Managing the Bernstein eating plan

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Thx for sharing this Ian. My BG drops with me drinking a Stout for me its like my new dessert.

I totaled up your calories and comes to over 3,000. My belief is that part of the reason Dr. Bernstein is so affective is that he eats in the under 1,500 range.

IME if I really cut back on the total calories a day I can increase my % of low density carbs and actually eat grains without the negatively impacting my BG.

I believe part of the secret to Bernstein is his personal low calorie diet.

Whoops, I forgot to add my bullet proof coffee to the totals, so another 500 calories and 60g fat making 3,500. I seem to need around 3,500 calories per day to maintain weigh (12 3/4 stone, 80kg, 178lb). A couple of months ago I sat down and detailed all my food intake and exercise into one of the apps (my fitness pal I think), and it said my forecast weight was 12 3/4 stone, exactly as I am. My exercise equated to around 400 calories. I found it quite hard to balance calories and protein. Carbs is easy, but now I seem to have it sorted, with the help of 500 calories from bulletproof coffee. If you reduce calories you loose Weight. I would like to put a little on.

Reactions: 2 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
On a typical day:-

.....................carb cal prtn fat
Pre breakfast 2g 418 3 43g
Breakfast. 4. 702 32 62
Lunch. 20 1181 48 91
Dinner. 11 746 10. 73

Breakfast an dinner are very consistent. Lunch varies (above is for lamb chops salad, but it maybe steak, gammon, chicken or salmon). Sometime I swap dinner for lunch, if we eat out in the evening.

All the things below seem to reduce my BG levels a little. If I can do all, my readings will be a hole point lower. Two weeks ago we were ravelling for a week in different hotels, within 3 days my BG were a point higher and took 3 days once home to get them down again.

* Exercise. Twice per day, Enough to make you sweat, but too much and I have seen my BG rise. 1hr fast walk is great, 30 mins on the exercise bike (in front of TV) is great, especially late at night before bed.... Seems to trick the body into low BG when asleep.
* Fatty meat. My BG readings are always a little lower when I eat lamb chops, and higher if I eat chicken breast. More fat, less protein. But protein effect on BG reading is often delayed by a day or so. The more fat less protein the better!!
* test early. My pre breakfast reading is always lower the earlier I get up and the quicker I test when I get up. If I get up late, but have been awake for some time in bed my BG reading is always higher.
* between meal eat and drink. I never now eat between meals, and also try to only drink water between meals, thus eliminating all carbs between meals.
* alcohol always lowers my BG readings. I always have a pint of Guinness whenever I can over a meal, 3 glasses of red wine in the evening also always lowers my BG readings, but I tend not to drink much alcohol, so now use it as an emergency measure when away, when I can't get much exercise in.
* if not able to exercise at all during the day, I try to cut back on protein... One bacon instead of two for breakfast, fish instead of meat, or reduced meat portion.

Hope this helps
Ps lunch carb is high because of the pint of beer. But my meter says ok (to 1 pint, it says no to 1 1/2 pints!), so I drink it!!.... Dr Bernstein says the same.
Forgot to add my daily bulletproof coffee. 500 calories 60g fat (1g carb 1g protein)

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Whoops, I forgot to add my bullet proof coffee to the totals, so another 500 calories and 60g fat making 3,500. I seem to need around 3,500 calories per day to maintain weigh (12 3/4 stone, 80kg, 178lb). A couple of months ago I sat down and detailed all my food intake and exercise into one of the apps (my fitness pal I think), and it said my forecast weight was 12 3/4 stone, exactly as I am. My exercise equated to around 400 calories. I found it quite hard to balance calories and protein. Carbs is easy, but now I seem to have it sorted, with the help of 500 calories from bulletproof coffee. If you reduce calories you loose Weight. I would like to put a little on.

Ian how lucky are you!!! If I ate 3,500 calories ( even when running daily ). I'd be massive ( especially under the stomach ).

It just goes to show just how unique we all are when it comes to diet and diabetes.

Have you always been able to eat like this? Remember that Olympic swimmer Philips? He supposedly at 12,000 calories a day while in training.

I'm going to be cursing you while I eat my 1,500 calories a day which means 2 bread sticks and a tiny piece of cheese for lunch (-; and struggling not to gain any weight

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Ian how lucky are you!!! If I ate 3,500 calories ( even when running daily ). I'd be massive ( especially under the stomach ).

It just goes to show just how unique we all are when it comes to diet and diabetes.

Have you always been able to eat like this? Remember that Olympic swimmer Philips? He supposedly at 12,000 calories a day while in training.

I'm going to be cursing you while I eat my 1,500 calories a day which means 2 bread sticks and a tiny piece of cheese for lunch (-; and struggling not to gain any weight

What weight are you? You must weigh a lot less than myself. I am 6'-2" BMI 22 to maintain my weight my calculated calorie intake requirement is 3,000. I burn around 500 calories in exercise. I struggle to eat 3,500 calories, I wish it were less, which it was some 8 months ago, but I lost a stone in a Month.... Now back on and trying to maintain it

Have you checked your predicted weight on 1,500 calories with one of the online weight calculators? Worth doing.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
What weight are you? You must weigh a lot less than myself. I am 6'-2" BMI 22 to maintain my weight my calculated calorie intake requirement is 3,000. I burn around 500 calories in exercise. I struggle to eat 3,500 calories, I wish it were less, which it was some 8 months ago, but I lost a stone in a Month.... Now back on and trying to maintain it

Have you checked your predicted weight on 1,500 calories with one of the online weight calculators? Worth doing.

Amazing. My height is 5'9.75" now I've shrunk about an inch or more.

I'm 192lbs with a lot of muscle but stomach fat that is under the muscles.

Supposedly I should weigh 173lbs or less. My basal calculation in calories to maintain that weight is under 1,600.

In my case this does not seem the case. Wish I had your problem (-;