Low sugars

kelmarie1983

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
I have a 9 year old boy and he has had type 1 for 6 years now. Last weekend he had his first ever seizure he has had lows before but this was different. He has been ok for the first couple of days but yesterday he was low and no matter what i have given him as in sweets ice cream popcorn as he was at a sleepover with school nothing brought him up until 11.50 last night but still only 10.4 at 1.15am he was 10.7 and then this morning at 6.30 he was back at 2.5. I have given him minimum insulin for food but still not coming up. Has anyone had experience of this and can give any advice as like I said this isn't normal.

Trish_Clarky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. Poor thing, it's so hard at such a young age. It does sound rather unusual and the only reason I could offer as a possible cause is too much slow acting insulin. I'm a teacher and the staff at school should have been trained thoroughly in his needs but perhaps they've acidentally given him a litle too much?

kelmarie1983

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. thank you. Yes this has happened before that bloods were read wrong from the sensor but no this time i was with him all day as i am feeling very nervous about getting him out of my sight. I thought if it was going to happen again i wanted to be there. I even gave him lower amounts of insulin just to try and keep him above 4 but it didn't seem to work. I just feel so uptight and stressed as i don't know what to do

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi and welcome to the forum @kelmarie1983

There's a thread running in the type 1 section of the forum where members are discussing how the heat is effecting their bg levels, many of us have found that we've had to reduce our insulin usage to prevent low bg levels whilst its been hot.

All I would suggest is you speak with his DSN and ask for their input, but for bad hypo's liquid glucose is best to treat them and get bg levels back up, things like full sugar Coke/Lucozade or Glucojuice which you can buy on-line or in the likes of Boots. Ice-cream isn't the best treatment for a hypo due to the fat content. Best wishes.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I have a 9 year old boy and he has had type 1 for 6 years now. Last weekend he had his first ever seizure he has had lows before but this was different. He has been ok for the first couple of days but yesterday he was low and no matter what i have given him as in sweets ice cream popcorn as he was at a sleepover with school nothing brought him up until 11.50 last night but still only 10.4 at 1.15am he was 10.7 and then this morning at 6.30 he was back at 2.5. I have given him minimum insulin for food but still not coming up. Has anyone had experience of this and can give any advice as like I said this isn't normal.

Definitely speak to his DSN. It could be his basal needs lowering if this wasn't just a one-off.

If he keeps on having unexpected hypos, you might want to ask about a coeliac screen as occasionally that can be a cause of lows.

I hope he's ok and you get it sorted. It must have been terrifying.