Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, Am curious to know IF when blood glucose levels get under control does your immune system improve???
As am with my 5th yes 'fifth' lot of antibiotics for throat infection.
This has been ongoing since november last year, GP says its diabetes low immune system due to out of control BG levels.
I do catch coughs, colds, bugs easily . They always start via sore throat and end up upper respiratory infections.
Needing treatment with antibiotics, as I can never fight them off myself!
Clinic have decided to increase my insulin 5units weekly to try and get my BG levels under control.
Also we have changed my levemir injections time too, after I have eaten at lunchtime now, rather than nightly.
Am keeping my victoza injections at 7pm as this works and suits me well.
Anna.x :)

C

catherinecherub

Hi Anna,

It is always much better if you can fight off infections naturally. I am sure that once your blood sugars are at a reasonable level that things will improve. Obviously whilst you have the infection then they will be higher. Seems your team are proactive in trying to sort this out for you.

There are quite a long list of foods that support the immune system.
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=24

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Also prone to upper chest infections think its due to being sat down all the time?
and urine bladder infections from catheter ,GP lets me keep a two weeks antibiotic course at home ready for next one .

BG control for the moment is good touch wood
so far i have been clear of both :) for a while :D

Bob

teresaburr

Hi, i'm speaking on behalf of my 3 year old as she has diabeties, i'm her carer. My daughter Amy has exactly the same issues as you, she is always catching bugs, even a slight cold will turn to a throat infection for Amy and 9/10 she will have to take anti-biotics to clear it up. She always catches whatever is going around and always gets it to a worse degree than others. I have put it down to a low immune system as a result of diabeties and some doctors agree and say that her tolerence to viruses or bugs is just lower than others, however, others say its just her age. But i know its not her age as all the other 3 year olds get over colds etc without needing anti-biotics!

I have spoken to other parents however and not many have the same issues, so i dont think its a given that your immune is low with diabeties, but it definately is in Amys case.

Hope this helps :?

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had what seemed to be a lot of problems with my sinuses and pressure around my eyes last summer / autumn. I then also developed a persistant sore throat and started feeling tired, then losing weight.
When I finally went to the doctors late November my levels were 25, so I guess they were all building up to this.
Now with levels running between 4 and 8 my throat is fine and I have no more sinus problems.
I would guess if you can get your levels lower it will help.
All the best
Angie

jopar

If you're diabetic your immune system is going to be compromised but how much difference it makes I really not sure..

I've nor my hubby has had any particular problems with infections colds.. We've rarely off work with anything and when we worked together we had less time off sick than all our other collegue in a 6 year period I had 3 days off sick because I caught the norvo virus!

Children it's difficult to tell at 3 years old they are being exposed to all sorts of new bugs, germ and viruses as their world starts expanding with nursery etc...

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi everyone.
Am catching up with posts since fighting another sore throat turned into chest infection! My 5th one too.
GP says if the antibiotics dont shift it have to go back and see him.
Told me when get my BS levels under control I "should " have a better improved immune system...
Am now cranking the insulin levels up 5units weekly till BS start to respond.
The fact am on strong antibiotics and yet fighting remains of mucus in chest my BS levels are still high!!
So havent a clue when the increased insulin will finally kick in?
Still coughing and clearing back of throat free of mucus, its a pain!
Thanks for all your advice and posts.
Anna.x :D

iHs

Hi

Anna

I hope you start to feel a bit better over the next few days. For sure, high bg levels provide a lovely feeding ground for infections so try to get your levels lower. Once the antibiotics start working the infection should start to clear but if you get your bg levels lower that will help it clear much quicker. Have you had your Vit D levels checked again since you started supplements? Are your ferretin iron levels ok?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, Am having full fasting Hba1c and lipids, vit D, TFT [thyroid function test] on the 15th august and then see the consultant on the 24th august for my results.
Havent a clue with ferretin iron levels?
Am just doing what am told to do at the moment!
As am fed up with keep catching and fighting illness off. :(
Anna.x

WhitbyJet

Anna, I agree with what iHs just said, it is important that you lower your bg levels. Also antibiotics kill off the bad and the good bacteria in your body, so further attacking an already low immune system.
Eat plenty of low carb vegetables, buy fresh or frozen, frozen can sometimes be healthier as they have been frozen at source, so no lost nutrients there.
Consider probiotics, for example live yoghurt, make your own kefir or fermented vegetables, google for further information.
Use cold pressed oils, nothing with transfats in them, all these things will help to strengthen your immune system.

All the best.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, Am doing ALL of it plus more! some days its like banging my head against the wall thing...
Cant win for the trying! if you see what I mean? :roll:
Some days dont even eat much! :shock:
With having both diverticulitis and coeliac bowel diseases I HAVE to be sooo careful WHAT I eat too.
On a bad day I have a wail then pick myself up and keep going. Have to.
I struggle with just a sandwhich, so luckily adore salads and veg homemade casseroles and soups.
Got a wicked rangemaster and dream kitchen to play in, so that makes it more fun! :lol:
Benecol 'lite' probiotic drinks , flora proactive milk in coffee , activa yogurts only. Etc...
So I do try and do my best.
Anna.

WhitbyJet

(((((Anna)))))
I can well imagine how frustrating it all is, lets hope the blood tests show up soemthing, low Vit D levels cant help either I am sure of it.
You are very brave to battle on as you obviously have been doing for some time now yet you still find time to care about others here in the forum and at home you mentioned you look after your little granddaughter sometimes, so certainly nobody would think you are letting yourself go.

Thinking of you

iHs

Anna

Kefir is very good for the immune system and probably is much cheaper than the supermarket brands you are buying. Kefir looks like lumps of cauliflower if bought from someone who grows it. You put the lumps in some milk on a tabletop and over a few days it will turn to yoghurt and the lumps will get bigger. It is an aquired taste though and usually needs vanila essence etc added to it before drinking. Kefir can also be bought already made into yoghurt drink in supermarkets. It is usually sold in the cold meat section where Polish food is. Sainsburys sell it and I think it's in Tesco.

WhitbyJet

iHs re kefir in supermarkets, someone told me that this is no longer live as its been pasteurised or maybe I am wrong?
I used to make my own kefir a couple of years ago, was interesting I must say.

iHs

Thanks for telling me that Whitby...... I won't bother buying it. I'll just get some more cauli and grow it myself lol

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, thank you both for your help ,advice and hugs too. Needed them! :D
What does kefir 'taste' like? fromage frais??? as a suggestion?
Anna.x