherinecherub

I am trying this tonight Sid, sounds wonderful.

I am going to substitute the peppers for some mushrooms and cauliflower florets as I am not a lover of peppers. Will give the cauli a bit longer. Will let you know how it turns out.