Lucozade petition

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Apart from us lot, who the **** drinks lucozade anyway?

I can't recall any time ever before dx thinking, ooh, I'd really like a lucozade right now.

Mind you, that was 30 years ago before they started glamming it up a bit.I suppose back then, the image it had was of a bottle sitting on the hospital bedside cabinet next to a sick nan.

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@JohnEGreen and @DavidGrahamJones I was advised not to use sugar to treat hypos as it does not work as quickly as dextrose or a glucose drink.
Hi,
Got a low once whilst on a "tea break" at work. Since I'd already made coffee, I spied the sugar jar & put a teaspoon worth in.
Cooling the beverage for faster consumption with a little cold water & folloing it up with a digestive on offer (more like dunking the biscuit whilst consuming the drink .) I found the rise steady & effective enough to safely carry on my shift till the lunch break..

It's interesting the varied advice given to diabetics. A few months back I tested prior to an eye jab at the hospital at 4.6. They don't like any ID to be lower than 4.8 prior to the procedure. When I told the nurse to give me half an hour & I'll fix it. She advised me to eat half the bag of jelly babies I carried with me.. i ate two JBs & was ready to roll @ 6.1mmol. After they'd treated the guy that was meant to go in after me.

We are all different & we know what works for us in these events..

Reactions: DavidGrahamJones

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
She advised me to eat half the bag of jelly babies I carried with me.. i ate two JBs & was ready to roll @ 6.1mmol.

Agree, @Jaylee , one of the big things I got from my DAFNE course was just how little sugar is needed to nudge back up into range. As you say, half bag wrong, two right.

Not always easy in the panic of a hypo, but I'm very easy now with the idea of, "bloodstream, meet 10g of quick sugar, sugar likewise, let's see how you two get on, and I'll come back in 10 minutes to see how it's going."

Reactions: Struma and Jaylee

Iggym

I know the Cherry and Strawberry flavours ar still high in carbs (15g p/100ml). The nutritional information on Lucozade web site still has the higher carbs listed, so hopefully they will retain these two flavours with higher glucose content.

As another option, I would suggest using dextrose powder mixed with squash (or alternative). I used to use this a lot when cycling, and have as a secondary bottle to maintain BG. The dextrose powder can be bought relatively cheaply (e.g. Boots), instantly dissolves and doesn't taste too sweet. Another advantage, is that you don't have to drink a carbonated fizzy drink.

Hope this helps...:)

Ian

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree, @Jaylee , one of the big things I got from my DAFNE course was just how little sugar is needed to nudge back up into range. As you say, half bag wrong, two right.

Not always easy in the panic of a hypo, but I'm very easy now with the idea of, "bloodstream, meet 10g of quick sugar, sugar likewise, let's see how you two get on, and I'll come back in 10 minutes to see how it's going."

Lol, like a supervision order..?
Sometimes that 10 minute test following a hypo treat can show lower than the initial BS check adding to the panic.
Which is due to the lag? But as long as carbs are onboard, one should be heading in the right direction.. Of course keep a close eye with the meter.!
I would concur it is a "test" not to over react. My "Mathew 4:1" experiences when low still after all these years tend to be at night when woken from a hypo...

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from us lot, who the **** drinks lucozade anyway?

I can't recall any time ever before dx thinking, ooh, I'd really like a lucozade right now.

Mind you, that was 30 years ago before they started glamming it up a bit.I suppose back then, the image it had was of a bottle sitting on the hospital bedside cabinet next to a sick nan.
The only time I remember having had Lucozade was for a OGTT. The nurse had to make up the quantity from the dregs of 3 bottles which were totally flat. One of the worst drinks I have ever had. I have since discovered they did the test all wrong so it was meaningless anyway.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The only time I remember having had Lucozade was for a OGTT. The nurse had to make up the quantity from the dregs of 3 bottles which were totally flat. One of the worst drinks I have ever had. I have since discovered they did the test all wrong so it was meaningless anyway.

Possibly the nurse's "turn" to put out the recycling bin? :nurse:

Pretty shocking all the same...

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sometimes that 10 minute test following a hypo treat can show lower than the initial BS check adding to the panic.

Yes, absolutely. Depends a lot on how much IOB, and being able to suss out whether it's a mild drop or a full on hard drop.5 to 10g is normally fine for me, but then there's those moments where it's **** this, scoof a bottle. It's always judgement calls.

Reactions: Struma

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The ribeana I am thinking about is the one you give to the kids out of the shops straight away and it hasn't been lowered in sugars and it is still high in them as just checked in the shop around the corner and it is 28 grams per 100 ml of carbohydrates and it is in all of them the 500 ml bottles and I never touch the cheap bottles of energy drinks or cans as it tastes disgusting to me and I would rather drink pure orange juice to them and I don't drink orange juice that much just if I have to other wise I will keep calm and I don't panic about a hypo and I take my time as I don't want to make a mess or mistake and I know that I have the shakes but I still take care and attention and I am okay once I have carbs in my system and I have had a few minutes to let it get to work before I can do anything but panicking I think makes it feel worse than it is for some reason.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, absolutely. Depends a lot on how much IOB, and being able to suss out whether it's a mild drop or a full on hard drop.5 to 10g is normally fine for me, but then there's those moments where it's **** this, scoof a bottle. It's always judgement calls.

Those "keep calm" posters come to mind..."judgment" don't realy figure with a hypo.. :banghead:
Lol, I remember as a kid going low just before the bell rang for end of class? & not wanting to stand out as "special" with regards to treating it.. Probably the longest 5 minutes of my life while I "held it together"..

Reactions: JohnEGreen

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am pretty disappointed that Lucozade have lowered the carb content of their drink. I am fully competent and carb counting and reading nutritional labels, but was caught out with the recently lowered carb content of Lucozade... I'd used it for 3 years for hypo treatment and wasn't expecting/aware of a change.

Fully agree with @azure that education will trump any nanny state driven initiative that primarily has increased revenue at it's core.

Unless you use insulin or any BG lowering medication, I don't feel that you truly understand the importance of high carb drinks such as Lucozade... We shouldn't have to pay more just because gluttony and greed is causing a wave of obesity in the Western world.

Would you reduce the proof of vodka just because people were getting drunk? I don't think so...

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would you reduce the proof of vodka just because people were getting drunk? I don't think so..

Possibly not but over half of the cost of bottle of vodka is tax..I don't think they are taxing lucozade quite so much..
"The Spirit Duty you pay on a 1 litre bottle of 40% ABV vodka is 40% of £28.74, or £11.50."
from the tax on shopping gov.uk website.. Waitrose sells a litre bottle for £17.00

As for your statement..
We shouldn't have to pay more just because gluttony and greed is causing a wave of obesity in the Western world.
Surely it is more to do with insulin resistance than gluttony and greed?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Possibly not but over half of the cost of bottle of vodka is tax..I don't think they are taxing lucozade quite so much..
I really don't know @bulkbiker, I'm unaware of what the mark-up would be on a regular bottle of Lucozade? Naturally it wouldn't be as much as vodka, as that's clearly a lot more expensive.

Surely it is more to do with insulin resistance than gluttony and greed?
I would say that if an adult or child is drinking and/or eating ridiculous quantities of carbohydrates to make them obese; then that is purely greed. If their subsequent insulin resistance was directly caused from their awful eating habits, then it has to be said that greed caused the insulin resistance.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Would you reduce the proof of vodka just because people were getting drunk? I don't think so..
When you consider the damage alcohol abuse does It would be worth thinking about.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I watched the full version of That Sugar Film a few weeks ago. The Trailer is here ...

It is amazing just how much sugar is in the typical persons' diet. The film is about what happened to someone who ate the same number of calories as before, but ate a lot more sugar. The result was fatty liver disease in just four weeks. Sugar is highly addictive and food producers add sugar to get people hooked on their products. The only way to sort this out is to heavily tax food with added sugar. I have noticed adverts on TV recently for yoghurt with "no added sugar". People probably did not realise just how much sugar they have been consuming.

If Lucozade now contains less sugar, then just drink more of it, or get your hypo fix from another source.

Another informative film about sugar which covers the same topic of "That Sugar Film".

Last edited: