1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low insulin to carb ratio?

Discussion in 'Children & Teens' started by LeighBee38, Jun 14, 2017.

1. LeighBee38

LeighBee38 Type 1 · Member

Parents of type 1 children. What's your child's insulin to carb ratio? My little boy is 4 and I feel like his I:C ratio is quite low for his age. He's 1:15 for breakfast and 1:20 for lunch and dinner. Anyone else's 4 year old on similar, or are you all 1:30?

Thanks. Xxx

2. CathP

CathP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, my daughter is 6, dx 18 months ago at age 4. Her ratios are 1:10 for breakfast and 1:14 for lunch and dinner and have been pretty much since the start. Whatever ratio is needed to keep blood sugars level is the right one for your child.x

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I assumed wee kiddies actually needed quite small doses, like 1:30......

1:15 and 20 are closer to what some adults may use typically.....

sounds fine to me....;)

4. LeighBee38

This is my worry, what happens when(if) 1:1 isn't enough?

5. LeighBee38

Thank you.
    I think sometimes

6. novorapidboi26

You shouldn't really be worried......

If 1:1 inst enough you would give more......I am assuming your 1:1 means 1 unit per 10g

I was an extreme case and I am a grown man but i was on 3:1 in the morning before the pump.....

7. TorqPenderloin

TorqPenderloin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that I've ever seen any studies or science to suggest that you necessarily become more insulin resistant after childhood.

Some children may have a more sensitive insulin: carb ratio because they're honeymooning and their pancreas still produces some insulin.

Children may eat less and may be more active which could make their total daily insulin needs lower than an adult, but I'm not aware of anything that says your insulin:carb ratios will become less sensitive.

8. LeighBee38

Thank you for your reply.

I mean 1 unit to 1g of carbs. I've spoken to a couple of mums and one child is 1 unit to 2.5 carbs in the morning.

Is 3:1 3 units to one carb, or the other way around?

9. novorapidboi26

I am not sure if that is right to be honest......1 unit per gram would result in a very large insulin dose...

are you maybe working in carb portions like they teach in DAFNE...? so 10g = 1 carb poriton

the 3:1 i was referring to was 3 unit per 10g [1 carb portion].....

10. Namztorb

Namztorb · Member

My son is 7, diagnosed 10 months ago. His ratios are 1:9 at breakfast, 1:16 at lunch and dinner. Insulin to carb ratios just are what they are. Your child needs what he needs to survive and be healthy. His needs will change over time, but not only in one direction. My son I:C ratios are changed every few weeks at the moment, sometimes even more frequently, but it's not just to increase the dose, sometimes a change in the other direction is needed.

There really is nothing to be gained or achieved by comparing ratios with other children, or by worrying about it. Type 1 brings enough worries without losing sleep over this too. You can't control it, you don't need to control it, so what is there to be gained by worrying about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook