Majorly panicking about my baby's size and my blood sugars please give me some advice or experiences

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello :)
So any thread I have posted so far like most has been of worry worry and worry ... For that I apologise
I just feel so supported on this forum :)

Basically I am 23+5 weeks pregnant , at my dsn consultant appointment on Thursday the docs scanned my meter and expressed horror at how many lows iv had ... They asked me to be admitted into hospital ... However had to decline as I have a 7 year old son at home to look after ...
In my last pregnancy my dsn honestly told me and my partner that lows arnt ever good obviously they would never encourage them... But lows do not harm baby... Only the highs do... I had this issue with son it was prob worse if I'm honest ... Must just be how my body reacts with pregnancy... He was born healthily 7lb 4oz at 38 weeks ... Thank the Lord... Anyways my doc then was never worried about my extreme lows at all... All growth scans were ok etc he just said when I'm low it's a risk to myself which could put baby at risk... But main thing is not to run high constantly ...

Is this true ? My practical brain thinks so as yes docs have a duty of care to mother hence why they prefer level sugars and high just is trouble..but how can lows harm baby? Anybody know?

I am trying my hardest to keep my sugars stable they have improved lots from early pregnancy but get days where if I'm low it's a cycle and repeats repeats ... Then I panick when goes high and I over inject to correct :(

When I talked to a v rude nurse she said I was just lucky to of had a healthy baby last time and it wasn't my doing ...

I explained what my previous team had told me and she dismisses it ...

At my appointment also doc measured my bump for some reason and said its measuring too big... He wrote down it measures 28 weeks which is 5 weeks ahead of my dates ...
I'm off for a scan on Thursday to check on baby
He did say it could be as iv had a baby already my uterus is bigger and muscles are weak...

It seems a bit contradictory that they are so worried about my lows ... Which wouldn't cause baby to grow to big!..
But then are worried that baby could be measuring too big?
At 23 weeks which is what I what on thur baby hasn't even started packing their baby fat on yet have they... This is science not opinion ... So I really don't know what to think :-(

Anyone had this at 23 weeks and baby been fine?

My nurse text me today saying that my hba1 was 26 where as it was 31 at 10 weeks

I thought low hba1c was good? I never go so low anymore that I pass out ...

I had my app thur they demanded I come in Friday to talk to the nurses (was v pointless to me as I'm no expert obviously but iv been diabetic 16 years now and carried one baby already.. I know what they're saying ... Some of their advice is ridiculous ... How am I meant to measure or weigh Nutella which I only sometimes have on toast at 7 am on a school morning when I'm trying to test my sugars get mine and my sons brekkie get him ready for school ... Testing 15 mins after eating I won't do.. I test 30-60 mins after meals ... 15 mins my blood sugars don't change much! For me it's 1-2 hours but they just didn't listen to that...
Sorry for the rant
Feeling v stressed and dreading my Thursday appointment now too I am doing everything I can (apparently I test too much... But then I don't test enough I.e 15 min after food)
I just want to cry :-(

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Tilly_S I wish you all the best. You've already had a lovely healthy baby and your HbA1C results now are great, so you're maintaining good control. Just to say I'm no expert with pregnancy and can't imagine the additional anxiety on top of the usual diabetes worries. From what you say you're doing everything right by avoiding the highs. Please take care.

Reactions: Prem51

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok @Tilly_S A lot to answer there!

Tape measuring of the uterus can be inaccurate for a number of reasons. I had to have an extra scan because a midwife measured me three weeks out, but I was pretty convinced all was ok - as the scan proved.

You've pretty much identified what one of the causes of lows is - over-correcting. It's important to correct carefully. Aim for a sensible number - that is, don't aim for 4! Also, take into account when you're getting the high that needs correcting. Can you give a bit more info about that?

26 is a low HbA1C. The lowest I got was a 27, but that was through a lot of work and luck. How low are you going and how often in a day?

For testing, after meals, I tested at 1hr, and 2hrs. If you're rushing in the mornings, then stick to a few tried and tested breakfasts. I had cereal as it was easy to weigh consistently. I didn't always measure the milk, but that was ok as I tend to know by eye what I have and I always use the same bowl.

The most important thing is to not get stressed. That can send you both high and low, and obviously isn't good for baby - or you. I did breathing exercises when I felt stressed. These only take a few minutes - as in less than 5 minutes. Even a minute or two will help.

Hope that helps. XX

Reactions: BrianTheElder

M80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Maybe you have read about this in other threads, but I am just saying in case you haven't -is it possible to get a try from the hospital of the Accucheck Libre? They have been here in Glasgow, giving out some and even if it was just for 1 month, it would help you,yes they say if low double check, but I think the trend function could help you.(So you would still have to do the usual then) I have the opposite problem where I eat to much when hypo, not over bolus to get it down, and the arrow showing me if the trend is steady or up or down is very helpful. I feel for you, I can not understand the lack of sensitivity some have. However in my experience there are also very excellent staff.I had experience with both during my pregnancy, and it is some times just lucky these remarks dont make you just seriously panic.Like Azure says, do not stress, it is not helpful. Best wishes!

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi, just saw your thread. I have had 2 babies both healthy but I found my first pregnancy was more difficult. I didn't do anything differently, checked my sugars & adjusted with both pregnancies. I was induced with my daughter @ 35 weeks, she was 9lbs, ended up c-section & my son was c-sectioned @ 38 weeks weighing 9lbs 4. I don't think you are causing any harm to the baby with the lows but this isn't healthy fir you, it must be causing you stress. I would seek help from your diabetic consultant to try & raise your hba1c. I dud have a great team working with me to give advice, hope you can get the same support. My baby doctor at the time said he thought I would have had big babies regardless of bring T1 diabetic. Best of luck x

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi thanks for replies :)
Turns out docs measured bump wrong ... I had my scan Thursday baby looked healthy and perfect weight for gestation Thankfully , I also brought up the fact that they were potentially worried baby was too big... yet weren't happy with my lows how does that make sense ... he got a bit stumbled up and agreed baby wouldn't be bigger with lows so that shouldn't of been said ...
anyways they saw my meter and were much happier with readings so I don't have to go until next Thursday now so am feeling happier next scan 3 weeks again

Just 3 more months to manage

Reactions: azure