Malaysia and pumps - airports

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I'm flying to Malaysia next month and wondered if anyone had been through there and what the attitude to pumps in security was?

WHM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have travelled through Malaysian airports with a pump on several occasions and not had any issues. Make sure you have a letter from your diabetes team with you and worth getting a translation done (check Google for this). Went to China a few years ago with pump and the English version was met with puzzled expressions from security staff but the Chinese translation made life easier.

Reactions: tigger

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I went to Indonesia and Singapore this year and they were absolutely fine with the pump, I just said medication and they seemed to accept it and just waved me through without searching me or making me going through the body scanner !

Reactions: tigger

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I travel to Malaysia about 4 times each year, going again in few weeks. Never had any problems at all with pump or diabetes kit.

Word of warning, if your flying to KL then onwards on an internal flight. Allow plenty of time on your return flight to KL as there are only a few desks for passport control from the internal Malay terminal to the international terminal - I've been held in a queue for over an hour transiting. It has been getting so bad that I'm now avoiding KL and flying via Singapore to Malaysia.

If your flying direct to your destination then should be no issues.

Last edited:

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Thanks for all the responses.