Marmite!!

sue32

Dislikes
false people
At long last someone has found something useful to say about this wonderful thing!! I drink 2 mugfuls a day and I'm proud to say I LOVE IT!!!! :lol: :lol:

sue32

Dislikes
false people
It certainly is Catherine. Although the study can't conclusively say whether or not it would work in humans I'm willing to try it!! :D :D

jaykay

Will be trying that then! It's all very well saying our choices of food are limited once we are diabetics. There are so many things we SHOULD be eating to help with this, heal that and boost whatever, that I'm fast running out of time to get them all down me gob in one day! :lol:

hallii

Marmite has changed, it is now a runny and milder flavoured immitation of it's former self.

On the other hand Vegemite is not runny, has less salt (but still a lot) and tastes much better.

Vegemite is made in Australia, (sorry about the cricket you Aussies).

H

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I was a great Marmite fan until it changed in consistency, strength and flavour, now I'm a Vegemite man :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Absolutely love Marmite and always have, especially nice when you have boiled eggs and toast! :D

Nigel

bspace

not sure i could get the amount of benfotiamine i'm taking
from a scraping of marmite on toast
or a spoonful in a mug of hotwater

though it might indicate that the NHS are finally waking up to the benefits of benfotiamine

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's all a big trick to get you to read the whol article!!!

The NHS said:
Although Marmite may contain vitamin B1 (which is similar to BFT), it is not possible based on this study to say that the amount of vitamin B1 in Marmite has any benefit to diabetics as the Daily Mail has suggested.

Eating marmite can't do any harm, though! (The Thiamin and B12 are known to be beneficial to diabetics - not to sure about the salt and yeast...!)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
[quote="Patch"
Eating marmite can't do any harm, though! (The Thiamin and B12 are known to be beneficial to diabetics - not to sure about the salt and yeast...!)[/quote]

Reading through this thread Patch and I wondered the same thing about the salt content. Anyone know the salt in say, a teaspoonful of Marmite? I don't have a jar to hand as I'm not a Marmite lover but I am guessing it is pretty high.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A 4g serving has 0.44g of salt (7% of the RDA) .........................well I can live with that! :)

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That's 11% salt...

{Won't stop me eating it, though. Besides - it's the toast that I eat it with that I need to cut out!) :lol:

sue32

Dislikes
false people
I believe that the amount of the errrr......stuff......in Marmite that is good for you can be got in 2 tsp of Marmite a day. So that's only 2 mugs of the stuff......so my aunty tells me anyway!!! :D :D :D

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you really drink Marmite? I love me some Bovril - but Marmite doesn't sound like it'll be the same when added to hot water...

sue32

Dislikes
false people
It certainly is OK Patch. I don't eat bread, so don't have toast, but I have a mug of Marmite for lunchtime, and maybe a mug early evening. Now, Bovril is just as good. I remember as a child, if I was sick, my great grandmother - who lived till she was 105 - gave us a Welsh concoction called Brawis (pronounced brow - iss). It's just a slice of bread with hot Bovril soaked into it. May sound yuck to most of you but, believe me, when you're feeling yuck it really does make you feel all warm and better!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: