GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Hi All,
I was diagnosed in late May. I've been testing for about a month and following a strict LCHF regime. It's quite clear to me that my diabetes has been caught early - I have had no symptoms, it was only found in a routine check-up and my BGs very quickly came down to normal range once I started LCHF. I was prescribed 2 metformin daily plus statins for cholesterol. I've stopped taking statins and reduced the metformin to just 1 per day (yet to discuss this with GP)

My normal fasting BG is between 4.5 - 5.0. This morning it was 4.0. Breakfast was bulletproof coffee (2 tablespoons each of butter & coconut oil.) 2 hours later my BG is 3.8. Question - is that good or bad?

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting towards bad since below 4 is considered a hypo but then your meter accuracy may mean that the reading is not that low. On the other hand ............ Probably best not to go that low especially if you get feelings of vagueness, headaches or the shakes.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,
I was diagnosed in late May. I've been testing for about a month and following a strict LCHF regime. It's quite clear to me that my diabetes has been caught early - I have had no symptoms, it was only found in a routine check-up and my BGs very quickly came down to normal range once I started LCHF. I was prescribed 2 metformin daily plus statins for cholesterol. I've stopped taking statins and reduced the metformin to just 1 per day (yet to discuss this with GP)

My normal fasting BG is between 4.5 - 5.0. This morning it was 4.0. Breakfast was bulletproof coffee (2 tablespoons each of butter & coconut oil.) 2 hours later my BG is 3.8. Question - is that good or bad?

Geoffers - My diagnosis profile was similar to yours; diabetic numbers, but no symptoms and carrying a bit of extra padding, but not too much. Similarly my numbers came into line pretty rapidly.

I run in the 3s a lot, and feel absolutely fine. When I go into the 2s, I'm usually hungry, or it's during the night, when I'm asleep (I have Libre data to inform me of those lows).

Provided you feel OK, I would be completely unconcerned to be in the 3s. It might be time to think about losing the rest of the Metformin, but that's my feeling, obviously not medical advice.

When are you next due an HbA1c? If you were diagnosed in May, it must be sometime soon?

My HbA1cs since diagnosis are in my signature, it'll be interesting to see if you follow that track-ish. I found as I trimmed up, my bloods notched down. As my bloods notched so did my BP, and whilst my total lipids are still a scary bit number, the constituent parts inform me they're in great shape too. I have never taken any diabetes, or associated medications.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Thanks AndBreathe. That's reassuring to know.

My HbAc1 test is next Friday, and a follow-up meeting with Diabetes Nurse to discuss on Sep 7th. If the results come out as well as I hope then I'll look to come off metformin completely. I'll also get the full numbers from my inital tests as I was a bit shell-shocked at the time and didn't take it in properly. When I get them I'll put them in my signature, too.

Squire - I take the point about meter accuracy and I'm not going to get too worked up about a single reading. If it starts being a pattern then I might do something... maybe eat one of those sausage rolls I've been lusting after!