Margarine on the way out?

fatbird

After years of telling us margarine was a healthy option have the marg companies thrown in the towel ?

"In what Unilever Foods President Antoine de Saint-Affrique calls a “fundamental turnaround” of a $4.8 billion business that has struggled for years, Unilever in September added butter to Rama in Germany, the biggest spread brand in that market. After years of positioning butter as the enemy of margarine, the battle is over, he said in a Dec. 5 investor conference.

Unilever’s surrender comes as butter makes a comeback, lifted by new nutrition research, cooking shows like “The Great British Bake Off,” and a consumer embrace of all things natural. Per-capita butter consumption hit a 44-year high in 2012, according to U.S. government data, while margarine is at a 70-year low. In Germany, butter outsells margarine by a three-to-one margin, and the gap is widening as the latter failed to grow in 2013, according to data tracker IRI."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-17/i-can-t-believe-it-s-butter-in-my-unilever-rama-spread.html

FB

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I do love butter on my toast but use a oive oil spread in sandwiches.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
After years of telling us margarine was a healthy option have the marg companies thrown in the towel ?

"In what Unilever Foods President Antoine de Saint-Affrique calls a “fundamental turnaround” of a $4.8 billion business that has struggled for years, Unilever in September added butter to Rama in Germany, the biggest spread brand in that market. After years of positioning butter as the enemy of margarine, the battle is over, he said in a Dec. 5 investor conference.

Unilever’s surrender comes as butter makes a comeback, lifted by new nutrition research, cooking shows like “The Great British Bake Off,” and a consumer embrace of all things natural. Per-capita butter consumption hit a 44-year high in 2012, according to U.S. government data, while margarine is at a 70-year low. In Germany, butter outsells margarine by a three-to-one margin, and the gap is widening as the latter failed to grow in 2013, according to data tracker IRI."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-17/i-can-t-believe-it-s-butter-in-my-unilever-rama-spread.html

FB

Not surprised the worm is turning,especially when you see the steps in the processing of margarine-a real eye opener for sure,plus along with the fact that butter has been around since the Ark and tastes miles better than margarine.

Reactions: 2 people

fatbird

Not a day goes by and we are hearing about the perils of sugar. Now marg is seen as junk. Whole fresh foods is the way forward for all.

How butter is made.

FB

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Not in my butter Douglas!

But even if there was-I'd still eat it over Margarine anyday!:)

Reactions: 4 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Margarine has been around for a long time. You can blame the French for it. The emperor Napoleon III offered a prize for anyone who could produce a replacement for butter for 'lower classes' and the armed forces. Originally though it's main ingredient was beef fat!
I was 2 years old when rationing finished, my mother and grandmother had learned to use margarine. We ate butter on our bread in childhood but we cooked with margarine. It was cheaper and budgets were tight. Pastry was half margarine, half lard. A Victoria sponge had 4oz of marg not butter. Then margarine changed and became soft so one could use it in baking without the arduous hand beating to cream a hard fat. Absolutely nothing to do with taste, saturated fat or nutrition, just ease of use. (still used butter on bread)
I think it took me till the 80s to realise that butter tasted better in cooking .
Now I don't eat margarine at all but I only eat a little butter.If I eat bread it's good bread and needs no butter. If I cook I use olive but in small quantities .I eat olive and nut oils raw on salads. I don't make cakes or pastry any more.
The end of margarine, I doubt it. I suspect that there will be slight changes, a new incarnation and new marketing strategies.

Reactions: 8 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
[/media]

There's no added sugar in K

I've been stockpiling Kerrygold after seeing how sought after it is in the USA so I'm building my very own butter mountain before the price skyrockets!:woot:

Reactions: 8 people

fatbird

douglas said

"And, in an effort to further improve butter sales, add..................................sugar!"

You're squeezing my melon man what planet are you on. Kerrygold sugar I don't think so.

FB

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
douglas said

"And, in an effort to further improve butter sales, add..................................sugar!"

You're squeezing my melon man what planet are you on. Kerrygold sugar I don't think so.

FB

I sure enough people squeeze your melons without me.
Read the link.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
OK Douglas,so we can ascertain it's not low carb per se you have a problem with but it would appear you have a problem with natural,healthy sat fats in the diet,defending processed low fat products at every oppurtunity so what IS your angle? My angle is that natural sat fats are healthier,tastier and leave me satiated.

Reactions: 9 people

fatbird

How many butter brands in the UK put sugar in to improve butter sales. None that I eat. Stick to kerrygold a quality product no added sugar. You just can't beat quality saturated fats.

FB

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
OK Douglas,so we can ascertain it's not low carb per se you have a problem with but it would appear you have a problem with natural,healthy sat fats in the diet,defending processed low fat products at every oppurtunity so what IS your angle? My angle is that natural sat fats are healthier,tastier and leave me satiated.

No angle, just pointing out the irony of what butter makers will do to increase their market share.
I must admit, I thought it was quite funny, rather than confrontational.

fatbird

"I must admit, I thought it was quite funny, rather than confrontational."

I never cease to be amazed at your sense of humour-give us a break-let us in on the secret.

FB

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

If I wanted to be confrontational, I'd point out the latest
ADA study
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/Supplement_1/S11.full.pdf

states

"Saturated fat intake should be ,<7% of
total calories."

page S22

but I don't tonight, so I won't.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type