Lowered lantus and novo rapid and still low

Grimm90999

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was ill over last weekend and since then I have been experiencing low BG readings of around 4 whereas I am normal running at a stable 6.
I have lowered my basal (lantus) from 17 units to 13 units (20% decrease) to raise it during fasting but all it does is drop still. At breakfast today I had 50g carb and didn't take any novorapid and there wasn't even the slightest raise in BG, was 4.9 before and after 1 hour of eating I was 5.1.
At lunch I had 70g of carb and no novo rapid and was 4.3 before but only 6.2 after.
3 ours after lunch I was back to 4.8 still with no novo rapid.

Before I was ill I was having to have 17 units of lantus a night and 1 unit of novo rapid for every 12.5g of carbs

I don't understand what is going on at all. Starting to worry as always dropping low and never raising

Anyone got an idea?

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was also ill last week, and was having several low blood sugars. It is the first time i have experienced it, but it was due to me not eating much. I rang my nurse who gave me advice

Grimm90999

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have upped my eating for the last few days but still not getting any higher even with no bolus being taken

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you by any chance still in the honeymoon period? If so, your pancreas is producing some insulin, causing the lower BGs. If you're well and truly out of the honeymoon period, try reducing your basal further (as long as you definitely aren't getting any high BGs). If you're concerned, a call to your DSN is in order. You shouldn't have to feed your insulin!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Big readings of around 4? So are you actually going hypo? If so continue reducing Lantaus to avoid hypos. It's probably worth doing some careful testing to check you aren't missing highs. If not, enjoy being in range while your body fighting off the illness has made you particularly insulin sensitive.

Grimm90999

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been diagnosed for 7 months. I am still in honeymoon atm. Just concerns as I can't raise it. I work in hot kitchens as a chef so am going hypo fairly frequently in a day. Been testing constantly between 1 and 1 1/2 hours.

Grimm90999

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I do hold very tight control over my numbers so now just worried as nothing I working the way it was. To the point I have sat there and wondered if I am even a diabetic

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do hold very tight control over my numbers so now just worried as nothing I working the way it was. To the point I have sat there and wondered if I am even a diabetic

7 months on insulin and now there's a sudden change and you question the 7 months rather than the recent sudden change? Realistically, if you've been managing well on insulin for 7 months it's probably safe to assume you are diabetic. Illness can and does do funny things to blood sugar, including sending you lower. You are still pretty recently diagnosed and in prime honeymoon period - maybe fighting off the illness gave your immune system something constructive to do, distracted it from killing off your beta cells for a while and that bit of breathing space has given beta cells a chance to function and make insulin. That's what the honeymoon is. It does make things a bit unpredictable, which is frustrating.

If your still having lots of hypos, continue reducing your basal. But keep a close eye on sugars, cos the low insulin requirement but just be a short term thing following illness. And get in touch with your DSN for advice on doses.

Grimm90999

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Recently I posted this:
I was ill over last weekend and since then I have been experiencing low BG readings of around 4 whereas I am normal running at a stable 6. <br />I have lowered my basal (lantus) from 17 units to 13 units (20% decrease) to raise it during fasting but all it does is drop still. At breakfast today I had 50g carb and didn't take any novorapid and there wasn't even the slightest raise in BG, was 4.9 before and after 1 hour of eating I was 5.1. <br />At lunch I had 70g of carb and no novo rapid and was 4.3 before but only 6.2 after. <br />3 ours after lunch I was back to 4.8 still with no novo rapid.<br /><br />Before I was ill I was having to have 17 units of lantus a night and 1 unit of novo rapid for every 12.5g of carbs<br /><br />I don't understand what is going on at all. Starting to worry as always dropping low and never raising <br /><br />Anyone got an idea?

Since then I have lowered my lantus to 10 units instead of the 17 I was on, so now lowered by 7 units.
For the last 3 days I have still not taken any novo rapid at all

Starting to worry.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
If even after dropping your insulin as you have been doing and you are still going hypo ask your DSN or GP if your cortisol levels can be checked You either have a sudden onset honeymoon period or another possibility is your cortisol is low so could have Addison's disease.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Grimm90999

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have only dropped my lantus and am running between 5.8 and 6.1 alday so no hypos at all but I am also not taking any novorapid at all when I eat and am staying at the 5.8 to 6.1 after meals. No rise or fall regardless of what I eat

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I have only dropped my lantus and am running between 5.8 and 6.1 alday so no hypos at all but I am also not taking any novorapid at all when I eat and am staying at the 5.8 to 6.1 after meals. No rise or fall regardless of what I eat
Well if you have lowered your lantus and stopped using your rapid insulin then you have dropped both insulin's!

Grimm90999

Type of diabetes
Type 1
OK yes I see my mistake there. But It seems very strange.
All my DSN says is keep lowering your lantus to get the numbers back to 6ish and that I made a good decision in not taking the novorapid.
Just trying to get some ideas as to why.
What did you mean by 'sudden onset honeymoon period' ?