Lowest carb ice cream?

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really bad question, but by any chance would you know which brand it's the litter carb ice cream? I was looking in Tesco and I couldn't really see anything below 11g per 100g.

I came back with Frank's diabetic ice cream against my better judgement and tried a spoon and it will probably stay there!

I know it's not the best food, but occasionally as the weather is hearing up I would like to share some with the kids

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not make your own ice cream? Then you'll know exactly what's in it.

Reactions: 10 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The Walls Mini Milk Ice Cream Lollies are quite low in carbs at 5g each, don't know if that would fit into your low-carb diet @Mrsmac247

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kelly's of Cornwall clotted cream ice cream is 12g carbs per 125ml portion - when I looked at ice creams that was one of the lowest I could find

yvonne49

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glucose spikes
My mum and I both tried Franks 'diabetic' ice-cream.I spiked to 10 ,she to 11! So not sure how it can be diabetic friendly.:) wish I could find low carb ice-cream but so far no luck. :)

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Really bad question, but by any chance would you know which brand it's the litter carb ice cream? I was looking in Tesco and I couldn't really see anything below 11g per 100g.

I came back with Frank's diabetic ice cream against my better judgement and tried a spoon and it will probably stay there!

I know it's not the best food, but occasionally as the weather is hearing up I would like to share some with the kids
Hi,mrs mac,my daughter bought me some offranks diabetic ice cream......yuk,straight down the sink

Reactions: 3 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cream freezes.. how about freezing tubs of clotted cream ? You could always stir in some fruit or fruit puree. My husband stirs Ella's Kitchen organic baby food fruit purees into yogurt, porridge, cream even sparkling water. Some are around 11g per pouch but it depends what the fat/carb content of the cream would be for the carb total.

Reactions: 4 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately I am reluctant to make my own just yet, I am still trying to learn how to cook our everyday meals the low carb way lol but I definitely like the idea of the mini milks and when brave enough will try the cream suggestion although not sure I can stomach plain cream just yet.

Thank you guys as always, always so helpful x

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Two ways you can daily make your own ice-cream bit take few minutes one is 'instant' other in bulk

"
Instant" ice-cream can be made using double cream blitzed with frozen berries (most supermarkets sell them in veg or dessert section just check that its just berries with no added sugars) it can be made almost instant with the frozen berries helping to 'freeze' the cream. If you also add vanilla or cinnamon or small amount dark coco powder (check carb level but it makes yummy black forest style ice cream) you can get a good variety.

Or to make a big tub of ice-cream super easy - Lidl do a big 1kg tub of greek yogurt (less than 4g carbs per 100g) make ice-cream in the tub it comes in, add berries (fresh or frozen) and/or other flavourings as desired, stick lid back on the tub and shove in freezer so you have a supply ready when you want

Or limit the amount and frequency and have good quality high fat ice-cream.

Reactions: 13 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like the big tub of lidl yoghurt idea, thank you, I shall pick up a tub next time I'm local:)

M

mojo37

Two ways you can daily make your own ice-cream bit take few minutes one is 'instant' other in bulk

"
Instant" ice-cream can be made using double cream blitzed with frozen berries (most supermarkets sell them in veg or dessert section just check that its just berries with no added sugars) it can be made almost instant with the frozen berries helping to 'freeze' the cream. If you also add vanilla or cinnamon or small amount dark coco powder (check carb level but it makes yummy black forest style ice cream) you can get a good variety.

Or to make a big tub of ice-cream super easy - Lidl do a big 1kg tub of greek yogurt (less than 4g carbs per 100g) make ice-cream in the tub it comes in, add berries (fresh or frozen) and/or other flavourings as desired, stick lid back on the tub and shove in freezer so you have a supply ready when you want

mmm think I'll give that a go :)

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately I am reluctant to make my own just yet
Hi Mrsmac. Making your own doesn't have to be difficult. You can buy the small cheap ice cream machines for about $20 (I got mine from an Aldi store). I don't know if you've seen or used one before, but basically they're just a freezable inner tub (with the freezing brine permanently contained within this double walled vessel) and a small motorized paddle/churn.

Forget about fancy recipes that involve egg yolks and cooking up a custard etc, I leave those for the whiz kids and the smart alecs. :D. The blueberry ice cream below is some frozen blueberries, some milk and some cream all thrown into the machine and churned for 12 to 15 minutes. Dead easy, and you have total control over what goes in so you really know what you're getting.

Here are some pictures of some that I just make today.

The basic mixture (this was just a little bit I had left over as I made a bit to much to churn in one go).
icecream-mixture.jpg

This is what it looks like as it comes out of the churn.
icecream-churned.jpg

And finally, in the bowl and ready to eat. :)
icecream-finished.jpg

Last time I posted about this someone asked for the recipe, but I wasn't sure of the qualities because I usually just go by "feel" and kind of make it up as I go. Anyway, today I payed a bit more attention to measuring stuff (well kind of approximately), so here is the recipe for anyone that is interested.

Procedure.

- Place 1 cup of frozen blueberries in a glass mixing bowl.

- Leave the berries for 15 minutes or so to partially thaw. (This prevents them from prematurely freezing the milk and making large crystals).

- Add about 3 or 4 teaspoons of Xylitol (or preferred sweetener) to the berries and mash a bit with a spoon to release some of the juice and colour.

- Add about a cup (200 ml) of milk and mix through to dissolve the sweetener.

- Add a similar quantity of cream.

- Place into the machine and churn it for about 15 minutes.

- Transfer to chilled bowl and place in freezer.

As with most homemade ice creams this is best served slightly soft, as it doesn't have the vegetable gums and other fancy stuff that commercial ice creams manufacturers use to prevent them from freezing too hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

yvonne49

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glucose spikes
That looks delicious. Think I will try it :)

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ooohhh I might need an ice -cream machine :) though it might be a little dangerous for my waistline

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow thanking you all for such wonderful ideas, I dont have an ice cream maker but never knew it was so easy. I am going to see if I can find a cheap one! I will visit this page several times over the summer and try each of the ideas...this is making me hungry lol

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

"

I occasionally use the first method, sometime even without blitzing them together - the cream still freezes around the berries. The second method, tub of Greek yog, is genius! Thank you, @Scimama!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow thanking you all for such wonderful ideas, I dont have an ice cream maker but never knew it was so easy. I am going to see if I can find a cheap one! I will visit this page several times over the summer and try each of the ideas...this is making me hungry lol

If you want to make modest quantities, Lakeland do a lovely little one: http://www.lakeland.co.uk/19704/Lakeland-Mini-Ice-Cream-Maker for £20. It makes 1-2 portions, so not great for a family, but some of the family sized options are ginagerous!

The beauty of Lakeland, aside from their high quality products, is that they operate an absolutely no quibble guarantee, whereby even if you simply don't like what you buy, or find it's performance disappointing, they refund your money.

Reactions: 3 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @AndBreathe I shall add that you my month end shopping, I get the feeling it will be a popular item in this house!