Lower protein= lower weight

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
@DaftThoughts i am interested in this protein raising sugars topic. So if protein raises sugars, mightnt you just aswell eat some carbs with protein and still get the same rise?

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@DaftThoughts i am interested in this protein raising sugars topic. So if protein raises sugars, mightnt you just aswell eat some carbs with protein and still get the same rise?
That's my personal experience, yes. Protein doesn't rise me and I'm assuming it's because I eat moderate carbs and cycle several times a week; my body uses the carbs for fuel so it doesn't need to convert proteins to fuel and just uses it as building blocks instead. When you low carb there are parts of the body that can't use fat as fuel, so protein is turned into glucose for that. That's why you fall out of ketosis if your protein intake is too high.

I'm not a doctor or a scientist, but that's what I've found in research and is supplemented by my own experiences.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I find protein in the absence of carbs raises me, so I have to bolus for the protein, but the same amount of protein with carbs can be ignored and just the carbs bolused for.

I've read that that's a common response - in the absence of carbs a body will do its d*mndest to squeeze some glucose out of the protein.

That's why I eat moderate carbs and moderate protein.

Reactions: Lesleywo

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I find protein in the absence of carbs raises me, so I have to bolus for the protein, but the same amount of protein with carbs can be ignored and just the carbs bolused for.

I've read that that's a common response - in the absence of carbs a body will do its d*mndest to squeeze some glucose out of the protein.

That's why I eat moderate carbs and moderate protein.
Me too azure.
I wonder if the insulin is making the difference?
For me I'm covered by insulin, majority of the time. No meds type2s may not have that luxury.
I've tried no med type2 treatment but I'm in 10+ bgs rising to 20+ bgs after a while.
Insulin covering my food converts protein too. Too little insulin and I get high bgs on protein low carb diet.
So I have to have moderate carb and moderate protein with enough insulin to get good bgs, energy and healthy immune.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'll mention this with endo this afternoon. It never used to be that way. Somethings changed.
Type2s should monitor what their eating against bg results and if lower protein giving better ideal bgs, but individual isn't underweight, its a winner!
Underweight type2s should keep healthy levels of protein. Your heart muscle depends on it. Joints and good movement in later years has to be considered.
Once muscle density lost it can be a hard job getting it back, in latter years. This is when its needed the most. Look after healthy muscles by keeping carbs low to moderate. Low if looking for weight loss too.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your concern but it's only 2 pounds. A glass of water weighs 2 pounds.

And coincidentally the scale was up a bit today. Weight fluctuating is very normal, especially around hormone time which i never know when that is as I'm post mono but still get the hormone hair on my chin and some other weird things ( like chocolate, cheese and Guinness foam cravings lol).

@Kristin251 may I ask. Do you weigh yourself daily?

I've been LCHF for 3 years now and feel I know my way round most foods that suit me, but only weigh myself once a week, on the same day of the week, at the same time of day, just to monitor my progress.

Daily weight monitoring with your knowledge of nutrition and understanding of what suits you, would surely be unnecessary?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do and always have but it does not dictate what I eat in my day. If it's up or down I eat according to what my body asks. If I'm hungry, I eat, if I'm not I don't ( well yes I do but maybe not as many snacks)
It's more of a habit from my younger years. It is also i guide to inflammation for me. I have a lot of food intolerances.

Please....I am not obsessive over my weight!!! I am obsessive over my food because I don't like to be in pain. Surely that's understandable.

I don't eat fish and chips, biscuits, toast, porridge, sweets etc because they cause me pain. I'm not going to get fat on quality proteins, an array of organic veggies, avocado, olive oil, mayo and some nuts and pumpkin seeds.
This is why when people adopt a low carb healthy diet they lose weight. I did 25 years ago and have been stable ever since.

By the way, scale is up to 122. I'm not swearing it in the least and will continue to eat as my body asks.

That was a great story. I almost had carpal tunnel surgery on my wrists right before going low carb 25 years ago. No problems what so ever with it at 52. So many other great benefits and lousy symptoms gone like fatigue, severe back pain, cold sores, colds and flus, burning feet, etc. It was a long time ago, I'm sure there's more. Obviously low carb suits me.