kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(
Hi All

I started the year great, got into a firm routine of treadmill before work for half an hour and Zumba twice a week and was feeling the benefits, unfortunately , was also feeling pain in my knee.

Got my xray results fri and they show arthritis :cry: Now I took the docs advice last month and did no exercise and the pain abated. Now that they have a diagnosis they have told me to lay off all high impact exercise i:e Zumba and running ...and take up swimming! Otherwise I will aggravate the problem and be laid up for longer

My problem is a) I love Zumba and hate swimming b) I need to lose 2 stone to be back at a healthy weight . Is it even possible to lose weight without high impact exercising? I can't think of what to do and I'm feeling very disappointed and upset.

I know diet plays a big part and intend to cut my carbs right back to give me a helping hand but can anyone suggest exercise types? I do walk for miles anyway on a weekend and always have , but have never lost weight from it. I'm at a loss - please help

Thanks
Karen

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Does cycling count as high impact? You could try on the exercise bike at your gym and see how it affects your knees.

When I can afford to go to the gym I also use the pulley system where you lift weights either standing or sitting, or by pushing pads together. Sorry, don't know what it's called :oops: .

If you're doing plenty of walking, lowering your carbs should certainly help shift some weight.

I'm a bit p***ed off at the moment because the doctor would love to refer me to the gym to save me money, but the gym say I can't go on referral because there isn't a qualified instructor on the premises! :roll: I've had the induction and am okay on all the equipment I use; I also have a designed exercise programme! Presumably I'm allowed to die by myself if I'm not referred, but can't be trusted alone if I am! :shock:

Viv :)

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Viv

Thanks for replying. Cycling is out as well apparently (too much load on the knees!) Whatever...i'm starting to come off my downer and around to the 'sod it' way of thinking..and carry on regardless...strap it up and get back on it. Ive ordered some supplements too so hopefully they will help. I'm just annoyed with the trying to lose weight aspect..its hard enough to achieve without not being able to break a sweat !!

Your prob sounds so frustrating! Can't they get an instructer in? I would be as annoyed as you..can't do anything the easy way can they? :mrgreen:

Karen

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I find that exercise bikes, step platforms and other exercisers that require you to bend and stretch your knees are too high impact for my knees !

Resistance bands are quite good for low impact exercise. They cost less than a Tenner as well and don't take up lot of space.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi kareeta, like you I have degenerative arthritis mine is in the lower back (spondylitis) and I am unable to do any exercise, even walking is hard most days although I do try and get out if only to walk round Tesco :lol:

And in answer to to your question "Is it even possible to lose weight without high impact exercising?" Yes definitely, I lost a little over 4 stone by cutting back on carbohydrates and eating less generally.

Arthritis is not the end of the world either, I spent two days on the Isle Of Wight last week and my wife dragged me round Osboune House, a 1 1/2 guided tour and the next day Carisbrook Castle where I managed to walk up the 90 stone stairs to the Keep. I haven't managed to do much since mind but I did walk the dog today and jet wash by back garden path, so though I dont do any exercise I do keep active.

The 90 steps up to the castle keep

90steps.jpg
I quite surprised myself in getting up and down these on top of all the other walking we did :D

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
sugarless sue said:
I find that exercise bikes, step platforms and other exercisers that require you to bend and stretch your knees are too high impact for my knees !

Resistance bands are quite good for low impact exercise. They cost less than a Tenner as well and don't take up lot of space.

Thanks Sue, I already have some of those, will dig them out..the steppers at the gym have always hurt my knees, wish I'd had them checked out sooner -not sure it would have made a difference though

Karen

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sid Bonkers said:
Hi kareeta, like you I have degenerative arthritis mine is in the lower back (spondylitis) and I am unable to do any exercise, even walking is hard most days although I do try and get out if only to walk round Tesco :lol:

And in answer to to your question "Is it even possible to lose weight without high impact exercising?" Yes definitely, I lost a little over 4 stone by cutting back on carbohydrates and eating less generally.

Arthritis is not the end of the world either, I spent two days on the Isle Of Wight last week and my wife dragged me round Osboune House, a 1 1/2 guided tour and the next day Carisbrook Castle where I managed to walk up the 90 stone stairs to the Keep. I haven't managed to do much since mind but I did walk the dog today and jet wash by back garden path, so though I dont do any exercise I do keep active.

Hi Sid

Thanks for the inspiration..and well done on your achievement, its pretty awesome. I can walk about fine, not usually in pain, unless I have done too much and sometimes it feels like it can give way but i'm ok usually. I'm loathe to believe the docs view that I can only make things worse by exercising

Will go back over to the diet side of the forum and see how I can kickstart this thing. Wish me luck

Thanks again
Karen

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I have arthritis in my lower back, both knees and both hips, but I had very little pain before I let the orthopaedic surgeon scrape my right knee :roll: .

My doctor tells me to make sure I exercise otherwise I'll seize up completely, but I'm pretty sure he means walking more rather than anything more strenuous. I've been pretty bad about it since I haven't had a dog, being bone-idle by nature and preference, and statin side-effects haven't helped, but I'm doing a bit more now. They all tell me my arthritis will be better when the weight comes off, but 30lb later it's hurting more than before! Can't win them all, I suppose :lol:

Let us know how you get on, Karen.

Viv :)

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sorry to hear that Viv, you have an awful lot to contend with.

I would hate to think at my age (33) that i'm limited to walking and nothing more exciting than that, not that I was intending to go freerunning mind lol

Will try bits of dvds as well and just cut out the squats/lunges as they hurt anyway

Ta
Karen

chrisy

I have the dreaded arthritis in my knees and back along with a torn medial cartilage. I was advised to loose weight and to now have lost about 30kgs, and still going strong, I use the wii for exercise. As I can take it at the pace I want to go, If I could go slow think I could take on Federer now at tennis, The fit board is a great help to me to. I was told to do mild exercise for the knees not to sit about to much as they would cease up, and movement was good in keeping the diabetes down.
good luck everyone in the weight loss not easy, I know all to well.

jaykay

I use Wii fit with a resistance band and over a long period of time ( 3 times per week for 8 months ) the results have been way better than I would have thought for such a gentle thing. I have to say though, there is jogging in the programme as well but I have always hated running and just walked fast and swung my arms vigorously at first-I do run now though.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Google rosemaryconleytv and go to the exercise section.There are several sets of pilates exercises, some using a resistance band. In the section under the 'expert advice tab' there are exercises particularly for people with specific problems. There is a seated aerobic video and others for exercising with a variety of conditions, including arthritis osteoporosis and back pain, also after after hip or stomach surgery.

TigerBao

When I did Taoist tai chi I was told it's possible for the heart rate to reach aerobic levels, but it's still a low impact exercise. I do notice that after a little while of doing tai chi I have a good sweat on, but I tend to have as deep a stance as I can comfortably manage (you get what you give, and all that.) There are lots of classes throughout England and a few in Wales, though it doesn't have to be specifically Taoist tai chi, but the Taoist form was put together specifically for health.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
phoenix said:
Google rosemaryconleytv and go to the exercise section.There are several sets of pilates exercises, some using a resistance band. In the section under the 'expert advice tab' there are exercises particularly for people with specific problems. There is a seated aerobic video and others for exercising with a variety of conditions, including arthritis osteoporosis and back pain, also after after hip or stomach surgery.

I underwent about a year of physio going once a week, because of the pain that exercise induced in me the exercises they tailored for me where extremely mild. On the two days after each visit I was unable to do any exercise at all and after the year was up I was walking with a stick as my knee kept collapsing, I fell on several occations.

I was then referred to a back rehabilitation course which I attended, and after six weeks there was no improvement other than I realised that physiotherapists dont know what there talking about, on one session we were told that long term chronic pain does not exist and that it was all in our minds :roll:

I have since been to the pain clinic for about ten months and tried various drugs none of which has has proved to be satisfactory, amytriptaline and tramadol made me feel like a zombi so I was in danger of falling down the stairs in the middle of the night when I would inevitably get up because of the pain. Pregabalin just diodnt do anything and Gabapintin worked very well but I put on 4lb in a week and suffered ED :cry:

I was finally prescribed 40g DF118 (dihydrocodeine) two taken four times a day which seems no better than co codomal. I was then discharged as there was nothing further they could do.

Heated gel packs and codeine or cocodamol give the best relief and I seem to have good weeks and bad weeks with no pattern, I just got back from a few days in the Isle of Wight were I did a ton of walking, climbing stairs in Castles etc and although I had some discomfort I managed pretty well, but for no reason I was in considerable pain Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday and then yesterday and this morning I feel fine again with no pain.

It really is maddening when no one can tell me what is wrong, I had a cat scan which identified the spondylitis but was told it wasnt that bad but that I may have a trapped or damaged nerve. I only get pain in one leg and occasionally my lower back and have suffered now for about 5 years so it pre dates my diabetes which kind of rules out diabetic neuropathy.

Anyway back to the point, exercise does not help everyone as I have found out :cry:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anyway back to the point, exercise does not help everyone as I have found out

Sorry about your problem, SId, I''m lucky and have only had a few occasions of very short lived back pain and that's bad enough, chronic back pain must be horrendously debilitating.
To be fair on the website they are very careful in the first video to say that the exercises are designed for those who have been discharged from the hospital care or who for people who have perhaps been standing or gardening and have some degree of back pain. (actually they use the word bad backs although they talk about pain) The exercise are mostly directed towards flexibility and strengthening of the 'core' muscles.

C

catherinecherub

There is a trial going on at a Hospital near me for exercise suitable for rheumatoid arthritis sufferers. It has had very positive results but may have to stop due to lack of funding :roll: . They include Tai Chi and Water Therapy and are hoping to roll this trial out throughout England. "New health scheme aims to ease R.A. with exercise". http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-12893821

helenjb

I too have just been diagnosed with arthiritis. Over the last 6 months I have got fit again - doing lots of jogging etc at the gym and competing in orienteering. This was something I had stopped doing following a slipped disc which caused sciatica and weight gain plus learning I had diabetes. My blood sugars have been undercontrol and I have reduced my medication, as well as losing a couple of stone ( still lots to go). I was loving the orienteering which I find a mental & physical challenge. I took part in a 5 hour adventure race - running / walking, kayaking & mountain biking. Was really pleased as I must have been the fattest person there and came 10th in the ladies section even with a puncture (out of 24 ladies).
After this my knee swelled up & was very painful. I rested it & then went to doctors. About 6 weeks later I have been on prescription antiinflamatory pain killers and had x ray which shows mild osteoarthiritis. Not sure this is the main problem though as still very swollen & I can't get bend or straighten fully my knee.
I feel like my world has fallen apart - was feeling great & on top of the world with the exercise and in control. Now my blood sugars are out of control after 6 weeks of only walking a little and I have already put on 1/2 stone. Really feeling at rock bottom and very sorry for myself. Having read up on internet it looks like things will only get worse with my knees. :(

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
helenjb said:
I took part in a 5 hour adventure race - running / walking, kayaking & mountain biking. Was really pleased as I must have been the fattest person there and came 10th in the ladies section even with a puncture (out of 24 ladies).
I love this as it proves that size doesn't matter it's how fit and determined you are, and I'm sure that drive will get you back on your feet again.

I had nerve damage to my foot which caused knock on problems to knees as I overcompensated etc. I find the cross trainer low impact and nowadays gyms also have those steps that vibrate which are good for exercising all sorts of minor muscles as you adapt to balance on them. I did build up from low weights on the resistance machines so I had the strength to start playing badminton and remain uninjured.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Helen,
Not sure this is the main problem though as still very swollen & I can't get bend or straighten fully my knee.
I should get that knee checked out again.

If it is mild osteoarthritis then exercise will be beneficial.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Arthritis/ ... rcise.aspx
You can always walk round an orienteering course, just go for a slightly shorter course than you'd do if you were run/walking.
I miss orienteering, I live in France and although they orienteer here it seems to be far less inclusive than in the UK . When my children were growing up we used to go most Sundays and go up to Scotland and the Lakes for multi day events.