Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I agree with the government's stance in this case. The only reason that the manufacturers are lowering the sugar content of their drinks is to safeguard their sales not for any altruistic outlook on the growing Diabesity problem. If people want higher sugar then they must be prepared to pay more and to risk their health.

ETA And the remark about Diabetics being unaware of the changes is grasping at straws, diabetics can read labels and make choices.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Diabetics take many forms ( including type 1's having a severe hypo ) -- the changes do nothing to assist us and a once very reliable form of treatment for us has sadly given way to the PC diet brigade.

D

Deleted member 308541

Diabetics take many forms ( including type 1's having a severe hypo ) -- the changes do nothing to assist us and a once very reliable form of treatment for us has sadly given way to the PC diet brigade.
Very true mate.

The sugar cane crushing season has just started here in the Bundaberg regions three sugar mills / refineries.

The growers and workers are concerned this pc **** will roll over here, as that Jammy Oliver fool is shouting his mouth off in adverts against sugar here on tv.

Reactions: Cumberland

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
How incredibly irresponsible of Lucozade as it is well known to be the diabetics best friend in an emergency. I always have some in just in case. I'll be signing it.

Reactions: Cumberland

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am not part of the 'PC food brigade' neither do I rush out and buy the next so called superfood to hit the market. I found the old Lucozade far, far too sweet even before I was diagnosed T2. I am also not in favour of the nanny state but the rise in diabetes and in obesity especially in children shows that people are just not making great choices when it comes to a healthy diet (myself included).

Reactions: Crystalwand

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How incredibly irresponsible of Lucozade as it is well known to be the diabetics best friend in an emergency. I always have some in just in case. I'll be signing it.

Agreed. I find it particularly annoying as Lucozade is supposed to be a glucose drink. It might be different for those 'fruit drinks' that seem to have a lot of sugar and very little fruit, but when I buy a glucose drink, I expect it to have a fair whack of glucose in it.

There's no reason why Lucozade can't keep two or three of their flavours as full glucose/sugar, and make the rest lower sugar. They have enough flavours.

As for the sugar tax, they need education not taxation. I often see parents pushing trolleys round the supermarket with 8 or more 2 litre bottles of fizzy drinks. But what I also notice is the processed **** that surrounds those bottles.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not sure where to post this but was sent a link by another diabetic friend for a petition to bring back the old lucozade. Thought I'd share it in case anyone on here wishes to sign it

Thought they were keeping the traditional Lucozade but also making a lower sugar version, did the manufacturer have a change of mind?

There's no reason why Lucozade can't keep two or three of their flavours as full glucose/sugar, and make the rest lower sugar. They have enough flavours.

Ultimately their decision will be based on supply and demand.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The changes will be for the benefit of most of the public?? Diabetics can drink two bottles instead of one if need be??

Reactions: Gemma2

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Does Lucozade Sport provide enough carb/sugar (32gms) to do the job previously done by the old fashioned Lucozade. I notice they're less than a quid each if bought in 12s.

I also notice that diabetics aren't the only ones complaining, there seems to be many people complaining about the taste. I wonder what happened to their market research before putting out the new formula. Probably couldn't speak because of the Jamie Oliver (et al) tape stuck over their mouths. Sorry Jamie, you haven't quite got it all right. Nearly, just not quite.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Haven't tried the new stuff yet (was surprised to read in the petition that it tastes saltier!) but I've always preferred the pink lemonade version and that has always been at the same lower level that the original version has been reduced to. It does the trick ok.

Product page says it's 9.7g carbs, 8g glucose per 100ml, which is about two thirds of a typical water cooler cup, so we're not talking huge amounts here, seeing as 10g is generally enough to sort a mild common or garden hypo.

www.lucozadeenergy.com/product/lucozade-energy/bottles/pink-lemonade/lucozade-energy-pink-lemonade/168/

Usually have one of those dinky little bottles of Glucojuice handy, 15g per 60ml, ij case things get messy.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The easiest way instead of using lucozade just use ribeana it hasn't been lowered in sugars or carbs and you have to watch it though as it will send your sugars high and if you have a serious hypo that is the best way to sort out the hypo as that is all I use and I only use a quater of the 500 ml bottle of juice and my sugars will go from 2.6 to 4.9 in 5 minutes so I can have a snack bar afterwards and that is how I get around the new lucozade thing as it's a pain and you need to drink more out of the bottle of lucozade than you used to and it has no salt in the new one but it goes by what ever you can taste and your taste buds.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
As others have said, market forces.

Insulin dependent diabetics are a tiny portion of the general population so don't have much buying or voting power.

An interesting approach would be to offer a glucose drink on prescription only, but someone would have to foot the bill.

It is tough that an easily available option which many have learned to use is being reformulated. However it is possible that this is a good thing for the majority of the population.

I would rather see a carbohydrate tax (which would of course include sugars) but that is probably a step too far for the general population.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The easiest way instead of using lucozade just use ribeana it hasn't been lowered in sugars or carbs and you have to watch it though as it will send your sugars high and if you have a serious hypo that is the best way to sort out the hypo as that is all I use and I only use a quater of the 500 ml bottle of juice and my sugars will go from 2.6 to 4.9 in 5 minutes so I can have a snack bar afterwards and that is how I get around the new lucozade thing as it's a pain and you need to drink more out of the bottle of lucozade than you used to and it has no salt in the new one but it goes by what ever you can taste and your taste buds.

Both are made by the same company Lucozade Ribena Suntory. Haven't checked if they're planning on changing Ribena, as I don't use it, but maybe worth keeping an eye on in case they do without publicising it much.

Actually, couldn't resist having a look, product page says 10g per 100ml, don't know if that's changed, but it's about the same as the new version of luco.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Why not dissolve some sugar in water and bottle it, or is that a little simplistic of me.