Low/non alcoholic beers

Tony

I have type 1 diabetes recently diagnosed, and noticed in a pack of information given to me that included the dire warnings about too much alcohol, was a caution about drinking low/non alcohol beers as they have a higher sugar content than regular beers.

Before my diabetes diagnosis I used to enjoy Becks and St Pauli non-alcohol beers, even though I drank other alcoholic beverages. Does anyone know whether these low/non alcoholic beers are indeed of a higher sugar content than most alcoholic beers.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Tony,

I found these guidelines for diabetics in the Vegan Society website

Don't drink on an empty stomach or miss a meal so you can have a drink
- If you drink beer or lager, choose ordinary ones preferably with an alcohol content of less than 5%.
- Low sugar 'diet' beers and lagers tend to be higher in alcohol and are best avoided.
- Use sugar-free or slimline mixers
- Choose medium/dry varieties of wines or sherry

Alcohol can cause hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar level). Drinking alcohol also makes it harder to recognise a hypo and recover from it.
You may also be at risk of having a hypo up to several hours after drinking alcohol. It is therefore important to have something to eat with your drink or shortly afterwards.

Does that help at all?

Tony

Dennis - Thank you for the information; it was helpful and hopefully will be of assistance to other diabetics. It seems to confirm what I was told that genrally non/low alcohol beers are indeed bad for diabetics due to their high sugar content. Does anyone know of a particular brand which does have a lower sugar content?

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Hi Tony,

All the other info is pretty sound, especially that most if not all low alcohol beer is higher in sugar. It is lower in alcohol because the sugar hasn't fermented. When sugar (and other stuff) is added in the brewing of beer or lager, the whole thing takes time to ferment the sugar(with the help of yeast) turns to alcohol. The process is 'stopped' earlier than usual and you get the low alcohol/higher sugar stuff, which isn't always hugely satisfying.

Beer and lager tend to up your sugars quicker than white wine and certainly red wine. A glass or two of red wine often helps in reducing sugar levels but more and it will increase them.

If you ever fancy a Gin and Tonic (diet), adding a drop or two of Angostura Bitters gives it a kick and has a good adult taste. This is where the old Pink Gin comes from. Some find it acceptable without the Gin! Similarly, diet lemonade with a slice of cuspamber makes it a bit more grown up.

Good luck,

Russ

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
I think cuspamber must be c u c u m b e r with the seeds removed!! ;)

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
What a ninny I am! Actually, though, you don't have to remove the seeds from the cuspamber - he-hee. Try it.

Russ