"lower carb potatoes"? Celeriac!!

banjo brunette

These days when I think "lower carb potato" I think CELERIAC: chips, mash, etc, Yum. I've quite gone off tatties :wink: However, I keep getting different carb values for celeriac. Can anyone give me a definitive answer? It doesn't seem to do my BG any harm but my husband is low-carbing to lose weight and celeriac is off the menu until I get an answer...

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
According to the Calorie,Carb and Fat bible 2010 Celeriac is :

Boiled in salted water 28gm per serving = 1.9gm of carb per 100gm

Raw, average. 9.2 gm carbs per 100gms.

banjo brunette

Hi Sue
many thanks - that's the sort of answer I was hoping for :wink: I think I may have to invest in the Calorie, Carb and Fat bible as the little Collins carb counter, while petite and portable, sometimes seems to have "odd" figures quoted. It's on my Amazon wish list.
Cheers, BB :D

Dobbs

I'm also really glad to have discovered celeriac as I now make shepherd's pie with a mashed celeriac topping rather than potato. Very nice with a bit of grated cheese thrown in, and/or blue cheese if you fancy it a bit special. I used to use cauliflower for the same purpose, which is also good, but celeriac is even better. :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
banjo brunette said:
Hi Sue
many thanks - that's the sort of answer I was hoping for :wink: I think I may have to invest in the Calorie, Carb and Fat bible as the little Collins carb counter, while petite and portable, sometimes seems to have "odd" figures quoted. It's on my Amazon wish list.

Our resident Dietician Ally also reckons this one (CC&FB) is better than the Collins Gem books. I agree.

Over time here we have had many discrepancies in the Collins Gem books, e-mails to the Publisher's always are ignored. So I don't recommend anybody to use it now unless you specifically want a 'pocket' version. If they aren't bothered then neither am I going to recommend them. As with Sue, it's the Calorie, Carb and Fat Bible 2010 for me. It has the advantage of being updated every year, which the Collins books aren't !

banjo brunette

Dobbs said:
I'm also really glad to have discovered celeriac as I now make shepherd's pie with a mashed celeriac topping rather than potato. Very nice with a bit of grated cheese thrown in, and/or blue cheese if you fancy it a bit special. I used to use cauliflower for the same purpose, which is also good, but celeriac is even better. :D

Hi Dobbs
I've just had dinner and made a mash of celeriac, cauliflower, fried onions and loads of cream and mature cheddar cheese, all very roughly mashed together - smashing. Ate it with some nice meaty sausages.

Feebiecat

Hiya

I hope I don't sound too much like a divvy but I've never had celeriac before and wouldn't know one was if it sat on me!

What does it taste like (am thinking celery because of the name but the reference to taty sustitute made me think not!)?

Feebs
x

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Feebiecat said:
Hiya

I hope I don't sound too much like a divvy but I've never had celeriac before and wouldn't know one was if it sat on me!
Yes, you would - its the really ugly root veg.

What does it taste like (am thinking celery because of the name but the reference to taty sustitute made me think not!)?
It does have a celery taste, but you use it like potato, parsnip or carrot.
What is a divvy :?:

Feebs
x

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
IanD said:
What is a divvy :?: [/color]

Divvy........
Used usually as a Harmless Insult.

Usually meaning silly / stupid / idiot.
but in a harmless non threatening way
Eg: 'You forgot the flight path again? lol your such a Divvy!'

There were a few more definitions Ian, however this is a Family site ......... :shock:

Dobbs

Ugly?? Some of those celeriacs can be damned attractive, you know. :lol:
I really like banjo brunette's suggestion of mixing it with a bit of cauliflower, which I tried yesterday for lunch. Takes a bit of the edge off it.

banjo brunette

I'm not all that fond of celery per se but I'm getting to be really fond of celeriac. In Wales we make stwnch (potato and swede mashed together with loads of butter and a bit of milk - I think the Scots do something similar) and to be honest going low-carb and facing a stwnch-free existence was a bleak prospect. However, I've found that celeriac and swede together is low-carb AND yummy so I'm happy :D
Spread the word wherever you can about celeriac!!!

Reactions: Bentley_Robinson

mariancoral

I grow my own celeriac in the garden much cheaper and organic.Sow in a seed tray then plant out in the summer and harvest all through the winter (except in the snow of course)

Cazz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just found out how to pronounce celeriac (sell-air-ee-ack) not celery-ack!! Found this video on youtube which looks nice. Obviously you can replace the potatoes with swede or whatever, and the milk with soy milk or cream. Going to buy a gratin dish today :D
[youtube]e-wGJ0Ai1sM[/youtube]

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Ho Coca cola :)

Vivaldi potatoes are a lovely waxy salad potato - but test, test, test! I still can't handle them even if they are very slightly lower carb. :(

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Does anyone know an approx cost of celeriac? Is it cheap or more expensive than buying say a baked potato?

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
They are much larger than baking potatoes. The cost of the celeriac I have at the moment is £1.22 (at £1.40 per kilo). Don't know the price of potatoes as we don't buy them; OH grows his own! :) Celeriac didn't do too well. :roll:

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Just wondering if you just cook celeriac in the way as you would cook potatos, may sound like a daft question, but really not sure :oops:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hppr Hi
I roast celariac in the same way as spuds I cut them into pieces and par boil first then roast in hot oil in hot oven. I have just made fish pie using celariac I put it sliced over one piece of fish per person cover with cheese sauce and bake in oven for about 45 mins.I also make mash with it same as spuds lots of butter and pepper .
CAROL