Maple syrup, a possibility or not?

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
I suppose it depends on what you want from it. Some, like me, cannot tolerate maple syrup because it makes BG levels soar which is understandable since it is a sugar.

I am not convinced that it is a sensible food for diabetics - but, as always, test, try and test to see what it does to you. :)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Suffolkboi,

The claims that maple syrup has anti-diabetic properties are stretching the truth somewhat. The “magic ingredient” that has been discovered is that maple syrup contains phenols. These lower blood pressure, which carries a higher risk for diabetics, but although they are present in maple syrup they seem to be at a lower concentration than you find in a glass of red wine or even dark chocolate.

Far from being good for diabetics, have a look at this from the carbohydrates.com website

Not permitted on low carb diets, syrups (like Maple Syrup) are typically 'empty-calorie' foods (high-calorie, minimal nutrition) with no dietary fiber. Moreover, syrup is high in refined carb sugars and high on the Glycemic Index, which means it causes a rapid rise in blood-sugar levels, leading to excessive insulin production and a sudden drop in blood glucose. The longer-term health effects of high-GI foods and consequent unstable blood sugar levels, include hyperglycemia, hyperinsulimia, obesity and other symptoms, known collectively as insulin resistance syndrome. Increased risk of diabetes is another possibility. Bottom line: if you want to lose weight and stay healthy, keep your intake of refined sugar carbs in foods like Maple Syrup, to a sensible minimum.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Patch said:
I wonder if maple syrup CAN be included in a diabetic diet. I imagine it would have to be in VERY small qty's...

Maple Syrup CAN be part of anybody's diet (if you like it). You would as you say have to have it in small quantities and test to see if it had any effect. The part they are talking about is just one tiny part of the whole........I would imagine the constituent on it's own it MAY help, but together with all the other constituents it might be overshadowed.......not be any benefit at all ?

I laughed when I saw it was research and an article sponsored by the Maple Syrup industry.. :wink: Helps sell a product I suppose.......then again I always was a cynic..... :)

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
Honestly I sometimes wonder if I am still diabetic.. no I kid :lol: But I do eat allot of maple syrup and pandakes and im fine.

If your having it once or twice a week or month just try and see its not going to do you any lasting harm.

frenchkittie

suffolkboi61 said:
Several of these anti-oxidant compounds newly identified in maple syrup are also reported to have anti-cancer, anti-bacterial and anti-diabetic properties.

Hmmm, not true in my case I'm afraid.

For years I used to have a dollop of maple syrup in my porridge every morning. I stopped eating it when I developed T1 diabetes :roll:

I'm now also undergoing chemotherapy for cancer, so I'm not entirely convinced by the reported benefits in that area either (unless I were to smear it on my baldie bonce to glue my hair back on) :lol:

It is very tasty though.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to have a dollop of maple syrup in my porridge every morning.

That's like smoking crack using a lettuce leaf for a rizla! :lol:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I hear crack is great for weight loss... I think I'd rather stay fat, though! :wink:

Carol11

I don't have it as much as I used to and it doesn't raise the bgs any worse than table sugar for me , just make sure it is the real thing not one ot the many fakes on the market. If you're going to have the carbs have the good stuff. Carol , from here in maple syrup country.