Low sugars on waking

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been waking up recently with low blood sugar. I only have 1 unit Lantus before bed, but 2 Novorapid before my last meal. Should I reduce the latter to 1 unit?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If your bed-time readings are fine then you wake up low (provided your bolus dose is exhausted before bed) then its your lantus dose that needs reduced, but taking just 1 unit would mean you purchasing a half unit pen, I believe the JuniorStar pen takes lantus cartridges and is available on the NHS.

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your bed-time readings are fine then you wake up low (provided your bolus dose is exhausted before bed) then its your lantus dose that needs reduced, but taking just 1 unit would mean you purchasing a half unit pen, I believe the JuniorStar pen takes lantus cartridges and is available on the NHS.

Thanks. Bed time readings are good so will ask GP for half unit JuniorStar

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Gosh, you're very insulin sensitive... Are you honeymooning? Or maybe very young...?

-- also are you carb counting and do you know your insulin to carb ratios? Have you spoken to you DSN about your lows too?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is a member of another support forum who actually went to having no basal overnight.........

so it can be done, you would just need to see what half a unit does......

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was like you and took a very minimal amount of Lantus before bed and still had low blood sugars. I was told just to stop taking it at night altogether.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been waking up recently with low blood sugar. I only have 1 unit Lantus before bed, but 2 Novorapid before my last meal. Should I reduce the latter to 1 unit?

Just asking .... Do you take a split dose of Lantus?
Occasionally, I wake with low BG. I take 18 units of Lantus on waking in the morning, and that lasts me until the same time the next morning.
Even after good advice from you all on the forum, I'm still not very clear about how to adjust my doses. At the moment though, I'm on a fairly even keel, so not currently changing anything.
If you don't mind me asking, what is your total Lantus per day?

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I'm a bit aghast here! I'm like "one unit? Are you sure you're diabetic?" . I wish I was on such tiny doses!

Of course I am Diabetic, otherwise I would not have asked for information! I see what you are getting at though.

Just asking .... Do you take a split dose of Lantus?
Occasionally, I wake with low BG. I take 18 units of Lantus on waking in the morning, and that lasts me until the same time the next morning.
Even after good advice from you all on the forum, I'm still not very clear about how to adjust my doses. At the moment though, I'm on a fairly even keel, so not currently changing anything.
If you don't mind me asking, what is your total Lantus per day?

My total Lantus per day, at the moment, is 1 unit. However, this varies according to my sugar readings.
Hi,

What readings are you getting before bed & when waking?

My bedtime reading is 6.3 or 7.0, my waking reading is around 4.4 to 6.0 it varies. It was too high recently so I had to adjust and was given a half unit pen Novoecho, for bolus of course. As already written, am going to ask for a half unit basal pen.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Thanks for the reply @lollyann1 Is 4.4mmol the lowest you have tested in the morning?

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Of course I am Diabetic, otherwise I would not have asked for information! I see what you are getting at though.

My total Lantus per day, at the moment, is 1 unit. However, this varies according to my sugar readings.

My bedtime reading is 6.3 or 7.0, my waking reading is around 4.4 to 6.0 it varies. It was too high recently so I had to adjust and was given a half unit pen Novoecho, for bolus of course. As already written, am going to ask for a half unit basal pen.
Sorry, I was joking! Or marvelling at your doses!

Reactions: 4 people

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, I was joking! Or marvelling at your doses!

It's ok. It is just difficult adjusting the dose of
I have to admit. The dose is less than an "airshot" for most of us.. :D

But it is all about sorting the low..

I know. It all started off when I had most of my Pancreas removed. I was lucky, I managed to stay Diabetes free until a couple of years ago when I was diagnosed as T2. Then, my remaining Pancreatic function took a steep dive until there was nil function. I ended up in Hospital after a bout of Ketoacidosis. Then I was put on Insulin. The initial prescribed amount of Units proved far too high and It's been cat and mouse ever since then. Like most people with T1 I suppose. A while ago my sugars were too high so I had to taper the Insulin accordingly. Now the warmer weather is here again sugars have gone low, however, last Summer they were too high!

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's ok. It is just difficult adjusting the dose of

I know. It all started off when I had most of my Pancreas removed. I was lucky, I managed to stay Diabetes free until a couple of years ago when I was diagnosed as T2. Then, my remaining Pancreatic function took a steep dive until there was nil function. I ended up in Hospital after a bout of Ketoacidosis. Then I was put on Insulin. The initial prescribed amount of Units proved far too high and It's been cat and mouse ever since then. Like most people with T1 I suppose. A while ago my sugars were too high so I had to taper the Insulin accordingly. Now the warmer weather is here again sugars have gone low, however, last Summer they were too high!
Mmmm. Your case is interesting. It does sound like you might have some active beta cells lurking about somewhere! I do hope they can encourage each other and grow back!