Type 2 Low sugar before bed

WestieLove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good evening I am new here. My glucose before bed is 4.9 a little worried sorry to ask a question before introducing ,yself properly but cant help but worry its too low before bed

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Never worry about asking questions. There are no daft ones.

Before anyone can answer that question we need to know what diabetes medication you are on as this may make a difference.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @WestieLove personally speaking I prefer to go to bed with a range above 5.5, as long as your quick acting insulin is depleted and your taking the right basal dose then realistically you should be waking around the same level. At 4.9 I would definately have a biscuit before bed and if you still have quick acting insulin on board then yes you could go low during the night so eating carbs such as a biscuit before bed would be advisable, and if still concerned set your alarm to test at 3am. Hope this helps ?

WestieLove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you, i will test again at 3 am.
I am new at this insulin thing. I was on tablet only since diagnosis 2005. Beggining of december i was really ill. I couldnt understand what was wrong with me. Went to hospital it was dka its insulin after. Had no chance to ask question with my dn they are extremely busy. Been gettin a lot of lows lately too. I cut out all snacks i just have 3 main meals and sugar free jelly. To be honest i am always starving :(

Reactions: Freema

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thank you, i will test again at 3 am.
I am new at this insulin thing. I was on tablet only since diagnosis 2005. Beggining of december i was really ill. I couldnt understand what was wrong with me. Went to hospital it was dka its insulin after. Had no chance to ask question with my dn they are extremely busy. Been gettin a lot of lows lately too. I cut out all snacks i just have 3 main meals and sugar free jelly. To be honest i am always starving :(

Sorry to hear of your lows. Have you had a confirmed type 1 diagnosis from your DKA episode ? Your hunger can be a result of the fact your body has been starved of glucose for a while so is trying to replace stores, it will go.

You need to get back in touch with your DN again to review your insulin doses as your taking too much and it's important to avoid the lows as much as you can, although it is inevitable you will get them, but your doses and regime will need to be reviewed.

In the meantime lots of testing and record your results to show them. Testing at 3am is when you are at your lowest BG point during the night so a quick test will determine that you are ok and can sleep through till morning, I hope you have some fast acting glucose on your bedside too ? Lucozade, jelly babies, glucogel that type of thing.

Hope your ok, let us know how you get on :)

WestieLove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I test before meals and before i sleep. I will call my dn tomorrow. I am thnakful that i found this site. I was feeling alone and very lonely. My friends have stopped inviting me as tney feel guilty eating around me. I have not been out of the house since dec. this insulin thing that keeps me alive has also manage to ruin the life i knew. So very sad really

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have an insulin pump now but when I was on injections I never went to bed below 6.

I often set an alarm too to make sure all was ok during the night. It helped me sleep because it was reassuring.

So yes, personally I'd eat a small snack at that level.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been gettin a lot of lows lately too. I cut out all snacks i just have 3 main meals and sugar free jelly. To be honest i am always starving
. I have not been out of the house since dec. this insulin thing that keeps me alive has also manage to ruin the life i knew. So very sad really

If your having a lot of lows perhaps your fixed 10 units three times a day was calculated for when you were snacking?

There's no reason you can't eat on insulin. Ask your DSN about carb counting and adjusting your insulin dose to suit what you are eating, there's a free course online for this - http://www.bertieonline.org.uk

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I test before meals and before i sleep. I will call my dn tomorrow. I am thnakful that i found this site. I was feeling alone and very lonely. My friends have stopped inviting me as tney feel guilty eating around me. I have not been out of the house since dec. this insulin thing that keeps me alive has also manage to ruin the life i knew. So very sad really

Sorry to hear that, it's a lonely time when you are diagnosed, there's new information to learn and it's getting used to insulin and getting well again, support is vital, that's why a conversation with your DN is so important. You've got some new type 1 friends here so don't feel alone. Hope you went through the night ok :)

WestieLove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry to hear of your lows. Have you had a confirmed type 1 diagnosis from your DKA episode ? Your hunger can be a result of the fact your body has been starved of glucose for a while so is trying to replace stores, it will go.

You need to get back in touch with your DN again to review your insulin doses as your taking too much and it's important to avoid the lows as much as you can, although it is inevitable you will get them, but your doses and regime will need to be reviewed.

In the meantime lots of testing and record your results to show them. Testing at 3am is when you are at your lowest BG point during the night so a quick test will determine that you are ok and can sleep through till morning, I hope you have some fast acting glucose on your bedside too ? Lucozade, jelly babies, glucogel that type of thing.

Hope your ok, let us know how you get on :)

The hospital thought i was misdiagnosed as type 2, they did a test and i really am a type 2.
After the dka knowing how i felt then, i am now scared to eat. I eat 3 meals a day now no snacks.
I am waiting for my dn to call me back. Last night i tested around 3 it was 5.3
Thank you all for your help. I would have been so lost if i hadnt found this site.

Reactions: azure

WestieLove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If your having a lot of lows perhaps your fixed 10 units three times a day was calculated for when you were snacking?

There's no reason you can't eat on insulin. Ask your DSN about carb counting and adjusting your insulin dose to suit what you are eating, there's a free course online for this - http://www.bertieonline.org.uk
I have been booked for the carb counting 6th of March.
Since discharged from hospital i have stopped snacking.

MelissaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After the dka knowing how i felt then, i am now scared to eat. I eat 3 meals a day now no snacks.

Hi @WestieLove

Please don't be scared to eat! I know how you feel though, when I was first diagnosed I was limiting what I was eating and deliberately not finishing meals because I felt guilty. My mum cottoned on (I was 16 at the time) and told my consultant and now I don't worry so much!

I think when you go on your carb counting course that will help you massively as you'll be able to adjust your insulin doses according to the carbs you are eating. This means you can have your snacks in between meals and inject insulin accordingly to cover what you've eaten.

Maybe it might be best for you to see a diabetes nurse before your carb counting course for some advice?

Melissa x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @WestieLove Glad you're ok :)

Good advice from others about snacking, try not to restrict yourself too much until you can see your Nurse again and review your insulin requirements. It will get better, but please ask away if you have questions, lots of understanding members here who can help you ;)

WestieLove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @WestieLove Glad you're ok :)

Good advice from others about snacking, try not to restrict yourself too much until you can see your Nurse again and review your insulin requirements. It will get better, but please ask away if you have questions, lots of understanding members here who can help you ;)
What snacks am i allowed? I have not seen my dietecian yet.
Hunger is what i am used to now :(

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What snacks am i allowed? I have not seen my dietecian yet.
Hunger is what i am used to now :(

Hi Westie, as your insulin requirements will be based on eating carbs, then you should be eating some, so say fruit for instance like an apple, banana, peach, pear etc, however if you don't want to worry about what you're eating and the impact on your blood sugars then stuff like cheese, nuts, olives, pork scratchings, or chop up carrots, cucumber, celery are fine, as well as protein so boiled eggs, chicken/meat, fish.

It's really just getting used to seeing the impact on your blood glucose levels, so recording your meter results, keeping a food/BG diary will help you discover more about what you eat and seeing the impact on your levels.

No need to feel hungry though hun :)

WestieLove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Westie, as your insulin requirements will be based on eating carbs, then you should be eating some, so say fruit for instance like an apple, banana, peach, pear etc, however if you don't want to worry about what you're eating and the impact on your blood sugars then stuff like cheese, nuts, olives, pork scratchings, or chop up carrots, cucumber, celery are fine, as well as protein so boiled eggs, chicken/meat, fish.

It's really just getting used to seeing the impact on your blood glucose levels, so recording your meter results, keeping a food/BG diary will help you discover more about what you eat and seeing the impact on your levels.

No need to feel hungry though hun :)
I hope this will all get better. I am very depressed. The life i had is all gone now. My fear of needles worse than ever. When i inject or prick my finger i feel dizzy, i feel like i am going to puke.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I hope this will all get better. I am very depressed. The life i had is all gone now. My fear of needles worse than ever. When i inject or prick my finger i feel dizzy, i feel like i am going to puke.

Try and take each day as it comes, there's a lot to take in but it does get easier in time. I too didn't like finger pricks or injecting to start with but somehow manged to distract myself each time I did it and so I learnt how to switch off so it didn't bother me, try thinking of something you love doing, this too will become an autopilot action in time. The more you think things over the more it will get to you. This is also another good reason you should speak to your DN, you need to tell them everything so they understand what you're going through.