1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Managing exercise and insulin

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Juicyj, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

H Dave how do you manage your blood glucose levels when you do long distance ? Any tips ?

2. Davie_sett

Davie_sett Type 1 · Active Member

i can normally feel my energy levels increases and decrease with my blood sugar levels i normally take lots of lucozade original to drink during the cycle and if i have them energy gels and are good becouse there so quick and easy to eat if im doing a long way on the bike ill stop mybe after about 30 miles or so and check my blood i think after about 90 mins of exercise even a non diabetic will start to hypo a bit. I have heard of cyclist sticking there blood testing kits on the handle bars but iv not gone that far yet.
    the last long cycle i did i only gave myself 6 unit of novo rapid after breakfast and had alot of sugar during the ride and the blood was perfect when i got home I will stay more sensitive to insulin for the rest of the day and mybe the next day its never the same though

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. NoKindOfSusie

NoKindOfSusie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good thing I didn't read this thread for a while, I wouldn't have gone swimming. But I did.

The only reason it worked was that I was travelling and was in a time zone where I was taking lantus in the evening rather than the morning. I find I tend to wake up really high, like 7.9 or 8 often, so I have been setting an alarm in the middle of the night to correct it. But if I'm taking it in the evening, then if the lantus is running out then you'd expect to go higher in the afternoon... and that's exactly what happened. So I just went swimming in the evening.

It still meant I had to take stupid risks and I will not do it again, I ended up eating half a granola bar before jumping in, god knows how high I spiked but I got in at 5.9 and just thought I'd swim until I felt bad, because I'm taking exercise, so I am unavoidably going to feel terrible, right?

So I blasted up and down until I was thoroughly exhausted, panicked, tested, 5.0, okay fine. I have no idea how high I would have been during swimming and I can't really keep doing that. But it was the first actual real exercise I'd had in weeks.

My main conclusion from this is that exercise is basically impossible when I'm taking lantus in the morning. And insulin is horrible poison that I really hate taking, but it's not like I have much choice, is it...

4. Davie_sett

Davie_sett Type 1 · Active Member

I just take one dose of levemir which i assume is similer to lantus at about 8pm and it keeps the blood suger pretty stable for most of the day from what your saying about your blood reading there doesent seem anything wrong with them im no expert but i wouldn't consider anything under 10 high

5. NoKindOfSusie

That's sort of the problem. I have no idea what's high, really. I have been told to avoid being over 7 (repeatedly) but that appears to be basically impossible. It would be nice to believe that anything under 10 is not high but I am worried that would be wishful thinking. In the end I have no idea what to think or how worried I should be and that is the big problem. I'm told my numbers are OK, but the same people who say that are the people who say be between 5 and 7 so what the... jeez it's just maddening.

6. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey @NoKindOfSusie - Living with type 1 is more mental than physical, dealing with the highs and the lows and accepting that they are just that and ensuring you are in 'range' before meal times means your insulin coped with the carbs on board and you were taking the right amount of insulin for the food eaten. I use the Libre sensor so it means if i'm running, swimming or doing yoga then I can check my BG levels and also see what happened during the exercise, it's an investment but it will give you confidence of what is really going on. In regards to what is considered high, personally anything above 10 is high for me and that's when i'll take a correction if the quick acting insulin has been depleted, trying doing a pre-bolus before eating to avoid spikes if you're going higher, however you'll need to experiment to determine how long before eating you will need to do this, I tend to do mine about 15-20 mins before eating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. cockercas

cockercas Type 1 · Member

I cycle (about 12miles a night)
    Boxing once a week
    30min high intensity training a night
    All part of keeping fit for motorcycle racing

I come home from work and have my tea, do what i need to do and check my levels after i have finished. Normally i can get away without injecting in the evening.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NoKindOfSusie

How can it be more mental than physical. I'm not going to imagine all the complications.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook